Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2023, 11:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wiring All 120vac Outlets to Inverter on 2021 View 24V

I have a 2021 View 24V with the 2000w Xantrex PSW Inverter and the stock batteries in the inside step compartment.

I am planning to to have an upgrade done to 400ah lithium batteries and additional solar panels, for use when boondocking. Why Winnebago limits the number of inverter-connected 120vac outlets is beyond me. So I want to get all interior outlets to work off the inverter. I don't intend to power the air conditioner, and I understand how one must monitor the watts being used at any one time.

I'd appreciate help understanding how this can be done (by an Rv technician in my case). I don't want to run extension cords from the existing powered outlets, I want all outlets to work off the inverter as if on shore power or generator.

This was how my previous 2019 Roadtrek worked, I want the View to work the same way so I can live "normally" off grid. If this can't be done, no point in paying for a large upgrade to power only the tv and refrigerator.

Thanks,

Rick
SWRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well that sounds like a pickle that should be easy to solve!
There seems to be two different layouts for electrical on your RV. Do you know if you have 1MP or 02P, as it may or may not make a difference?

As to why they would limit the output of an inverter? You have a pretty small inverter and that limits you to 200 watt at any given time, so if they let you use a hair dryer and toaster at the same time, you are likely to not be happy.
Damned if they do, damned if they don't so they might as well go simple to avoid complaints when they feel it applies.
Can you tell us which outlets do not work on the inverter currently? That would let us look at how to get them switched.
Do you hace some which don't work on shore power or inverter power?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Any electrician, especially an RV Tech can add circuits to the inverter powered outlets. They limit the number to keep folks from going overboard putting too many high wattage/amp draws on the circuits.

It's really just a few simple changes to your AC panel in the RV. At least that's what it looks like to me.

If you don't have the microwave outlet on your inverter that would be the main one I would think you'd want.

My Adventurer has a Magnum 2000w inverter because it has an OEM Residential Fridge. About 1/2 of the outlets are on the inverter and it's always a surprise when we find one that's not. For instance, the two plugs on either side of the televator TV are not on the inverter. Seems like for lamps they surely could be. But then, one of those is where my wife likes to plug in the bread maker (yes, a small one) when on shore power. If it was on the inverter I don't know what that would do to things.

I have 400aH of LFP batteries, but are you sure you can fit 400aH in a View??? Where would you put those?
Old 03-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
You have a pretty small inverter and that limits you to 200 watt at any given time,
Hey Richard, FYI the OP has a 2000w inverter not 200w. Easy mistake.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hey Richard, FYI the OP has a 2000w inverter not 200w. Easy mistake.
Another typo !

Point to ask is what and where they feel outlets are not on the inverter as it may just be a simple outlet not working.
Or possible confusion about the power sharing as the cooktop and microwave are on the inverter but power sharing??
Maybe the GFCI has kicked to kill a bunch of outlets?

Sometimes getting down to what the real problem is can be part of the solution.

Click this snip to get a better view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter out copy.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	185312

If the wiring is OEM and not been modded in some way, the drawings show the air as being the only thing NOT on the inverter as built???
Old 03-03-2023, 01:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for helpful suggestions. Turns out the bathroom gfci was the problem, replaced it and now power galore!
SWRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 02:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good deal! The easy fix is sometimes the best we can get!

I always liked to keep a stash of papers and one is the diagram of how the power flows, just so I didn't have to scratch so hard to find things in the middle of a trip.

Enjoy the RV!
Old 03-04-2023, 08:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It seems like a large percentage of AC outlet problems are GFCI related. There should be a sticky.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
There should be a sticky.
The least viewed threads are the Stickies. Which is why we don't usually add many new ones.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2020 Navion 24D and I'm almost certain that all outlets are wired directly to the inverter. At least I haven't found any that weren't. The only exception would be for the induction cooktop and the microwave. There is a device in the circuit that only allows one at a time to be used.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Glad you solved the problem because it saved me testing all the outlets in my 2020 24V to find the ones that weren't on the inverter. We have used the inverter with our lithium batteries and our 450W of solar a number of times with the microwave and even the induction cooktop. Usually works great. Never had a problem except when my wife forgot the cooktop was on when she started the microwave. Or the time she started the microwave while the toaster and coffee pot were both on. But she is a fast learner!

Off subject, but have you reinforced your sewer dump valve? On the 24V, they are held onto the MH only by a hose clamp connected to the black tank. There is no vertical pipe support at all. Mine fell completely off when I pulled the handle, covering me and the concrete dump pad with you-know-what. Fortunately, I was in my swimsuit and river sandals because I had just been kayaking. And, also fortunately, it was a very well-designed dump, so most of the contents drained right into the open pipe. So, I hosed me down first, then the concrete pad. Then I tied the dump assembly up with a rope off my kayak so it wouldn't drag on the pavement while i drove home.

I bought an expandable 4-5" hose clamp and a roll of perforated steel pipe strap. I put the clamp in the 1/2" groove in the ABS valve assembly specifically designed for that purpose. Then I threaded pipe strap beneath the clamp and over a frame member several times and fastened it with 3 SS screws, lock washers, and flat washers. That was 18 months and 12,000 miles ago and no problems since. But I have seen photos of the 2023 24V on the Lichtsinn website and Winnebago is still not using any kind of vertical support on that dump assembly. Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRick View Post
I have a 2021 View 24V with the 2000w Xantrex PSW Inverter and the stock batteries in the inside step compartment.

I am planning to to have an upgrade done to 400ah lithium batteries and additional solar panels, for use when boondocking. Why Winnebago limits the number of inverter-connected 120vac outlets is beyond me. So I want to get all interior outlets to work off the inverter. I don't intend to power the air conditioner, and I understand how one must monitor the watts being used at any one time.

I'd appreciate help understanding how this can be done (by an Rv technician in my case). I don't want to run extension cords from the existing powered outlets, I want all outlets to work off the inverter as if on shore power or generator.

This was how my previous 2019 Roadtrek worked, I want the View to work the same way so I can live "normally" off grid. If this can't be done, no point in paying for a large upgrade to power only the tv and refrigerator.

Thanks,

Rick
Hi Rick,

It sounds like your problem is solved, but just FYI we installed our inverter (a Magnum MS2000) so that it feeds everything. The power goes from the shore power cord > Progressive Industries EMS > MS2000 > 30 amp main breaker.

So the 30A main either gets power (shore or generator) that passes through the transfer switch in the MS2000; or power generated by the MS2000 using the batteries. All outlets are always hot and everything is always able to run (assuming the batteries are not fully discharged).

Needless to say, that setup requires being aware of the total load when using inverter power, but worst case it will just shut down momentarily if the continuous load is above 2,000 watts. It can handle 2,800W for 5 minutes, and 3,300W for 5 seconds -- so it can easily handle any single heavy load in the View.

I can understand why WGO does not wire their inverters that way ("whole house") but we really like knowing that we can run anything in the coach if we want/need to. Maybe not for hours on end since we only have 2 LiFePO4 batteries (about 210Ah) but long enough.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Thanks,

Rick
All of the outlets on your view are power by the inverter. Go to the Winnebago owners page and look at the line voltage wiring diagram. Only thing that is not on the inverter is the AC unit, however switching the breaker location in the panel can solve that.
MattPraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Thanks,

Rick
Here is link for wiring https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000171176.pdf
MattPraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring, inverter, view