Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #121
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 26HE the only issue I had was with the windows which were replaced by Winnebago under warranty other than that Its been a great rig of course i did do a lot of upgrades
Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #122
Site Team

I have a 2013 with no issues to speak of out of warranty. Jacks are a little finicky, but have worked every time. The 2014 model had some nice improvements, such as body color...hope your purchase goes well for you!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #123
Winnebago Watcher

What upgrades did you do? Cost?
lit3hous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #124
Winnebago Watcher

Did you get the jacks fixed, still a problem. What other changes did you make? I'm concerned about the mileage and the size of the fuel tank. I live in the Northeast and will do most of my trips to FL.Has anyone changed the fuel tank to a smaller one?
Thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #125
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit3hous View Post
What upgrades did you do? Cost?

Upgrades so far

TRIK-L-START
ADDED HDMI CABLE FOR SAT RECEIVER
ADDED A POWERMAX BOONDOCKER 4 STAGE CONVERTER /CHARGER
REMOVED DINETTE AND ADDED COUCH
CHF
SAFE-T-PLUS STEERING STABILIZER
KONI SHOCKS FRONT & REAR
OUTSIDE SHOWER
PROGRESSIVE SURGE PROTECTOR
RELOCATED CHAIR BY DOOR OVER 4.5 IN
Ultra track bar
5 STAR TUNE
Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #126
Winnebago Watcher

Rmblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Upgrades so far

TRIK-L-START
ADDED HDMI CABLE FOR SAT RECEIVER
ADDED A POWERMAX BOONDOCKER 4 STAGE CONVERTER /CHARGER
REMOVED DINETTE AND ADDED COUCH
CHF
SAFE-T-PLUS STEERING STABILIZER
KONI SHOCKS FRONT & REAR
OUTSIDE SHOWER
PROGRESSIVE SURGE PROTECTOR
RELOCATED CHAIR BY DOOR OVER 4.5 IN
Ultra track bar
5 STAR TUNE
Do you have any pictures of the shower install and dinette to couch change?
Have you heard of anyone adding a rear ladder to the roof?
Thanks
Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #127
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lit3hous View Post
Do you have any pictures of the shower install and dinette to couch change?
Have you heard of anyone adding a rear ladder to the roof?
Thanks

only have pic of the finished install

Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #128
Site Team

For me, jacks are working ok.

Also, as far as improvements:
- Tee in the LP line for grill
- Tee inside for LP heater
- LED light bulbs
- Larger batteries
- HDMI cable from TV
- TPMS and brass tire valves
- 4 stage converter/charger
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #129
Winnebago Master

Ok, just spent the last hour reading this entire thread, glad I finished it. I have been looking at the 26HE for a couple months and then saw a Fleetwood Flair in a 26' version and loved the floor plan and the look. Sadly I have read some horrendous reviews on the entire Fleetwood brand that have been bad enough to scare me back to Winnebago. Should have said that I own a Winnie 29TR, Access and we love it.

Seems most still like their 26HE. I am curious if anyone had moved to the 26HE from a Class C motor home and can give me a comparison on the handling. My 29TR has given me some white knuckle rides in a stiff wind. I had the Caster adjusted and it improved things a lot but it still gets a good push from passing trucks and even large SUV's. Just wondered how they compare.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #130
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Ok, just spent the last hour reading this entire thread, glad I finished it. I have been looking at the 26HE for a couple months and then saw a Fleetwood Flair in a 26' version and loved the floor plan and the look. Sadly I have read some horrendous reviews on the entire Fleetwood brand that have been bad enough to scare me back to Winnebago. Should have said that I own a Winnie 29TR, Access and we love it.

Seems most still like their 26HE. I am curious if anyone had moved to the 26HE from a Class C motor home and can give me a comparison on the handling. My 29TR has given me some white knuckle rides in a stiff wind. I had the Caster adjusted and it improved things a lot but it still gets a good push from passing trucks and even large SUV's. Just wondered how they compare.

I went from a 2007 Itasca Cambria (26A - Class C) to the Itasca Sunstar 26HE (Class A). The handling is completely different. I found the Class C easier to drive because the engine is in front of you and helps to judge where you are within the lane. I did have a Safe-T Plus installed on it shortly after I purchased it, so that could have helped keep the motorhome within the lane. The Class A is more difficult for me to drive because you are sitting on the engine. I am constantly checking my mirrors to make sure I am within the lane and actually use the edge of one of the dash vents to guide along the yellow line on the road. When this vent is lined up with the yellow line, I know I am properly positioned within the lane. I had suspension airbags installed which made the ride a little more comfortable. I also had a rear tracbar installed which helped take some of the fight out of the steering wheel and helps to keep the Class A within the lane.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:19 AM   #131
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

The 26HE out of the box will be much more difficult to handle than your class C.

Install new shocks (koni), a rear trac bar, and a steering stabilizer, as well as doing the CHF and you'll probably be happy with it.

