Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Forza slide motor repeatedly fails, replaced

Has anyone else had this problem?
We purchased our 2019 Forza 34T in June of 2020. It was used with 11,000 miles. We were informed at purchase that the right rear slide motor had been replaced. Since that time we have had FOUR replacements of the same motor through 2 different local service centers and one AT the factory in Forest City, IA! Extended warranty covered the first one we had to have replaced, Winnebago factory installed one was covered by their warranty, and now a other has failed! The module and wiring have been checked. We do have a residential refrigerator and stacked washer dryer on that side but they are in the center of the slide. The last two motors failed after 2 uses! RV is always leveled when slides have been extended.
Service center is contacting Lippert.
ymclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced the front passenger slide motor for the 2nd time in 6 months. First time, I took the coach out of storage and couldn't extend the slide. Last week while at Hilton Head for a few days, the slide wouldn't retract.
Dealer replaced the 1st one in September ($960) but they can't now say why it failed. This time I saw the motor that the mobile tech pulled out and the top of the motor (maybe the synchro mechanism?) is rusty. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st motor rusted out too. PS I've been carrying a spare motor with me ($450).

Between rain and A/C condensate, water must be getting into the motor slide cavity. I looked at the slide today in light rain and see water dribbling down at the bottom of the slide coming out from behind the slide flange. Some of that water must be splashing onto the motor. Curiously, the motor has a sleeve of heat shrink around the top portion of the motor, but the top is open and allows any water landing on the top of the motor to seep into it. I plan on sealing the tops of all the motors with silicone caulk.

I'm waiting for some goodwill from the dealer. Initially they asked ME "how did you get the motor wet"! WTH?? Hoping for at least a new motor out of them, if not reimbursement for the mobile tech ($300 job).

Anyone else having these problems with 34T or any other Forza models?

Photos are shown after the open-top black heat shrink sleeving was removed to show the water damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	182347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3800.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	182348  

CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Rusty slide motor

Thanks for mentioning the rust. That was found on the one the factory replaced and failed within a month! Sounds like a call to the factory!
Old 04-06-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Part information

I have a 2017 Forza 34T. I think I would like to stock this motor too. Is it the same motor front and back, and on both slides (for a total of 4)? Does anyone know the part number and brand?
Clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago - Lippert

With the multiple replacements within 18 months, one being installed at the Winnebago Factory, Winnebago is reviewing their records on the overall number they have replaced for coverage through the Lippert 2 year warranty. I think this may be a good many mitors that may have had problems. We shall see.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Once again!u

Got the RV out today and of course the slide won’t go out. The right rear slide motor moves a bit then stops. Further attempts at extension results in a noise coming from the motor. There must be moisture affecting the motor. I am calling the factory and dealer. We are now considering repair and sell it.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

This really looks like the "standard" motor used on lots of slides and without too much trouble. Looks very much the same as on our 2015 Vista!
I think that will put it out of the motor design problem but squarely into the placement of the motor on this specific RV!

They are designed as open frame motor and not designed to get wet but it really look like they are getting wet every time it rains!
Winnebago may have screwed this up big time??

But then, it may be easier to deal with adding a cover over the motors, rather than the really difficult trek of getting a design change.
Maybe as "simple" as slipping a plastic bag down over them? But that's not very simple because you have the hard part of getting to them first!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

2016 Forza 34 T and have had slide repair three times . Lichtsinn replaced last summer as winnebago was booked . Said I had two different motors and that's why slide was crooked . First two times by C W .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago 2020 Forza 34t slide motor

We have a Winnebago Forza 34t
Drivers side rear slide rack is chewed up and binding, jumping and making noise. I ordered a couple of new racks and gears and watched Lippert’s generic video on changing them, pretty straight forward and easy.
They say to first remove the motor (their video shows accessing from the side) but I don’t see how to access the motor on the Forza

Anyone done this?
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

How do you access the motor?
Old 02-26-2023, 11:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Found reason for multiple motor failures.

Returned to our service provider. They water tested the entire slide. Upon Inspection the slide topper had a tear at the very back and had been somewhat repaired by previous owner with staples! This is the source of the water entry when slide is out. New toppers all around. Motor replaced, seals in both slides replaced and one slide module. Warranty covered some of the problems.
Be sure motor is always running, put down jacks first, then slides then turn motor off. We will do a better job of treating the slide seals.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I am seeking how to access the Drivers side rear motor on the Forza
Old 09-23-2023, 01:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Passenger side slide

I have had multiple failures in the past 6 months as well with the front passenger side motor and was starting to wonder about moisture getting to motors. Any suggestions on water-proofing these motors?
Kiphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We had a ‘19 34T and went thru 3 motors, passenger side front. All were water damaged. First one was a warranty job, the other 2 were replaced on my dime. Last straw was when the slide was stuck out in Hilton Head on checkout day and I overnighted a motor from Amazon and had a mobile tech do the replacement. I said never again and traded the Forza in for a B with no slides. LOVED the Forza floor plan but tired of all the other problems (body panels coming unglued, compartment doors flying open, woodwork falling off, awning screws pulling out, microwave and front A/C crapping out, battery tray supports falling off, wet compartments, wonky steering, squishy floors. Ugh)
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, slide