Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2023, 06:28 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn17TourQD View Post
Wife came out and said im getting the high voltage alarm again. And by alarm it makes a noise at the control center about every five seconds. I’m beginning to think this coach may be a little sensitive????? Have been on two different shore powers here . Don’t know how hot the inverter is suppose to get , so i’m keeping the door open a little.
Wife said when she turned the ac down to get more ac the warning came on, when she turned it back up (warm) it went off.
That’s all for now . Thanks all ! It definitely takes a village to take care of me��
Depending on the make and model of your inverter, the low and high voltage limits are user adjustable The normal settings are low = 108VAC, high = 132VAC.Actual voltage limits for each appliance may differ, but that is not important for your issues. This is why it is so important to tell us the small details of every component that is involved.
According to your MH's sales brochure it has a 2,800W pure sine wave inverter w/remote panel, but does not ID the brand. Within the inverter settings you should find the incoming voltage limit settings.

As for taking care of each other here, that's what the forum is for.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 06:55 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, if I start having issues again I will, but with the face of the inverter bolted to the wall options may be limited. I really can’t believe the design for no access when this inverter was mounted. Now it may be four bolts and it drops down, but why?
Thank you!
Winn17TourQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:33 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn17TourQD View Post
Thanks, if I start having issues again I will, but with the face of the inverter bolted to the wall options may be limited. I really can’t believe the design for no access when this inverter was mounted. Now it may be four bolts and it drops down, but why?
Thank you!
Well, there are different ways to look at that question! What would be the purpose of getting it down when the input and outputs are so much easier to access?
The idea with newer electronics is that we check the in and out and then if needed we put in a new one as most of us will never be able to sort out the parts inside.

I can't think of any reason to be looking at the inverter for the alarm you are getting?? Many of the books indicate it should be off when shore power is available as a way to stop using battery to make AC when you already have AC.
But that differs from RV to RV.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:39 PM   #24
LOG
Winnebago Camper

While the high voltage alarm is going off, check the voltage at one of your 120 volt outlets to see if you are actually having high voltage.

Maybe your high voltage alarm is broken.

When you have shore power, the battery charger runs.

When you do not have shore power, the inverter runs.

If you lose shore power, and the inverter comes online, it will run your batteries down in a matter of hours, not days.

The inverter will not run your air conditioners. If your coach is wired correctly.

Turning the air conditioner thermostat to make the ac run will lower the voltage, not increase the voltage. Turning off a running air conditioner will increase the voltage, not lower the voltage.

When there is shore power, the inverter passes thru voltage to operate most of your 120 volt appliances. This voltage is coming from the shorepower, not from the batteries.
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 03:57 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Yes I got that backwards on the a/c thing . When all three are running, no beeps when one shuts dow it starts.
As far as the high voltage I know it’s coming from the shore side but when we tested both shore pole that I have access to they are not good . And are on separate circuits according to the resort.. so , I’m thinking that it’s either in the transfer switch or inverter. It is a magnum inverter 2800 , I will read up on it to see how I can adjust the settings. As ther is no reset switch or anything to adjust on the unit itself.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:58 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Both poles are good I meant to say!
Old 10-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #27
LOG
Winnebago Camper

The inverter will not increase the voltage. It is only passing the voltage thru.

The transfer switch will not increase the voltage. It only passes the voltage thru.

If you are having high voltage in the motorhome, it is coming from the shorepower.

Disconnect from shorepower and run your generator. And see if your high voltgage issue goes away.

Nothing in the motorhome will increase the voltage.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:18 PM   #28
LOG
Winnebago Camper

Plug a volt meter into one of your 120 volt outlets.
And see what the actual voltage is inside the motorhome.
All of the readings at the pole, at the inverter, etc. are one thing.
The voltage at your 120 volt outlets tell you the voltage all your appliances and equipment are receiving.
I have requested this test three times.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Maybe a review of what we've got so far will help to point the way?

The shore power has been checked and that is a pretty simple thing, so we might assume it correct?
The surge protector says the power coming in is good.
The inverter does not make 110AC, so is not likely to be involved.

But the monitor puts out an alarm that says power is too high. But nobody has actually put a meter on anything inside to see what the voltage actually reads?

Seems like time to do some real testing to see where the voltage is bad or why the monitor is giving a false alarm!
When the simple things say all is good but the more complex things that fail more often say it's bad, I tend to think it is the complex thing that has a faulty brain!
But that is where a simple voltmeter is needed to gets the real truth!

A corroded neutral can make the voltage read high! But it takes testing to find where or if that is true.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:06 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

In his other thread it was suggested his VOM might be faulty, to try another and observe results. Has he accomplished that task?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:27 AM   #31
LOG
Winnebago Camper

I do not know about the OP's VOM.
And, I am not an electrician.
But, there is a good chance, better than 99.9 percent, that if he does not have high voltage at the RV Park's power pole, he does not have high voltage in the motorhome.
Most motorhomes do not have equipment that will raise the AC voltage.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:01 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Yes, this is one we can count on, so if the monitor is showing high voltage, it is a good place to check!

But it is also true that trying to sort trouble without a meter is going to be a chase!
Old 10-12-2023, 03:27 PM   #33
LOG
Winnebago Camper

You can take a horse to the river or lake.
But it is hard to make it drink.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:06 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Hey, doing the best I can here. No, not an electrician either.. when every breaker was tested I didn’t think I would have to check the outlets. As they are at the end of the leg.
That also doesn’t explain why the inverter stopped working , but is now…..still get high voltage alarms, but now they are hour apart. Will get , and learn how to use a voltmeter when I leave. Which will be Monday. In the meantime time I will read as much as I can on this magnum inverter . I will have someone check my power reel, and transfer switch to make sure tight an no arcing has occurred. And I will test the outlets when I can. I still love the coach, but it is testing all my patience! Really like this campsite here and will most likely winter here next year . Will go back to Indy now and try to get things worked out!
Thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2023, 10:08 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

The meter part is almost like asking a mechanic to fix things without tools. It really is one of the best tools to keep on the RV as it tests so many thing from the batteries to the generator to the shore power.
On things like the battery, we need to know more exact answers than yes or no. So we need a meter to say it is 10, 12 or 14, etc. not just off or on.

I hate to spend money more than most but when I drive 50-100 thousand down the road, spending $30 more for a meter seems right!
Old 10-13-2023, 05:50 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

The batteries are brand new . Just had them installed three days ago. But will check all of them when I get home . Most likely Wednesday. Will also check the outlets. Will also see if I get spike when I get home and plug in. As I never have gotten one from my house outlet. Never had this many issues with the Fleetwood gasser! And thanks again for trying to help out a fng!
Old 10-14-2023, 06:46 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

You need to start looking at the reel connections and transfer switch box . Voltage at post is within range and not your problem . You have a problem at the incoming connections in the coach . Did the tect open the transfer box or reel connections ? Should of started there .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, winnebago