Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
How are the latches working on new Forzas? Are they doing this outside knob add on to the new 2020/2021 Forza RVs? If not, how did they fix this issue?

Why don't the compartment doors on my Adventurer fly open? The latches on my Adventurer look IDENTICAL to these in every way. What's different about the Forza installation?

Maybe this fix is cheaper because the slam latches are installed into a painted surface and the cost to replace that latch with a new one would have to include painting them to match the existing latch on the motorhome. About the only option without painting would be to replace those latches with Chrome latches so they don't have to each be pained.

All of this is just guessing here....
All good questions and I'd be only guessing here putting on my engineering hat but each model of MH's (i.e. Forza's, Adventurers, Horizon's, Journey's). I don't know which one has the same latching system that the Forza has but I can say each of those models have different setup to frames, weight differentials to deal with, flexing, etc... that all impact the latch differently. My Forza seemed to only open when I was going slow usually heading into a campsite. Only happened about 3 times. But I wasn't going to chance it opening up going 65 MPH down 75 Like some others have happen. I bet only a small % of folks with the Forza's from 2017-2019 have had issues and probably less will take Winnebago up to install this fix. I doubt that number is every available to the general public. Normally the NHTSA looks at recalls for a variety of reasons the if the Mfg. doesn't voluntarily do the recall they will make the decision for them. Even if there's only a small % of that particular models that have had issues, NHTSA bases their decisions rather on it being an unreasonable safety risk or fails to meet the minimum standards. I'd be happy not to have this issue or even the possibility of it existing in the first place. Ironically when I dropped it off the other day there was 2 other 2019 Forza's there. One just had it completed, so I was able to see what it looks like and another up next to get it done.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:22 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

I have the new latches. I had already done the adjustments over a year ago, so my compartments rarely popped open.

The added latch is metal and has an L inside that grabs the wall, and pulls it tightly closed. Not the best engineered fix, bit it fixes the issue. Might help keep water out driving through rain.
Pkc303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkc303 View Post
I have the new latches. I had already done the adjustments over a year ago, so my compartments rarely popped open.

The added latch is metal and has an L inside that grabs the wall, and pulls it tightly closed. Not the best engineered fix, bit it fixes the issue. Might help keep water out driving through rain.
Yes it added a 2nd set of latch es which only open and closes the ew L-shaped latch which doesn't lock which is fine for me and I think it does a better job of not only securing the basement doors but as you stated seems to keep it tighter in a way to keep rain out. IMHO its fairly simple to open it along with the main latch takes but only a few seconds of extra time so I have confident this issue is behind me and don't have to keep looking into my side view mirrors after hitting sone rough road to see if one popped open anymore.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #44
Winnebago Watcher

secondary latches

The dealer added secondary latches to each cargo door on our new to us 2018 Forza. They are thumb screw type latches located above the original locks. It was done under a winnabago recall at Lazydays of Tampa, Fl. Seems to work well, these will not let the doors open.
Entrylevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrylevel View Post
The dealer added secondary latches to each cargo door on our new to us 2018 Forza. They are thumb screw type latches located above the original locks. It was done under a winnabago recall at Lazydays of Tampa, Fl. Seems to work well, these will not let the doors open.
Yes, as I mentioned it was done to mine...btw welcome to the Forum. What Forza do you have BTW. There are a few other recalls that might apply to yours if its a 38W, if you haven't checked it out you might want to. One such is the rear inner tire issue that was on another thread I had posted. Where in Florida do you live or are you part time?
Old 01-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #46
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the welcome. We have a 36G they also did some front end recall work. It was only 30 days ago i'm thinking they did all the current recalls. Do you have any idea how to open the engine hatch on the floor in the bedroom? Looks like there may be a key of some type?
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. We have a 36G they also did some front end recall work. It was only 30 days ago i'm thinking they did all the current recalls. Do you have any idea how to open the engine hatch on the floor in the bedroom? Looks like there may be a key of some type?
Yes it's a key different from a normal straight type house or car key. They should've given it to you with the keys for the motorhome. I've attached a picture for you. The key is like one to small safe or bike lock. It's important that you have that key since it gives you top access as well as top view of the engine. Have you owned a Class A DP before ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210112_123153.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	176813  
Old 01-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

