Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2023, 06:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 Vista 31R Chassis Battery

The starter battery in my Winnie was unable to start the engine. I was able to boost start it from the coach battery. My question is where is the dashboard voltage meter to determine if my battery is taking a charge? I found an Icon on the dashboard display in red showing a battery along with +/-. When I turn key on that and various other icons appear. When I finally get the engine started (using the booster) the battery icon goes away. Does this indicate that my alternator is charging my battery? If there is a problem with charging does this icon remain on/come on while driving?
Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Following as I have the same question.
W7RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is an area which is often confusing to new users as the RV is a coach built on top of what is called a "stripped chassis". That chassis is bought from chassis builders and the coach added, so there are many questions which involve the chassis and we need to look to the info that the chassis builders provide.

Do you have the big folder of info that should have the chassis manual in it?
It will be where you need to look for the controls for the things we would find on the normal truck or car.

I don't have that RV, but would normally expect a car or truck to no longer have a guage but what we started calling "idiot lights" when they switched from gauges to just a light! Sounds like you have an "idiot light". That name is from the idea that we are no longer able to read a guage!

Light on, problem! Light off, okay! We sure can't get very much help from that system, can we?
Sorry, do not mean to imply you are at fault, just they stopped giving us any help beyond a light! BAH!

Yes, I think you have the basic idea of the light as it should come on with all the rest of the dash lights for a short time. Theory is that gives you time to see they work. No burned out bulbs? You've got to be quicker than most of us, if you can tell they all come on! But when the engine starts and it goes out, that should be saying the chassis charging from the alternator is working.

As a heads up to note, there is a setup that often catches the newer users! When we store the RV, we may be very concerned that we will let the batteries run down, so we turn off any battery disconnect switches we can find! OR we may plug the RV in as a way to keep everything charged on both coach and chassis!

Many times that leads us right into trouble as the disconnect DOES NOT disconnect ALL the things that run the battery down over longer term storage! They are so safety concerned that things like CO and propane detectors are left on from the coach batteries. They don't dare let us come back to a room full of propane without an alarm!

Then on the chassis side, the steps are left connected as they would not dare let us walk out of the RV withour the steps flying out!

See where this goes? You turn "everything off" and come back with the chassis battery dead! When we leave it plugged in, only the coach battery gets charged from the converter------unless we make some other provisions for getting a charge to the chassis battery as well!

Again, sorry but you may have just found part of what they don't tell us in school!
The manuals may hint at some of this but it may not be written very clearly, if at all!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, battery