Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Charging/Cranking Issues

I recently brought a 2002 Ultimate Freedom with under 13500 miles. Took it out, and had issues with one side of the lights, electric outlet and TV not coming on. Had this issue prior to taking it out. Repairmen said it was a solenoid had it replaced and now have the same issue, along with the battery nit staying charged. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike Watts
Mwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwatts View Post
I recently brought a 2002 Ultimate Freedom with under 13500 miles. Took it out, and had issues with one side of the lights, electric outlet and TV not coming on. Had this issue prior to taking it out. Repairmen said it was a solenoid had it replaced and now have the same issue, along with the battery nit staying charged. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike Watts
Good day to you Mike. Take a look here: https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_138940.pdf
I don't know if this is your model but it will be close. Most everything is fed from the inverter. It is on?
Batteries not charging is a problem. Need to run out now. Take a look at the DC wiring diagrams for more help.

Rick Y
Old 04-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Part of this sounds very familiar as it is a frequent flyer on the forum! Keeping the batteries charged can be a whole discussion alone, so how about working it as two seperate problems?
The lights and TV not working can be several different things, from an inverter not turned on to keep AC power when not plugged in or it may be something like a breaker, etc. if the problem is there when also plugged in.
So that leaves us needing a bit more specific details and one place to start is to get the correct details on drawings that show the layout of the RV.
So can you tell us which of the two models you have? 40JD or 40 WD? There are likely small differences as well as options, so I like to start at the correct point when possible!

For info, can you tell us more specifics of which lights and what type as well as which outlets are not working. Most lights are off the 12VDC setup, while the TV is 110AC, so that kind of looks like two seperate problems on the lighting but it can also be closely related, so that specifics can cut the chase a whole bunch.

The starting charging is an area where there are several points to go wrong and one of the big ones may be hitting you. The batteries and all items in that section have to be good but one of the most frequent problems is corrosion and if the repair folks are not really into doing a totally great job, they may change some parts and while doing it, the corrosion gets knocked off the cables and it will work good ----for a while, until the corrosion builds up again! See where I'm headed? The solenoid should not have failed again so soon but if the cables connecting it all together are dirty, it acts the same way!

You are fortunate in that your year has good online info to search out where all those connections are and we can start with helping, but tell us where and which RV?

I suspect you have basic DC problems more than tricky/ expensive stuff!

EDIT:
I did a quick check and find I am very much wrong on what info is online for locating parts on your RV, so that does make it more difficult if you are not familiar with where things like the solenoid are located!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging