Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
NewbieCA

If my slide is out and the motor fails how do I retract

I am new to RVing and just purchased a 2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE. If my slide is out and the retract switch does not retract the slide for some reason, how do I get the slide to go in and stay retracted until I can get it to a shop?

Haven't had this problem yet for we are just doing our maiden voyage this coming weekend but I'm trying to get my knowledge base up to speed in case we have an emergency.
Terp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Post There is small a learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp71 View Post
I am new to RVing and just purchased a 2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE. If my slide is out and the retract switch does not retract the slide for some reason, how do I get the slide to go in and stay retracted until I can get it to a shop?

Haven't had this problem yet for we are just doing our maiden voyage this coming weekend but I'm trying to get my knowledge base up to speed in case we have an emergency.
Download the correct pdf of the slide out manual for your model of trailer for starters. In my case the kitchen slide out is manufactured by lippert and I keep the original paper version of the owners manual for it and other essential how to info in the trailer.

You may have to remove two covers inside the trailer to gain adequate access to the motor drive assembly as I do with our 2016 winnie drop. I then need to disconnect the drives with standard tools. Then carefully push the slide evenly back to closed and secure it as instructed in the case of slide motor failure.

Some designs have an emergency crank under the trailer ours does not, but if it did I would still need to disconnect the drive shafts from the motors. .

I also carry a small step ladder with me in the largest pass through so that cleaning any debris off the top of the slide out before sliding in when camped in treed environs is easy. Camping in Parksville I had to remove some sizeable pieces of Douglas fir branches and all the leaves and dirt which accumulated during a heavy storm.

Thanks for reminding me to service the slide again this spring. It is done with a high quality spray grease available from decent retailers that stock it. Wipe and clean the outer tracks then spray them carefully in the teeth along the rails. Then use a rubber silicon conditioner after cleaning and inspecting the seal. Make sure that the upper seal flips back and forth correctly and that all the weather seals and especially the floor rollers on the bottom of the slide are all in prime condition and most importantly that there are no problems with the slide track alignment setting and the slide seals up straight and true compressing the inner and outer side seals about 50%.

Don't slide it out until as level as possible, maintain it correctly and you will do just fine. Our lippert slide out also calls to have the power to the unit turned on while in transit. Needless to say with the slide fully in. But I do switch the power to the slide control under the sink off when parked and do not leave it on. Which sucks too much battery power.

The slide controller is designed to have a small amount of pressure from the motors to the slide gears if the power is turned on without the in-out buttons being pressed, according to the manual.

To state the obvious for some who read this:
Our unit can have problems if you keep the button pushed thinking that it will help the slide to seal and the manual warns the user not to keep full power to the motors after the slide either closes or opens completely to the seals. Which is one of the main causes of motor or gear alignment failures. Bouncing down back roads with a slide partially out might also contribute to slide gear alignment issues out here in the boon docks of North America that is.
Yes the statement in the previous paragraph was a little pedantic but then again I do read pedantic crap like trailer slide manuals!

Another possible unforeseen issue may easily occur if you fail to check to be certain that nothing is hidden or has fallen behind the slide covers inside the trailer before sliding out. I my case I have to use a flash light to be certain, especially if our granddaughter has been playing inside the trailer with the slide in. Crushed dolls are not necessarily going to cause a slide out failure but something like a rock getting in under the slide out just might,

All the best and happy camping. Something which I too hope to be able to accomplish again and soon,
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp71 View Post
Chapter 10 of the Operator Manual for your coach describes the slideout operation, including the emergency retraction procedure.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

oops motor home not a shack on wheels sorry. But the operation of slide outs is almost the same that I have come across. Keeping the seals and slide mechanism in top shape is the ticket regardless of whether or not the mobile residence has a drive train and and a steering wheel. IMO
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

build some muscles and CRANK

Most slides have a crank mechanism to move the slide in or out manually. The manual system could be two long screw bolts or a cable/pulley system depending on your rig. As stated above in some, one has to disconnect the mechanical system. All depends on the size or the slide and the design they went with.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Chapter 10 of the Operator Manual for your coach describes the slideout operation, including the emergency retraction procedure.
Yes exactly, download the Operators Manual if it was not included as it should have been when you bought the coach and review the chapter on slide out operation and emergency/manual retraction.

Winnebago stands out among the RV manufacturers in making their manuals, parts listings/diagrams, plumbing and electrical data available to anyone who desires. Check out their website and you will find much of this information going back to models made as far back as the 1970's.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Neil V great link to the documents. Many thanks. Winny has gotten better organized with the manuals, and making them openly available for sure and its a great thing given the frequency of maintenance tasks expected for our lives best, all involving hobby!

The slide emergency retraction process described ain't pretty or for the faint of heart, they ought to engineer a simpler fix to disengage the electromechanical/hydraulic and a nice manual system such that one does not need several people! But hey we love what they throw together and busy ourselves maintaining it and taking care of it. The pic of a box cutter to pry open a cover with the pointy blade next to the fiberglass wow.

So good to see that de-lamination issues are getting rarer as time goes in the industry.

Tags
slide