Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2023, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1995 Adventurer P30 Chassis cranks but no start

I have a 1995 Adventurer with the 454 TBI engine that cranks but won't start. I have replaced the distributor cap, the rotor button, the electronic module in distributor, and what I THINK is the fuel pump relay. Engine turns over fine, but won't start unless manually putting in fuel or using ether. Only other option I can think of is fuel pump. Anyone experienced this before that may offer some insight prior to me trying to drop the tank and replacing the fuel pump? TIA!
chamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Greetings chamala,
I wonder if the fuel filter is plugged?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-07-2023, 12:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would want to verify fuel flow by taking a line loose at the engine and seeing fuel gets there and much easier that dropping the tank! Maybe the fuel pump but maybe somethinglots easier?

Danger! Watch the fire hazards and make sure the engine ,etc are not hot! Usually not a problem if it won't start!!! But don't let it spray out on your buddies cigar!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have pulled both lines from the TBI and get no fuel flow at all. With a small marine fuel tank with a squeeze bulb, I can drop the end of the line into the TBI and the engine will start and run for as long as I can continue rapid squeezing of the bulb. So, I would have to assume either fuel pump or fuel filter, and since the fuel pump is in the tank, and past experience with intank puel pumps, I would also assume the fuel filter is in there (part of the pump assembly) as well.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Fuel Filter Replacement 1995 Chevy P30 454
Old 09-11-2023, 02:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It is more than likely a bad fuel pump. Changing it isn't the worse job in the world. I have heard that some of the older motor homes had a panel in the floor, probably in the bedroom that would allow pulling the pump through, therefore, not dropping the tank.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It's your money and time, but I'd do the easiest, cheapest things first; like replace the fuel filter- as eagle5 recommended.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a mobile mechanic come out to look at the thing, claims there is no way to drop the tank and get the fuel pump out with the coach sitting where it is...suggested going through the floor in bedroom. I cleared the area under the bed, cut a hole in the floor (No panel) and discovered the fresh water tank sitting above the fuel tank! Back to square one.
Old 09-12-2023, 01:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Water can totally block the fuel filter. The alcohols in fuel attract water and the pick-up is at the bottom of the tank where the water accumulates.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Fuel filter has been replaced, distributor cap, rotor button, coil, computer module in distributor, and what I THINK is the fuel pump relay, have all been replaced. Cut hole in floor under bed to access fuel pup without having to drop the tank and discovered the fresh water holding tank on top of the fuel tank....feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:04 PM   #11
Site Team

I sure was hoping it was a plugged fuel filter. That would have been an easy fix.
With somebody near the fuel tank & when you turn the key to the <Run> position, can you hear the fuel pump running?
Old 09-13-2023, 08:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

You should be able to test the in-tank electric fuel pump by installing an in-line shunt in the 12V+ wire and measuring current draw when key is off compared to when key is on.
Then now-adays they make a 12V clamp-on ammeter if you don't mind spending $50. You don't even need to buy one, AutoZone has a tool loan program that is free, see in-store for details.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-13-2023, 11:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

tried that, heard nothing..disconnected fuel filter and tried again...no fuel floe from the fuel line, so I would guess it is either the fuel pump or it wasn't the fuel pump relay that I replaced...anyone know for sure where the fuel pump relay is located on a 1995 adventurer with the P30 chassis and the 454 TBI?
Old 09-16-2023, 07:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

okay, a little more information...dropped the fuel tank, pulled the fuel pump to replace with a new one, but upon testing, the old pump works...so, it appears the issue is electrical. Only thing I can think of at this point is fuel pump relay....I replaced what I thought was the relay, but very possibly may not have been. But it's the ONLY relay I could find on the entire coach. Mounted next to the fuse panel on a stand alone.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:32 AM   #15
Site Team

Hi chamala,
So often, the last thing we check is the wiring, but you may have a bad wire indeed. The wire may have been over-stretched and broken most strands of copper, it may be cut, or it may have been chewed-through by rodents. I am so sorry you had to pull the fuel tank; how many hours did that take?
You can shove a straight pin through the wire's insulation to check for continuity with a multimeter.
Here is how I protect the Eagle5 from those horrible squirrel things:
Squirrels in the Engine Bay of a 22M
Please let us know what you find.
Eagle5
Old 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

working by myself, dropping it, pulling pump, testing, reinstalling pump and then tank, three days working in grass.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:51 AM   #17
Site Team

It could have been worse
Old 09-16-2023, 10:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

yeah, guess I've showered ten or twelve times in three days!!
Old 09-16-2023, 12:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Don't forget to test the ground side of the pump circuit too.
FWIW, over 80% of all 12VDC issues are the result of a poor/missing ground.

Tags
chassis, vent, adventurer