OK, Thanks I'll be sure to get one of those keys if I don't already have one. This is our first class A. We spent the last 18 months full time in a class C. We pretty much are going back to everyplace we've been just for the heck of it and to see our grandkids along the way. Just thought this would go up the mountain passes a little better and not have to be as concerned about weight plus all the extra room.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
OK, Thanks I'll be sure to get one of those keys if I don't already have one. This is our first class A. We spent the last 18 months full time in a class C. We pretty much are going back to everyplace we've been just for the heck of it and to see our grandkids along the way. Just thought this would go up the mountain passes a little better and not have to be as concerned about weight plus all the extra room.
Your welcome and not sure what Class C you had but should be better I'm sure it would be better. BTW I sent you a Private message (pm) with some info.
Thxs
Old 01-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #50
Semper-Fi

Installed the locks and they do not work

I just had 11 of the recall locks installed on my Forza 34T and six of them do not work. The other five are holding on by a thread. The latches were installed too far from the compartment wall to actually engage and keep the door locked. Not sure who's at fault for this is, but the dealer (General RV) says they were installed based on Winnebago's specs. I just contacted Winnebago and requested to substitute the latches on the locks for longer ones, as this would be the only solution, besides replacing my doors. I have attached a few photos of these new locks. What a pain. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	176919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	176920  

Name:	IMG_1701.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	176921  
E.Forteza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Forteza View Post
I just had 11 of the recall locks installed on my Forza 34T and six of them do not work. The other five are holding on by a thread. The latches were installed too far from the compartment wall to actually engage and keep the door locked. Not sure who's at fault for this is, but the dealer (General RV) says they were installed based on Winnebago's specs. I just contacted Winnebago and requested to substitute the latches on the locks for longer ones, as this would be the only solution, besides replacing my doors. I have attached a few photos of these new locks. What a pain. Hope this helps someone.
Sorry to hear that LaMesa did mine in December. Did you find this out before you left General RV? If so, in spite of their claim that they followed what winnebago told then to do, are they washing their hands of it now I'd? I'd checked mine all out inside and out before I left and they seemed to have done a great job. Took a trip to the keys a week later and they are working fine. It's good info you provided for others to be wary of. I'm not sure if there's much difference with your basement doors vs. my 38, if not, then I'd be concerned if they really did follow the instructions. I would've thought after installing each one they would've checked it out. Perhaps someone else with your model and who had the update and aren't having any issues could take some measurements to compare yours with there's. I'll check mine out as well.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #52
Semper-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
Sorry to hear that LaMesa did mine in December. Did you find this out before you left General RV? If so, in spite of their claim that they followed what winnebago told then to do, are they washing their hands of it now I'd? I'd checked mine all out inside and out before I left and they seemed to have done a great job. Took a trip to the keys a week later and they are working fine. It's good info you provided for others to be wary of. I'm not sure if there's much difference with your basement doors vs. my 38, if not, then I'd be concerned if they really did follow the instructions. I would've thought after installing each one they would've checked it out. Perhaps someone else with your model and who had the update and aren't having any issues could take some measurements to compare yours with there's. I'll check mine out as well.
I met with the service advisor who told me everything was done correctly and asked me to sign the paperwork for the recall service, which I did. Once we went outside to inspect the work I informed him that the lock on several doors was not working properly. He conducted his own inspection and agreed that they were not working properly. He then said he would contact Winnebago and request longer latches as it appears that they were installed too far from the frame. I accepted his word and left. Later I emailed him to verify he was going to order the parts and that I found several more locks that were very close to not working properly, but he did not reply.
E.Forteza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Forteza View Post
I met with the service advisor who told me everything was done correctly and asked me to sign the paperwork for the recall service, which I did. Once we went outside to inspect the work I informed him that the lock on several doors was not working properly. He conducted his own inspection and agreed that they were not working properly. He then said he would contact Winnebago and request longer latches as it appears that they were installed too far from the frame. I accepted his word and left. Later I emailed him to verify he was going to order the parts and that I found several more locks that were very close to not working properly, but he did not reply.
I'd keep after them or ask talk to the Service Manager. My experience with Service Advisors over the years is when there's an issue with the work they oversee they usually will stop answering your VMs and emails. I'm running across it right now over the last month over something that they owe me so moved it to the Service Manager yesterday. If nothing from him after a few calls I go higher up. Unfortunately accepting their word just leaves you open for him to deny it or change it down the road. Write things down and exactly what happened, who was there and the time/date it happened. Take pictures and keep records of anyone else you email or talk to about it including Winnebago. After a conversation I always will follow up with an email not only to the Service advisor but to the Service Manager as well. Same goes for Winnebago. Not to say that they won't take care of it but it's best to write things down and follow up ASAP so if they disagree then they should respond. I've attached some pictures so you can see what they did to mine. Hopefully they'll launch right. all latches were basically at the same height though I noticed that they vary distance from the side to the center of the latch. The only one that was off was the latch to the door with the propane and that's because it's set up to catch the small storage space above the tank in order to lock it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210121_174033.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	176924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210121_174039.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	176925  

