Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2023, 02:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Journey 36G Awning Stopped Working

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G. All of a sudden my awning won't deploy. It had power earlier. I have tried locating the "fuse box" and in the manual it shows where it should be but I think the manual is generic not specific to my motorhome (as I have looked in the area and there is no fuse box). I really don't even know if this is why it doesn't work but would like to see before I call or have a repair done.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions to first, where is there a possible fuse box for the awning? I know where the circuit breaker is under the bead, and a fuse box under my refrigerator (however, none of them indicate they are for the awning).

Thanks
ajmcdonald99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #2
CO Sunova Owner

Bad motor

I replaced my awning motor today. It all of a sudden stopped working but I could hear a click from the motor when I tried moving it. You can check to see if it’s getting power at the disconnect which is a few inches from the motor. Put a voltmeter there to see if you’re getting 12 volts when the button is pushed.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Looks like the fuse is on a bigger 12v fuse panel behind a plate in a basement compartment. It has a Warning sticker on the plate and it just unscrews to give you access to that fuse panel and to your BIM and disconnect solenoids.

If you have a wind sensor on the roof - I've heard a fault or bad wire can cause the awning to not work. But I don't have a wind sensor so no experience with this.

Here's a link the the PDF file - look at pages 3 and 4:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_148556.pdf

Here's a screen shot of the location on Page 3 and the various fuses on page 4:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 5.58.16 PM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	186080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 5.57.50 PM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	186081  

Old 05-22-2023, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

More info in case you get down to looking at wires and switches?

Winnbago labels small wiring like this:

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	186085

If we find labels on wires or drawings, we can use this chart to "decode that info fro the from and to connection points. That will often let us know if it is a battery supply or ground, etc.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

I think the correct switch for the awning operationis on this drawing, sheet five:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_148960.pdf

The details on that drawing show us the switch from front and also turned around as if from the back. That back side lists the wire ID that should match the labels on the wires.

Click these snips to get a better view or go direct to drawings?

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	186086

Looking at the view from back, it gives us the wires to expect on each pin of the switch. Note FFK, FFU, FFM, etc.? Looking in the ID chart it should tell you what to expect if you get into checking power getting to and through this switch!

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	186087

Getting the switch out of the mount can be one of the bigger problems with them as they use a set of mini "clamps" at the top and bottom which makes it easy to them to slide it in and let the clamps flip out to hold it in. But we may have lots of trouble compressing those clamp gizmos to get the switch out!

Maybe you don't get to that but it may help if you get there?
Best of luck!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

2005 Journey 36G Awning Stopped Working

If you're getting power to the motor, you might check to see if there is something binding when it tries to deploy. The motor should have a limit switch that switches it off in the event the amperage draw goes above a set upper limit, which it would likely do if it is in a bind.

One thing that can cause it to bind is having a screw come out of the cylinder end-cap. That happened on mine recently except the awing was deployed and it wouldn't come all the way in. The end cap was cocked at a about a 45 degree angle and causing it to bind at some point as it was retracing. I lined it back up and replaced the screw and it went back to working as normal.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, journey