Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2024, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 itasca sunstar 35f slide out controllers

Driver, left, slide out will not extend. Motor up front will run momentarily, no sound from the rear one. Located one slide control module . Right exterior compartment just aft of the rear axle. Question, is there a control module for each slide? If so, where is the 2nd one located? Checked all fuses and breakers. Slide has not been extended for many months. Appreciate any helpful direction. Thank you. Safe travels
Chief141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Not sure if you have solved your problem yet.

If not, you may want to check to make sure your parking brake is applied.

There is an interlock between the switch controller and the parking brake and if not applied, the slide controller will not operate.

Discovered this the hard way this morning when trying to open the back slide. After checking everything else, I applied the parking brake and it was immediately operable.

Dave
kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidz_driver View Post
Not sure if you have solved your problem yet.

If not, you may want to check to make sure your parking brake is applied.
There is an interlock between the switch controller and the parking brake and if not applied, the slide controller will not operate.

Discovered this the hard way this morning when trying to open the back slide. After checking everything else, I applied the parking brake and it was immediately operable.

Dave
Thanks for the response. Fwd motor runs. Aft does not. Working with a mobil rv tech will replace the aft motor.
Safe travels
Old 02-14-2024, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I had the same issue last year with my 2014 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. Went to the Customer Service facility in Forest City, Iowa and they had to replace all the hardware and put in new motors. Works great now.
fyreplugaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2015 35F. If you haven't found the 2nd controller yet, and yours is like mine, it's because it's hidden. I found it by accident. It's located behind a false rear compartment wall in the pass-through compartment.
I'll attach a pic or two of the location.
Not sure how Winne expected owners to find it.
Good luck!

Note: The pic with the tape measure should be vertical with the tape at the top - or the tape is resting on the shelf. It shows the true distance between the true back wall and the false one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_110726.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	188364   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_101448.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	188365  

Name:	20201028_102602.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	188366  
Old 02-15-2024, 04:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the support

Good morning. I await the return of my mobil rv tech. Aft motor of the living room, left, slide failed. Purchased motors and will replace both. I did in fact find the 'hidden' controller. A call to Winnebago and a diagram forwarded via email, supported my search. Tapping the partitions of the storage bays gave up the false wall. An auto tech of 40yrs there are times the enigeerleave you scratching your head.
Safe travels
Dave
Old 02-15-2024, 08:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief141 View Post
Good morning. I await the return of my mobil rv tech. Aft motor of the living room, left, slide failed. Purchased motors and will replace both. I did in fact find the 'hidden' controller. A call to Winnebago and a diagram forwarded via email, supported my search. Tapping the partitions of the storage bays gave up the false wall. An auto tech of 40yrs there are times the enigeerleave you scratching your head.
Safe travels
Dave
Sounds like you have the head on straight and getting it done!
So maybe I can point out a small clue for you to consider?

Not at all sure how your RV is set up but if they are changing out the motors, it may be a good time to peak at how your wires are set up.

Some motors fail, not because there is anything wrong with the motor like fried, but due to how the wire is installed. I might want to check if the wiring is left loose in the space and hanging down without any support!
Some have several feet of wiring hanging down with nothing to take the strain off the connections at the motors!
If you find the wires are broken and makes the motor stop, check that the new isn't installed the same way.

You can also see some cases where the motor and connections on top get water on them and short out.
To save future early failures, I might try to solve both these design problems
before they button it all back together.

A couple feet of wire hanging off the soldered connections or placed so they get wet?
NOT something you want to rebuild the same way if you have it open to look at!
Hoping you have a better plan but worth looking if you get a chance?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

FYI, you can flip the front and rear motor cables at the connectors on the slideout controller. This does no harm. You can see if the motor that runs momentarially changes sides with the cables flipped. If so it would indicate the motor is not the issue and it is the controller.

If problem does not move, you can put the conttroller into manual override mode by pressing the mode button 6 times quickly, then press and hold a 7th time for aproximately 5 seconds.

You can then use the IN/OUT button and see if both motors run. The Lippert manual says "dealer only" should use the OUT button in manual override mode, I believe this is because once could over-extend if the OUT was used in the override mode without proper care.

Anyone can use this mode to do emergency retract with the IN button. The override mode will clear 60 seconds after the last IN or OUT button press.

The override mode operates the motors without using the motion sensor inputs from something inside each of the motors called the hall effect rotation sensor. These sensors are how the controller knows both motors are rotating and is how the controller knows that the two ends of the slide are moving at the same rate and stops the movement if they are not. Be sure you are watching as in the override mode if only 1 motor runs you can quickly put the slide box out of alignment and into a bind.

I had a motor failure which turned out to be that the magnet epoxied on the end of the motor shaft (under a removable cap) that drives the hall sensor had broken. I replaced the motor and repaired the original motor by re-epoxying the magnet, and carry it as a spare.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:54 AM   #9
Site Team

No need to contact Winnebago for wiring info - all of that info is online.

There are two versions of the wiring for your coach, depending on your Serial number (not your VIN number)

35F (Serial Number begins with 70E75R1)
https://winnebago.com/Files/Files/Wi..._e35f_wire.htm

35F (Serial Number begins with 70E75R2)
https://winnebago.com/Files/Files/Wi..._e35f_wire.htm

In fact there are dozens of owner's resources that you can tap into to find everything about your Sunstar.

Here's the main link:
https://winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

There are 12-options in the Helpful Links menu on that page. You may want to take the time to visit each of them to see what more unfolds in each section.

Here's a screen shot of the Helpful Links menu to give you an idea of what's available.

PS. This applies to all motorized Winnebagos. Towable products do not have this available to them. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 12.53.41 PM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	188374  
Old 04-04-2024, 12:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Good afternoon,
Was the slide deployed or retracted.
What did the motor replacement cost?
Thanx