Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2023, 06:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Transmission Control Modules

I also have issues with rebuilt/reman electrical components. Can’t find ratings for customer satisfaction of results. Can anyone recommend a competent facility to repair my Transmission Computer Module?
Old 11-12-2023, 07:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No help on repair but I might also throw in some experience that may or may not be any help ?
TCM is one that I have no idea where it is even found but I did get a close up look at how difficult it can be to get things done on the newer cars.

We had a 2105 Ford Focus that suddenly developed an intermit fail to crank problem. Lights, horn etc. all worked good to say the battery was okay but it might take 15-20 times turning the key before it would crank and start.
This car had been run into a ditch and mailbox before I bought it, so I did the weird thing of buying extended warranty! Never before and never again but it worked to have it then!
We take it to Ford nearby, they say the battery is bad but after a bit of discussion they agree that if everything works the battery much be good. Seems they never did a voltage check but the computer told them to change the battery!
My problem was the battery was a part that was not covered and they were way high on them , too!
But we went out to check and it started! We found it was just random or when the car was cool that it might fail one in 20 times.
It was our tow car and not needed much of the time so we kept taking it back every time it failed and they would change the TCM!
If it wasn't the battery, it must be the TCM??
So we had it to three different local dealers and they all ran out of ideas except changing the battery. Somewhere along the line we agreed that they would change the battery but me not pay for it until they proved it worked.
Somewhere along the line over 6-8 months they also broke a tooth off the TCM which went down through the transmission. That cost them a tow from about 20 miles and transmission of what they said was $7000!
Eventually we got down to saying it was "something" about the tow wiring , but it continues after all that was disconnected!
They then fell back to it being "something " that the tow wiring had done when installed! They couldn't say what but it was not anything they could change, just "something" !
So we sold the car to the dealer! Shortly after that we passed the car in the grocery parking lot being loaded on a tow truck from the dealer!
Somewhere out there is a customer whose car starts fine--- but only if it feels like it that day!

Point being that I would not give a nickel for the odds of the "computer" getting the right idea of what's wrong!
Have you enquired about what makes the TCM bad or how that is sorted out?
TCM for Ford was "transmission control module".
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 10:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm guessing you have an Allison? I would talk to Brazos - UltraRV, they have back engineered the transmissions and at least can point you in the right direction.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/
Old 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that interesting story! I don't know much about TCM failure, but Allison seems to only want to repair ones that blow some drivetrain related fuses, not a general failure. Someone had pointed out businesses that repair all forms of modules. Wanted to know who was better at it.
Old 11-12-2023, 10:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you! That's good to know. I'll call them on monday