Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2007 37j roof replacement

hello. i am trying to sorce out the fiberglass roofing material. for a complete roof replacement on my class A
any help? thank you
sberryrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

check you winnebago manuals, roof care and who supplied original is in there.

ewetube might have a vid on replacing it as well, surely for rubber roof maybe for fiberglass.
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Filon is the brand name of the fiberglass roof. It may be placed as a sheet on the roof and then the edge radius's just heated with heat guns so it can be pushed down into the side gutters without cracking. It's paper thin almost.

Amazon carries it in 8.5' X 35' rolls for $1,000.

Why do you need an entire new roof? Got pictures? I'd be interested in the story of how this came to pass.

I'm kind of remembering reading about a Winnie roof that ripped off in heavy winds and insurance covered it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We are a camper restoration business #sberryrvcamper o have done over 1200 roof repairs, this is our first full fiberglass roof replacement. I have no intrest in doing that weak filon overlay. Its dumb and a complete hack. We are looking for the orig. Roofing material which is thicker and better then filon
the roof was damaged by a tree in the back and center
Old 11-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryrv View Post
have no intrest in doing that weak filon overlay. Its dumb and a complete hack. We are looking for the orig. Roofing material which is thicker and better then filon
I’ve been told that Filon is the original OEM roof material. What makes you think it’s not?

See the YouTube channel AZ EXPERT he shows a number of Winnebago roof replacements.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You might contact Crane Composites that I believe supplies Winnebago with their fiberglass sheets. They can probably tell you the exact spec of what they sell to Winnebago.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I have been in contact. Seems to be the only outlet.
Thanks again
Old 11-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Angry

So..... you come here looking for help, then get directions and an answer from Winnie supplier but don't share your findings? Seems a bit, well, uhhh, uncivilized.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryrv View Post
We are a camper restoration business #sberryrvcamper o have done over 1200 roof repairs, this is our first full fiberglass roof replacement. I have no intrest in doing that weak filon overlay. Its dumb and a complete hack. We are looking for the orig. Roofing material which is thicker and better then filon
the roof was damaged by a tree in the back and center
I'm confused why you would criticizing someone's suggestion after you ask for them. I'd also would expect you'd know where to go, what to use, etc. Seeing you had done over 1200 roof repairs and you're in the business, you'd be well versed on what to use. Its obvious you know of Filon though I've heard its a very good roofing material and know someone who used it and is very satisfied after years on his roof.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #10
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I was going to suggest ...

I was going to suggest looking into putting a gel coat over the existing fiberglass but your are the expert so ......
Old 11-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My insurance, Progressive, said tough luck when my roof blew off when a combination wind storm and being passed by a high speed big semi truck ripped nearly all my roof off my 2000 Itasca. Manufacture defect they said. Temporary repairs got me back to where I have family and constant attention has kept water out but I’m going to have to replace soon. Definitely following this thread.
Idiotasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’ve been told that Filon is the original OEM roof material. What makes you think it’s not?

See the YouTube channel AZ EXPERT he shows a number of Winnebago roof replacements.

Does anyone know if Filon comes in different thicknesses?
dacap06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

What's the extent and nature of your damage? Can you post photos?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #14
US1
Winnebago Camper

While the Filon is indeed thin,, unlike the roof endcaps, the roof decking provides the structual backing of the Filon. Only weak spots are along the side corner radius's, which are supported somewhat by styrofoam. A tree falling against those radius's will most likely bust the Filon.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

If the stress skin roof panel has been compromised by a major tree hit you can order a new roof panel complete with all the machining of air ducts and wiring from Winnebago and it will be a like new repair with full structural integrity of the stress skin panel. Winnebago does also provide a complete service with the new roof completely installed at the factory.

If its a localized hit its just a Filon Panel and can be repaired using standard boat shop methods for repairing Gel Coated Fiberglass. Stagger any repair joints if you have to replace any of the structural foam and plywood stress skin behind the repaired area. The Winnebago Tech Support Line will usually be very good about sending out measured digital drawings to support your repair effort and advise you on the best way to proceed with the repair.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

if small area that is collapsed or needs replacing, you could use that foam expansion spray stuff and file/sand it smooth before adding the new fiberglass patch/roofing.
GL!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof