Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2023, 08:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Journey 36G Overheating on Slight Grades

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G Class A motorhome. With a CAT Engine freight liner and 360 Alison Transmission. Lately it has been overheating while going to what really doesn't seem like very big grades. If I think about it the gauge on the dash usually stays somewhere between the 1/4 line and "normal" ever since I've owned it (6 months). Lately, I've been traveling more and my last trip I went through some grades in Montana but nothing spectacular and it within a 100 mile trip went into the "HOT" zone twice (cooled down fairly quickly - all I did was slow down my speed - or it would cool down on the down grades) and when it wasn't there it was hovering close to "normal" which I've been told that is not a good place it should be lower.

Anyways, my boyfriend and I have been doing some reading and for sure decided I need to at least "clean the radiator". We have disassembled the bed and looked up inside and there is definite signs of dirt/oil/grease on the fan blades and around the inside of the shroud. We have sprayed water through the outside back side of the radiator that is exposed as much as we can and it was for sure dirty. I reached up inside from the bedroom compartment and finagled the hose as much as I could through the fan blades and sprayed that side of the radiator as well.

We plan to get some degreaser/cleaner and redo the process. However, during our research we keep coming across what people are saying that there is a CAC AND the radiator sandwiched together. How in the world are we supposed to know if my motorhome has those?? We truly can only see what looks like a radiator period (that is of course leaving it intact and not removing the radiator which is of course not in the perfect place).

Would water when sprayed from the back side be visibly seen coming out the other side "IF" there was also a CAC sandwiched inside the casing?

There are also (what appears to be two fans side but side) on the rear back panel drivers side. Are these fans for the transmission coolant or my dash AC??

Any suggestions or helpful ideas greatly appreciated.
ajmcdonald99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You may find this thread helpful: Diesel, rear radiator owners, check this out

Yes, you have a rear radiator and CAC 'sandwich' with the CAC on the inside (engine) side. The fans in the left rearmost compartment are indeed for your chassis/dash AC condensor.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

So, because I’m a little dense and need specific information. Not what you said but in my case only. So, the water we sprayed from the back side (engine side) out can flow through both the cac and the radiator? Most of the videos we watched showed the cac being smaller and “I” just don’t see anything that indicates two different things. Anyways I certainly appreciate your help and advice.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You may find this (rather long) thread useful as well: C7 Radiator/CAC Removal And Deep Maintenance

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had that same motorhome and engine combination with the same issue. I cut a small access hatch on top of the radiator shroud which gave ne access to the radiator (fan side) then soaked it with Simple Green and flushed several times. I made a cover out of a piece of sheet metal and screwed it over the hole.

This problem develops because the crankcase ventilation tube (some refer to it as a "slobber tube") vents ahead of the radiator and the fan blows the oily vapor and coats the radiator. After you have cleaned the radiator it would be useful to extend the tube with a piece of hose to the back of the rear cap. It was fairly easy to remedy.

Ron
Old 08-31-2023, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwing View Post
I had that same motorhome and engine combination with the same issue. I cut a small access hatch on top of the radiator shroud which gave ne access to the radiator (fan side) then soaked it with Simple Green and flushed several times. I made a cover out of a piece of sheet metal and screwed it over the hole.

This problem develops because the crankcase ventilation tube (some refer to it as a "slobber tube") vents ahead of the radiator and the fan blows the oily vapor and coats the radiator. After you have cleaned the radiator it would be useful to extend the tube with a piece of hose to the back of the rear cap. It was fairly easy to remedy.

Ron
Only use Simple Green EXTREME! Standard Simple Green is not safe for use on aluminum radiator fins. Read the label closely.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for your help. I want to acknowledge everyone. Cleaned some of the radiator the fan blades and shroud. I have an appointment at a shop for them to hopefully clean everything up even more. And make sure I don’t have any other issues. I’ll try and remember and post later updates.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

following
Old 09-07-2023, 06:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

After a complete removal and cleaning in 2013, this is what it looked like in 2018.
Every year when I bring it in to Freightliner, I ask them to steam clean the radiator. Suspect now that they only clean from the rear and never from the engine side.
We drive about 10k miles a year, so this is after 50-60k miles. Each complete removal and cleaning has set me back about $2000.
After the last removal, I added an extension on the slobber tube and now, 5 years later, engine temp is still holding good.
I am using Silverleaf engine monitor and running a steady 188, climbing to maybe 192 on long hills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aircooler FromBruce.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	187180Click image for larger version

Name:	RadiatorFromBruce.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	187181
Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We cleaned the radiator from the outside AND we wiggled the flexible hose inside and I was knee deep in grease and grime but I managed to get the hose down near the bottom and sprayed as much as I could going out the back. My boyfriend was outside and said the water was coming through the back side. Then later we took a van of degreaser and sprayed as best we could ALL over the fan blades and inside the shroud and rinsed and rinsed. Then after the holiday we drove it up to a diesel truck repair shop and had them steam clean it (but of course we have to trust that they did it from both sides) I mean we did a lot of the work. We took our bed and boards out had the engine covers all undone. I think they went inside the floor was dirty. Anyways, he said he got more rocks and dirt. We towed the jeep there and back to our campground about 30 miles away and we had a few pretty good grades (big enough I think if she was still going to overheat she would have like before). So, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we can finish our trip and get back home and next year before we go out we plan on actually taking it all apart and give it a cleaning ourselves and hopefully find that slobber tube and move it as well.

Thanks for all who have replied
Old 10-20-2023, 07:06 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I did the same cutout in the radiator shroud that Snowwing did. Really gives you access to the rad/cac for cleaning. Also, you might want to check your water pump v-belt for the proper tension. You can reach under there and find the v-belt pulley and grab it with your hand and if you can rotate it, it is too loose and slipping and not driving the water pump as it should. Happened to me and a FL foreman steered me onto that and it was my problem with overheating.

Tags
light, journey, heating, heat