Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2023, 01:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tailight Issue 2017 Minnie Winnie 31H

2017 E450 based MW 31H. noticed today I have no rear, right side (pass) tailights for brake, hazard, turn. running lights work. drivers side normal. checked wires, look fine and why wouldn't they since they light up when running lights are on. Cannot put hands on owners manual, but online resources say 2 fuse boxes, neither one has a fuse for right side hazard, turn and brake.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Taillight issue

How did you check wires?With a meter,test light or by eye? Only way to be sure wiring is good is to use test equipment. Also change bulb don't just look at it and assume it's ok
Our ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Step one is to get a good idea of what is and is not working and a first big step is to know which RV you have as what you tell us is not listed by Winnebago!
Step one? Which RV?
This will take you to the list of wiring diagrams:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

I am assuming you mean you have 2017 Minni Winnie 31H?
They list none, so we are dead in the water for getting the right info!

Click image for larger version

Name:	31H.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	186169

If unsure of what you have, there should be a label near the driver's side to tell you a lot of that important stuff you will need to sort out what you have and possibly the build date to get to the correct wiring.
Once on the right group, you will likely need to find the "exterior lamps" section.

Down about sheet two, there is likely to be a drawing for the taillights, turn signals and brake lights. That will give you circuit ID for each. Using that ID, you can go to this list to decode the ID from the drawings or as it is stamped on each wire.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	186170

This is an example of what you are likely to find but not sure it will be the correct info for your RV!

Name:	back lights.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	186171

With a meter, you can check the bulbs for continuity by testing the resistance from one pin to another or by switching bulbs. But you need to check the bulb holders as they tend to get corroded if they are leaking.

With your limited experience on working on the lights, this will be a bit of learning experience and take some time and dedication to get it right.
If some of the taillihghts are working on one side but not the other, it is not likely to be a fuse problem as both sides are on the same circuit when I have checked.
The tail lights as well as front lights should all light when the switch is on, so check what is working or not before trying to change fuses, etc.
Both right and left side brake lights should come on at the same times, as well as the connection in the trailer plug. Side clearance lights are wired the same.
On the correct drawing it will have a trace showing how the wiring is routed across the back and where it may go along the side or underneath.

I might first verify that the power is getting to the bulbholders and the bulbs are good. Check for leaking which happens often on RV that are not kept sealed well. If you find rust or water in the lights, it may require changing out the bulbholders or fixture.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Brake lights

Elvis. There should be a fuse up inside the engine compartment that is enclosed in a black box with pop off lid. I believe it is yellow fuse.
In your E450 manual it is listed as effecting brake and turn signal. As I recall there were several relays around it in a small bank of fuses. Check your manual thoroughly for fuses inside engine compartment.
Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

FWIW, over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the responses. As I played around with the RV light bulb, it flashed briefly. I pulled the bulb and nothing looked amiss except perhaps a bit of rust. Attempted to sand off the rust, also pull out the contacts in case there was an issue with connection. To no avail. Could not find the individual socket on line, so I sucked it up and upgraded to LED fixtures. Took less than 2 hours start to finish. Worst part, calling my wife or sons to push the brake pedal while I ensured that the wiring was solid. Got a good deal at (holds breath) AMAZON on 2 rear light LED fixtures for about $80. Thanks everyone!
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light