Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2023, 06:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2012 Winnebago Adventurer Windshield Leak

Windshield leak Seems to be coming from up under the top gasket sealing. What can I use to seal it.

thanks
base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:28 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

Usually the leak will look like the windshield but it usually is the clearance lights above. I've had that problem on several winnebago motorhomes. Also where the front cap, roof, radius edge meet is prone to leaks that make it look like a windshield leak.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome Base, Ranger Smith is 100% correct. Especially about the cap and roof radius seams. Water gets in there, travels into the front cap and exits near the windshield.

You need to pay extra attention to all the roof sealants. Go to YouTube and search for AZ EXPERT. He is a repair tech in Phoenix and has dozens of Winnebago roof repair videos. His information is vital for anyone with a Winnebago motorhome, especially one showing leaks. You may not realize it, but without maintenance your roof can actually blow off when driving.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes on the clearance lights leaking. A 1/4" bead of bathroom type Silicone on mine solved a persistent dash leak.

As for the caulking on the roof seams...I balked at having to climb up there every 6 months to inspect and reseal as recommended by Winnebago for my Filon roof so I applied 4" wide Eternabond tape to all the seams, front cap, rear cap, and along both sides of the RV.

Here's my ad free blog articles about it: Roof and Roof items...

Before:

And after:

After years of using Ebond tape instead of caulking, and not having to maintain it, I'm a big fan. I should buy stock in their company.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Clearance light lens can leak water into them, then road dust eventually seals the lower side of the lens preventing drainage. If you seal the base of the light, it cannot be a drain point. Then water collects until it reaches the wiring hole in the RV, then water runs down the wiring into the RV.
My solution was to drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom of each clearance lens.and only seal the top and sides of each light.
I've never had a clearance light leak again.

OTOH, Winnebago MH's are known to leak around the windshield, (use google search box above to find more info) this rusts the steel windshield frame, which promotes further leaking and expensive damage. The solution for that is removing the top and side mouldings, clean and reapply windshield sealant.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the leaking windshield club. I have a 2012 Journey 36M. It leaked from day one from the factory. Replaced the windshield and still had issues. It turned out to be the seal between the roof cap and windshield frame. Final solution was black Gorilla tape bridging the rubber trip and the fiberglass cap. Unless you look close, you don't see it. Its been in place 5 years now.

I had previously re-sealed the cap to frame with polyurethane sealant etc.

Tags
adventurer, leak, vent, winnebago