Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Add a roof vent

Hello,
I have a 2003 Adventurer 35U and I would like to add a ceiling vent to the bedroom area. Does anyone know if there are roof plans available? I want to make sure I don't cut into any wiring, air ducts or structural components. ;-)

Suggestions or comments from anyone who has don this?

Thank you.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStreit View Post
Hello,
I have a 2003 Adventurer 35U and I would like to add a ceiling vent to the bedroom area. Does anyone know if there are roof plans available? I want to make sure I don't cut into any wiring, air ducts or structural components. ;-)

Suggestions or comments from anyone who has don this?

Thank you.
Have you checked out Winnebago’s site? You can view many diagrams on their web site.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Wyatt,
I've seen wiring and plumbing diagrams, but I haven't seen a roofing diagram. Do you know if there is a website that has this information? That would be awesome.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

JimStreit, I was worried about the same issues when I wanted to put a couple of holes in the roof of my 2003 in the bedroom area. I saw a suggestion on another thread in this forum to contact Winnebago directly for help. I did contact their support phone number and talked to a very helpful person. They emailed me the exact drawings of everything in the area of concern so they may be able to help you out as well. As I remember, it took a couple of days to get the information but saved me lots of worry about cutting into something. In my case, I had to avoid various wires, the A/C ducts, and metal bracing/brackets but no plumbing. Good luck!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Pre-2018 Adventurers have a ceiling full of Styrofoam with channels for A/C supply and return. Can be a very tricky thing to get right. Also, they run wires, cables and such in dedicated channels throughout the whole roof area.

I know that's what you're seeking to avoid - but as I said, it's quite comprehensive and very difficult to modify things there. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

As an added or alternate method, have you considered using one of the really neat new gadgets to see what's in the ceiling before cutting? They will not tell you the difference between a styro air duct and the other ceiling but it would let you see the framing members as well as wiring. For the air duct, it might be possible to just look at the ducts to spot where a line of them show up.
Logical these might also be rental items?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zircon-M...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I would still want to aproach with care as I started cutting as there might still be low voltage DC wiring that was not spotted. But for that type wiring, cutting and splicing around the vent would be an option to avoid setting the vent off center to avoid any wires.
They will definitely spot the stud framing members which would be my main worry and then cutting one layer at a time as I exposed what was inside would get it within my comfort zone.
One point to keep in mind is that big box stores like Home Depot do have the advantage of taking one home to see if it shows what you want to see and then if it doesn't work for you, return it. The last one of these I bought was not able to spot things reliably through thick damp plaster so it went back.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There's also this cell phone based stud finder that will also locate wires, PVC pipe, metal, etc:

https://walabot.com/diy?gclid=CjwKCA...RoC0DcQAvD_BwE

You'll probably need to educate yourself by scanning where you know something is, like an A/C vent, etc.

I, too, was able to drawings from Winnebago that weren't available online.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

From a couple of the comments, it sounds like I should contact Winnebago directly and see what information I can get. I'll provide an update.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hey all,
A quick update. I called Winnebago service and they where able to send me roof drawings for my rig. Now I can see where it's OK to make holes in my roof. :-)

Jim
Old 07-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStreit View Post
Hey all,
A quick update. I called Winnebago service and they where able to send me roof drawings for my rig. Now I can see where it's OK to make holes in my roof. :-)

Jim
Can you share them with us? Mine is a 2002 Suncruiser 35U so I'd assume they were pretty much the same.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Here are the documents I was sent. Two PDF's.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 141952J.PDF (676.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: pdf 114074V.V01.PDF (102.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #13
WinnieAdven38

Yes - Roof diagrams are available, but you have to call Winnebago Tech help to tell them exactly what you need so they can email PDF drawings to you. You will want at least 3 - roof wiring, roof ducting, and rood structural (so you know where the cross beams are. (3 different diagrams)

I did the exact thing you are asking about to our 2005 Adventurer. Really wanted a proper ceiling vent fan over the bed, but before cutting a 14 x 14" hole in the roof needed to make sure I was not going to hit roof bracing or cut through wiring or across roof venting. Winnebago sent the diagrams I needed and was able to accomplish this after careful measuring.

Installed a MaxxAir ceiling vent fan, needing a 14 x 14" cutout. Connected wiring by running a surface mount wiring channel over to one of wall mounted lamps - which always has 12v power. Once roof hole was cut out the rest was MUCH easier and MUCH less stressful. New fan works great - makes one wonder why they never included these as even optional equipment - because a nice fan over the bed is what many need to keep cooler on hot evenings.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #14
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Maaaan. This is exactly what I want to do. I have a fantastic fan leftover from a previous rv. I have contacted winni. They have sent the plans. Still a scary thought to start cutting. I’d like to be able to have 12v power there but .... surface mount?

As for why they didn’t put a fan there in the first place? Sounds like something winni should hear. Because it gets hot back there with just two windows and one being small. Btw I’m a 2008 29r
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiHenri View Post
Yes - Roof diagrams are available, but you have to call Winnebago Tech help to tell them exactly what you need so they can email PDF drawings to you. You will want at least 3 - roof wiring, roof ducting, and rood structural (so you know where the cross beams are. (3 different diagrams)

I did the exact thing you are asking about to our 2005 Adventurer. Really wanted a proper ceiling vent fan over the bed, but before cutting a 14 x 14" hole in the roof needed to make sure I was not going to hit roof bracing or cut through wiring or across roof venting. Winnebago sent the diagrams I needed and was able to accomplish this after careful measuring.

Installed a MaxxAir ceiling vent fan, needing a 14 x 14" cutout. Connected wiring by running a surface mount wiring channel over to one of wall mounted lamps - which always has 12v power. Once roof hole was cut out the rest was MUCH easier and MUCH less stressful. New fan works great - makes one wonder why they never included these as even optional equipment - because a nice fan over the bed is what many need to keep cooler on hot evenings.
HappiHenri - thanks for the info ... this is exactly what I want to do. Would you be willing to share the location were you placed your vent? I can compare your measurements to what I came up with on the drawings for an additional sanity check before cutting in. ;-)
Old 07-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #16
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I was going to mention a safer way to make your cut. Find the joist first. Cut towards where you think the roof “joist” is. Once you have found it turn around and cut your width. This would give you a little more support on one side and make sure that you don’t need to cut through it to get your width.

Any thought on getting power there? Has winni ever provided power for a 12v fan?
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

In addition to the Walabot I mentioned in post #7, if you have a metal detector, or possibly even a stud finder, you can probably find the joists. If you're really good, a tap test might work. In colder temperatures you can see the joist lines in the morning due to the difference in condensation.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Update ... after reviewing the roof documents I got from Winnebago, this past weekend I made the leap and gut a hole for the vent. I ended up choosing to locate where the light was so that I could use the 12v power for the fan that is in the vent. Everything ended up working out great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_115150.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	175105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_115950.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	175106  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200919_153556.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	175107  
Old 09-23-2020, 12:47 AM   #19
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

That looks good

You said you used the light power for the fan. what are you using for a light now?
Old 09-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

That's a fair question ... There are three other lights in the room so we are going to try without the ceiling light for a little while. If we find that we really miss having the light I'll tie it into the same wiring as the fan and have to put a switch on the light itself. Not optimal but it would be way to complicated to get another 12volt run to that location without the wires being outside of the roof/ceiling. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tags
roof, vent