Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #41
Site Team

Lippert is the company they used for the hydraulic levelers and the slideout, and they used their Schwintec slide (spelling may be different).
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #42
Winnebago Watcher

We bought a Vista 26HE for Christmas. Thus far no complaints. We're still reading books and making lists but correcting handling issues isn't one of them. We'll have the Vista set up to tow our Jeep next month and after that we hope to get the antiaircraft guns and drone launch pad finished. Seems to be a good RV at a good price though I'm convinced we'll still be the victim of whatever resident sage cares to opine about length, weight, MPG, Astro sign, tire pressure, and paint schemes, but I felt better after reading the above posts on short wheelbase dangers and then calling Winnebago and asking "Are you making death traps and selling them to ignorant RV buyers as some sort of euthanasia plan?" They said "no" and I believe em. Trust that gal with my life now. Serious stuff this RV purchasing; no margin for error anywhere.

Read the last couple of post and could not help myself. I too have purchased the 26HE(Itasca) at the special price(69599). Do love the handling compared to what i had and can live with the one slide. We had a 98 brave 26se on a chevy chassis and it was a living nightmare in the wind the Itasca sails thru pretty good i am going to do everything i can to make it as smooth as possible. 5 star tune, centramatic balancer on all tires, sway bars changed. I did my research before i bought and for the price could not pass it up for an entry level class A. We will buy up in 3-4yrs after we both retire and i do like the Reyo.
KylenCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #43
Site Team

[QUOTE="KylenCindy;1472900"]We bought a Vista 26HE for Christmas.

Great to hear you are also enjoying your 26HE! I was pleasantly surprised at the huge cargo carrying capacity and towing capacity. I have also fond a huge improvement in mileage...went from 7.8 to 9.0 mpg just be being light on the gas pedal and keeping it between 50 and 55....not everyone can do that, but it definitely saves gas! Cheers!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

I have this exact model 2013 26he. It does not have a single handling problem. I live in a very windy place and love the way this rig handles the 30+ mph wind we get regularly.

It handles better IMO than my friends jayco embark super c. And way better than my coachmen class c that I traded in to get it.

Love this rv. For the price you can't beat it.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #45
Winnebago Watcher

Update to my previous post...man was I stupid. The 26HE handles fine around town but at 55 and over it is terrible. Our trip to Yosemite was white knuckle, bone jarring, rattling everything, and by the time we got there, i swore I was going to walk home. Two weeks later, we were off to Monterey and once at 55MPH it was like re-entering the atmosphere with the suspension bucking, the cab shaking, and the steering wheel jumping around. The the only thing missing was Scotty screaming "We're breaking apart!" Seriously, it was truly terrifying with almost 6 inches of free play in the steering wheel, contestant corrections to stay in lane, and the slamming from the front end. We've been here three days and my back still hurts from driving this rig. It goes to the local Ford dealer tomorrow to check the front end, steering, and do the CHF if they can. I got the "I'm not sure what we'll charge for that but we'll figure it out tomorrow." I'm guessing that's Ford-ese for "it won't be free."

But there's more! Before we left, i took the dash cowl off to hard wire a GPS. I found two holes (one 1"X3", the other 1/2" by 3") in the dash substructure that went straight though from the cab to the engine compartment which were obvious failures in assembly. They weren't blocked and sealed like other holes, just gaps in the interior though which I could see the road. So why wold I need a vent switch when I have two free holes that let outside air in? Then, on the way to Yosemite, I couldn't get the trip computer to work. Off came the cowl again and amazingly the thing hadn't been connected at the factory. Not just hanging there waiting patiently to be discovered and plugged in but still wrapped up the the chassis harness and buried behind the dash with a twist tie. Fast forward to Monterey where it gets cold at night...no heat and tons of cold air coming out of the ceiling vents. So...I take the kitchen cabinet apart to see what's going on and find the heating hose still coiled up and a hose clamp stuck on top of the wiring harness. Not disconnected...NEVER INSTALLED!!! My furnace was heating up the back of the oven. (I have pictures!) I hooked the heater parts up and disconnected the AC and now we're warm but my affection for Winnebago is over. These aren't "we forgot to put in a screw" mistakes. This was "It ain't mine, why would I care?" stuff. I feel like I gambled my life's savings and lost and like every sucker who gets taken, I wan't my money back.

And yes, I did call Winnebago, who advised me to take the rig to an authorized dealer to have it "gone through." (Apparently I'm part of the new quality assurance testing program!)

Hopefully, Ford will get us safely back on the road and then we're limping home (I apologize in advance to everyone behind me going east. Yes, I am that jackass doing 50 MPH in the right lane.) Then the Vista will either get sold or traded for something safer and, hopefully, completely assembled. You can bet my next MH payment, it probably won't be a Winnebago anything.