As far as fleetwood though the generalization you made is dead wrong. They make a great product. However, the Flair will likely have the same handling issues and you'll still want at the very least a rear trac bar and a steering stabilizer. I'm not sure what shocks they use on it. I found that the bilsteins are good shocks, but seem to do better on heavier coaches. The koni shocks I put on my 26HE made a world of difference.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #132
Winnebago Master

Wasn't my generalization. I looked at and loved the finish quality and the floor plan. Thought the coach was appointed very nicely. I did a quick search for reviews and found a site that had really really bad reviews. The reviews were so bad I began to doubt the validity of the posts.

This is the site 82 FLEETWOOD RV complaints and reviews @ Pissed Consumer

The name of the site says it all and maybe should have given me insight to the purpose of it's existence.

I have looked for reviews on iRV2 and haven't found much ether good or bad. I will look some more.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #133
Winnebago Master

Here's a question regarding handling. One of the early posts commented on the length ratio, or wheelbase divided by total coach length and that it should be at .55 or higher.

Based on this calculation for the 26HE the ratio would be .486. I ran this calculation for my 29TR (Class C) and the ratio is .43, or in other words worse. If I am ok with the handling of my Class C and the 26HE has a better ratio would I still be worried about the handling?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #134
Winnebago Camper

We have progressed from Roadtreks to a Navion to our 26HE. The 26HE handling is the worse of these......but.......we enjoy the 26HE better than any of the rest. We put on a fair amount of mileage in a year - put 20k miles on the 26HE in the last year. I've gotten used to it as guess since I rarely note the bad handling anymore. I quickly learned to focus on my driving and have learned the habits of the 26.

Neal '13 Itasca 26HE, '15 Wrangler toad
Buttercup987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #135
Winnebago Master

When we first started traveling in our 29' Class C we encountered a lot of wind and that made for a white knuckle ride in the mountains of WV. Trucks and even large SUV's will push the coach three or four feet to the right when they pass.

I had the camber adjusted in the alignment (suggested in an iRV2 thread) and it improved it a lot in terms of stability but I still get a pretty good push from the trucks.

I know there are things that can be done to improve the handling and would be willing to do those things. Just trying to decide if I am moving in the wrong direction moving to the Class A.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #136
Winnie-Wise

Keeping my above post in mind, I don't regret going from my Class C to my Class A. I like the floor plan and using the front seats as part of the living area. The Class A seems so much larger inside; however, it is pretty much the same size as my Class C. I like the height of the Class A motorhome and how it is more difficult for people passing by to look in through the windows.

Having said that, I think Winnebago should offer a suspension/handling package option (such as a steering stabilizer, rear tracbar, airbags, etc) which would include a lot of the modifications normally done once an owner purchases the motorhome. To me, it would be worth paying the extra $3,000 to $5,000 to get the motorhome this way when purchased.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #137
Winnebago Master

Good to know you are happy with the change. I still need to see a 26he up close. I really liked the Flair and am trying g to get some reciewst on it.

Other than the handling have you had a y other issues with your 26he?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #138
Winnebago Owner

the 26 he is the best motor home ever.....

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 AM   #139
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Wasn't my generalization. I looked at and loved the finish quality and the floor plan. Thought the coach was appointed very nicely. I did a quick search for reviews and found a site that had really really bad reviews. The reviews were so bad I began to doubt the validity of the posts.

This is the site 82 FLEETWOOD RV complaints and reviews @ Pissed Consumer

The name of the site says it all and maybe should have given me insight to the purpose of it's existence.

I have looked for reviews on iRV2 and haven't found much ether good or bad. I will look some more.

Unfortunately it's the way it is. It's true for Winnie also. Mine had several issues brand new including the fact that the cab AC didn't blow cold air. Which was a massive pain because it's technically a Ford issue, but some basic QA would have caught it.

My fleetwood has had a handful of issues too including the slide motor control box stopped working. Which really sucked.

You pretty much have to expect to have them, but once you iron the bugs you'll be good to go for a long time to come. Both companies build quality, and use good quality devices on the inside

As far as major issues, those will be the loudest on the internet. You can dig around and find out about winnebago roofs blowing off while driving!!

If the flair is to your liking go for it. Give it a real run through testing every thing in your walk through.

Then use it immediately and near the dealer. Some dealers let you camp out at their location for this reason. Give you a chance to give it a real test and work out the kinks early and fast.

In all likely hood everything will work fine. You'll find 1 little thing on your first trip. Then on the 2nd and 3rd you'll have a couple more small issues. Closet door hinge needs to be re aligned or something simple.

Once you have a half dozen little things you'll take it and and they'll fix them and you'll RV happily ever after
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #140
Winnebago Master

Did your Fleetwood have the PowerGear slide system? I looked at the slide system and the rack part of the system looked like it was plastic. Not sure if that is good or bad.

I have searched all over and haven't been able to find any comments one way or the other with the slide system. I do see that Lippert had bought PowerGear. Isn't Lippert the owner of Schwintech as well?

Tags
winnebago