Name:	20210121_174057.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	176926   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210121_174106.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	176927  

Name:	20210121_174223.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	176928   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210121_174255.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	176929  

Name:	20210121_174346.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	176930  
Old 01-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #54
tcf
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kalish View Post
Received info on remedy from Winnebago Dealer, they are adding a 2nd black turn knob
Latch to each of the 13 storage doors. After waiting two years for a remedy, not happy with the remedy. My opinion is this changes the appearance and resale value of our units.
(if you have a defective latch you do not just add a 2nd latch and leave defective latch)
Not awful but feel this is just a patch job for poor engineering!
Love to hear opinion from other Owners.
Thanks
Tom
I received a recall notice (NHTSA Safety Recall 19V-512) a few months ago for the troublesome compartment doors that are reported to fail to stay closed while moving down the road. Although I have not experienced this to date on my 2019 Forza 34T, I decided to take it in to LaMesa RV in Phoenix for the fix assuming that the latches would be replaced with improved versions. Upon picking the coach up I was shocked to see what the solution was. Each door was drilled and fitted with a second latch requiring a black knob on the outside of the compartment door! Each side of the coach now has five black knobs sticking out and they are not even horizontally aligned with each other. To make matters worse, half of them (5) don't work . . . the doors still open even when they're supposedly latched. This, in my opinion, is a cheap, lazy solution that negatively impacts the asthetic and resale value of a very expensive asset.

I called Winnebago's customer service in Iowa to express my dissatisfaction, and after several days of waiting for a reply, I managed to speak to Winnebago's Manager of Customer Care & Service and explained my displeasure with the NHTSA "fix". He sympathized and said he'd relay my complaint up the chain, but after several more days of waiting, he said there was nothing they were willing to do about it . . . this was the agreed-upon answer to the safety recall and for liability reasons they were legally obligated to comply. Customers have nothing to say about it unless they choose not to have latches and sign a waiver relieving Winnebago of liability. He added that the doors on new Forzas have been completely redesigned and not compatible with earlier models. All in all I am very dissatisfied with Winnebago but I don't know where else to go other than file a suit for diminished value.
tcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcf View Post
I received a recall notice (NHTSA Safety Recall 19V-512) a few months ago for the troublesome compartment doors that are reported to fail to stay closed while moving down the road. Although I have not experienced this to date on my 2019 Forza 34T, I decided to take it in to LaMesa RV in Phoenix for the fix assuming that the latches would be replaced with improved versions. Upon picking the coach up I was shocked to see what the solution was. Each door was drilled and fitted with a second latch requiring a black knob on the outside of the compartment door! Each side of the coach now has five black knobs sticking out and they are not even horizontally aligned with each other. To make matters worse, half of them (5) don't work . . . the doors still open even when they're supposedly latched. This, in my opinion, is a cheap, lazy solution that negatively impacts the asthetic and resale value of a very expensive asset.

I called Winnebago's customer service in Iowa to express my dissatisfaction, and after several days of waiting for a reply, I managed to speak to Winnebago's Manager of Customer Care & Service and explained my displeasure with the NHTSA "fix". He sympathized and said he'd relay my complaint up the chain, but after several more days of waiting, he said there was nothing they were willing to do about it . . . this was the agreed-upon answer to the safety recall and for liability reasons they were legally obligated to comply. Customers have nothing to say about it unless they choose not to have latches and sign a waiver relieving Winnebago of liability. He added that the doors on new Forzas have been completely redesigned and not compatible with earlier models. All in all I am very dissatisfied with Winnebago but I don't know where else to go other than file a suit for diminished value.
So first off Welcome to the Winnebago forum I see this is your first post. Great place to get information. I have to ask did you ask them what they were going to do before they did it? Its a habit I've had for most of my life in dealing with everything from RVs, cars, trucks, etc. I've always hated surprises. Before I brought mine I asked for specific information on what they were going to do and asked to see the work and since they had 2 in there a year newer than mine and I could see how it was done. If you are interested or have questions please post it on this forum there's a endless wealth of information. As mentioned earlier they've since redesigned the latching system though I haven't seen the difference but as they've said the NHTSA has the final say on the fix. I had the same issue with a Class A FR Georgetown GT5 had the same problm but they opened up on the highway several times. FR tried to fix them but failed. Frustrating because there was no NHSTA recall on them. Wished there was. Anyway sorry you not happy but wish you happy travels in your new MH. Thanks

Tags
door, recall, storage