P.S. Winnebago, hire a few of the unemployed NASA folks...they know a thing to two about quality control and engineering. Might have kept me as a customer!
LostTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #46
Site Team

My experience has been 180 degrees different from yours. It handles great whether in town or at highway speeds, and we have found very few problems, which were minor, (door needing adjustment, etc.) and quickly fixed under warranty by Winnebago. I can't say enough about their quality and customer service.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #47
Site Team

By the way, we are going to Sanoma Coast State Beach in Norther CA, our 10th trip so far, and really looking forward to it. Most of our trips are a days drive away, but definitely have seen our share of mountains, wind, rain, and sunshine.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

So, after spending the day in Salinas with the Ford Truck Division, they reset the toe in and straightened the steering wheel. Cost to me was $250 because, according to the service manager, alignment and fixing the steering wheel are not covered under the chassis only Ford warranty. At 5:00 PM, no one to call at Winnebago and so I paid and am back at the RV park. I was also informed that the CHF is not possible on this set up because the link arms are too short. Drive home was noticeably better but still not where I'd be comfortable taking this on a longer trip and we are assessing alternatives while admitting we will likely take a beating ether selling or trading.

Another piece of good news came at the pump where I discovered we are getting 4.5 MPG with our recent trip to Yosemite.

Glad to read that others are not having the same experience we're having but I'm still of the opinion that the 26HE is under-designed and poorly finished. If you have another perspective, I'd be glad to sell you this one at a discount.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #49
Site Team

LostTrail, 4.5 is the lowest mileage, by far, I have heard anyone report for the F53. Usually, it is somewhere between 7 and 8, depending on terrain and what they are towing. Have you adjusted for generator usage? If that isn't it, I would be visiting the Ford dealership again.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Lost trail. You might try the "cheap handling fix". Also are you towing? Jeeps are notorious for catching wind and swaying all over. Not the easiest vehicle to tow. It's going to tug on your back end especially when there is cross wind.

Was an odd thing when we bought ours the salesman commented on the fact that 1 out of 10 RVs are PITAs per his experience. Odd thing to tell someone buying a brand new RV, but something to consider.

Also RVs fall under the lemon law. Your experience is not what we are seeing so to me something major is wrong.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #51
Winnebago Watcher

update #2

Drove to Sonora today and handling was much improved. In answer to BrandRV, yes, we are towing a Jeep but the situation described in my first post was evident both with and without the toad. Cheap Handling Fix=CHF. We will be stopping in Roseville to discuss suspension mods. My research on this forum indicates the Koni shocks and some type of axle kits may provide better stability. May also look at a heavier swaybar and links since the CHF is not an option at this point. It will come down to the return on investment versus the loss we can expect at trade. No clue to the mileage issue yet.

Interesting discussion with Winnebago yesterday wherein I was informed that toe in and having a straight steering wheel are dealer responsibilities. Remains to be seen if I'll get my $250 back for repairs that should have been done before I took delivery.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

Lost trail,

From what I've read on the subject this is an issue with many gassers. I've read of people putting as much as 8k into it with air bags, suspension kits, trac bar, etc.. End of the day they are usually happy campers.

Assuming they fix the things that are wrong with your 26he, and assuming they take responsibility and you are not out of pocket any more, you can probably start cheap then work your way up and get it where you want it as far as handling goes.

keep us updated!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #53
Winnebago Camper

I'm new to RVing and to this forum...my question is regarding the "26he, not satellite ready". What does this mean? If I was to buy the tail gater would it work with my RV?
Pops CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Pops yeah it just means there is no satellite system installed. You could use a portable one or get one installed on the roof no problem.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Brandonrv, thanks! I'll look into getting a portable one!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Vista 26 HE experiences to date

I took deliver of my Vista 26HE in February, at the promo sale price. We've put 5,000 miles on to date with no major problems. The minor ones have been corrected by the dealer and Winnebago. Milage has been 8.5-9.0 mpg, driving at 55-60 mph. Even if I increased my speed I would still get blown off the road by trucks so I opt for the fuel economy. I have experienced some minor wind problems but nothing I can't handle safely. As for ride, I flew helicopters for 25 years, the Winnebago is smooth. We like the fact you don't have to put out the slide to use the whole floor plan. It's also small enough to not need a toad. So far, its everything we wanted in our first class A and we love it.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

anyone having any issues with their dash ac? Mine does not seem to blow very cold. Just wondering if that is normal. I took it back to the dealer and they said it's blowing cold, but I have no idea how they tested it. Out of the vents it feels luke cool.

Just wondering if I have an issue or if this is just the way it is.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #58
Winnebago Camper

I've noticed mine at times doesn't seem cold enough...I've turned it off for a few minutes and then it's fine. I figured its just me greeting used to how everything works.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #59
Winnie-Wise

Interesting thread... My wife and I just recently upgraded from a 2007 Itasca Cambria to a 2013 Sunstar 26HE. We chose the Sunstar because we wanted the features of a Class A with the size (length) of a Class C to make it easier to drive.

We are very pleased with this model; however, it is definitely an entry level motorhome. There are some features missing on the Class A from my Class C which I wish I had. The one very noticeable feature is the missing rear ladder. The 26HE will not support a rear ladder. I tried to get the dealer to install one for those times that I need to get on the roof, and they said (per Itasca) that this model was not designed for a ladder and would not support one. Some other features that are missing (that I had on my Class C) are no kitchen water filtration system, no electric heating element for the hot water tank (propane only) and no surround sound (or surround sound like) speakers for the television.

Again, We like our Sunstar, but these missing features (and others) are the reason for the lower price for a Class A.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #60
Site Team

Have you made any modifications since your purchase? We have put in LCD light bulbs, added MCD duo (rather than solo shades), and replaces tire valves with solid dually valves.

Tags
winnebago