Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I need new cranking batteries. My Horizon 40AD came with two Interstate Workaholic 31MHD, 950 CCA, sealed, maintenance free batteries.

Should I replace them with the same or is there something better? Should I stay with sealed, maintenance free batteries?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I need new cranking batteries. My Horizon 40AD came with two Interstate Workaholic 31MHD, 950 CCA, sealed, maintenance free batteries.

Should I replace them with the same or is there something better? Should I stay with sealed, maintenance free batteries?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't have an answer, but I do have a couple of questions. Did your chassis batteries get damaged by overdischarging? Do you have a Trik-L-Start (or equivalent) installed?

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My batteries have suffered from storing several months with no charge. No, I do not have a Trik-L-Charge and don't want one. I do not want to rob the charge from my house batteries. I have an auxillary charger hooked up to the cranking batteries when we are camped that does a great job. My problem is when my RV is in storage. I have tried solar and it didn't work - probably not large enough. The only good solution is to stop by the storage facility and run the generator every two or three weeks. I live in Denver and we have had snow since before Christmas, not a good time to visit the coach in storage.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Winne added a chassis battery disconnect switch in 2006, I believe. Perhaps one could be retrofitted?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem the first winter we stored our Journey. The parasitic current draws on the batteries from the engine and transmission ECU's completly discharged my starting batteries.

I was surprised, but after jump starting the rig, I've had no battery problems. In subsequent years, I've always pulled both negative battery cables off the two batteries when storing it for 5 months.

I don't recall the brand, but I do remember Sams Club having group 31 starting commercial starting batteries with the 950 amp rating. I figured if I was in a jam and needed them in a hurry I'd go that route.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

First, have the batteries checked to see if they can be recharged and hold that charge. If not, two year old batteries should still have some warranty left to help with the replacement costs. Interstate batteries are a good, respected brand so I would not think your problems are brand related.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I am pretty sure the batteries are bad. I charged them for 5 hours on a 20 amp charger. Two weeks later they registered 11.7 volts on the inside panel.

I am not bashing Interstate batteries. Just trying to determine if I should replace with the same. I have always questioned having maint. free batteries. Any suggestions?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

It's possible there is enough parasitic draw on the engine batteries that they will discharge to 11.7 V over 2 weeks, especially in cold weather.

Before you go out to buy new, try it again, and check the voltage after 2-3 days. If it's up in the high 12's (12.5-12.9 V) you should be OK.

The other suggestions in this thread will stop the parasitic discharge: the disconnect switch install, or just disconnecting your battery leads while in storage.

Worst case (maybe easiest, depending on how you look at it) is to remove your batteries when the coach is in storage, take them home to a dry warm (not cold) place and use a trickle charger to keep them charged thru the winter.

Personally, removing the batteries to me would be a pain.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

One more suggestion on testing the batteries -- take one out, fully charge it, and take it to a battery store. Most have load testers for batteries, and will test it for free.

I did this on my car battery, which discharged by sitting for few weeks. Thought the battery was NG -- tested perfectly good. Now I keep a trickle charger on it (it's in storage for the winter).

I'd hate to spend $200 if I didn't have to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I agree with Don - 11.7 after 2 weeks doesn't sound like bad batteries. Just for a test, you might charge them, then disconnect the negative cables and check after 2 weeks. If that solves the problem, then spend the battery money on a convenient disconnect system...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the suggestions to install a battery disconnect. Where would it be located? Do I need to get a Winnie part?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

In regards to the 11.7 volts after 2 weeks. I also charged the house batteries and after 2 weeks, they were 12.8 volts. Of course the solar charger on the roof helped.

There is no way I am going to take the batteries out when in storage. I should not be lifting them (back injury). A battery disconnect is a possible solution.

I am so tired of messing with the cranking batteries. We plan to head out on a trip about 3 weeks from now. I am ready to purchase new batteries just not have to mess with them. Maybe the battery store can install a battery disconnect switch.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The 2007 brochure shows a rotary chassis battery disconnect switch located in the engine compartment. I'm not sure just what it would take to install one--probably running some new battery cables. It might be worth a call to Winnebago Customer Support to ask what would be involved.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

LK23 -- Agreed. I wouldn't want to mess with taking these batteries out either. They are large and heavy. My comments (and others) are focused around whether or not your batteries are NG. I would think a good battery store could check your cranking batteries to see if they are good or not. I hate to see you buy new ones if these are perfectly good. On my prior DP I did not replace my cranking batteries until the 5 year mark (and even then they were still good).

The battery disconnect switch is in the rear engine compartment area. Became standard equipment in 2006.

There are many pre-'06 owners out there having the same problem as you. This is why Winnebago made this disconnect switch standard, along with the Trik-L-Charge to keep the cranking batteries charged when you are parked and connected to AC. I am sure Winnebago can give you info/part number if you would want to have the disconnect switch installed.

If you don't have to buy new batteries, maybe the $200 can go towards the new switch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I called Winnebago and they said the battery cut-off swithch is a Freightliner item. I am waiting for Freightliner to call me back.

Has anyone seen a battery cut-off swithch that mounts on top of the batteries? Pros and cons?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to one that Camping World sells.

Pros - cheap and simple

Cons - probably would generate a spark when you open or close it. Also, I don't have any idea about the amps a diesel starter draws, but their switch is rated for 700 amps and your batteries are rated for 950 cold cranking amps. Doesn't sound like a good match.

Maybe an auto parts store would have a higher rated switch, but you still have to be concerned with the sparking in a battery compartment. That's probably why FL is using a sealed switch that's well away from the bats.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

A marine store should have an switch you can use. boats usually have switches to shut off the batteries when you leave. It's is a straight forward install, just put the switch in series with the postive cable of the battery bank. You locate it where you can reach it and also where it is easy to connect to the battery cable.

West marine, if there is one near you has these switches see page:

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/0529.asp

of their online catalog.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I forgot to say that the marine switch will be spark proof - you don't want sparks in boat engine compartments.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

LK23--Like you we live in Denver and have had it with this very long and cold winter. I had the dealer, K&C in Colo Springs, install a cut off switch and a Trick-L-Start for this very problem last year. I purchased the coach a year ago and the origional owner keep it in a heated garage but had to start it every few days to keep the starting battries charged up. I started the coach for the first time in three months, two days ago, and it fired right up. The switch was smaller that what I had looked at but seems to work OK, so far. It has a large key that can be removed when you cut off the power and is located on the battery tray frame just above the starting battries. The Trick-L-Start, if it is installed properly, is not hooked up when the battery cut off switches are off. I did also install all new Interstate battries. Good luck with everything and think spring!!

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote