Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wondering if I can add another (larger) panel to the factory installed one?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Wondering if I can add another (larger) panel to the factory installed one?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
iRV2 Sponsor

Craig,

Not sure what the specifics on your coach are but if it's like my 06 Adventurer 35A, the small panel is only a maintainer for the engine battery. If you want to charge coach batteries you will need to look at panels designed to do just that. We install 6 and 8 amp panels with a digital controller and they work great.
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can certainly add another one. As Craig said you'll also have to install a controller to go with it. The original controller is part of the One Place monitoring system and is only large enough to handle the 10 watt panel that came with the coach.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wondering if I can add another (larger) panel to the factory installed one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you increase/add solar power, make sure that the existing wire can handle the added load. You may have to change the wire to heavier gauge
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You can most likely get by with adding a 50 watt panel. Since panels aren't 100% efficient, the panel is probably only going to put out 3 or maybe 3.5 amps during full sun and when it is at a 90 degree angle to the panel. I think my 10 watt solar panel has a 10 amp circuit breaker, so that tells me the wire is sized for at least 10 amps (if not, that is bad engineering.)

Welcome to the forum

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We added more (400 Watts) to our Journey 32T. Ask me for more details if interested

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

By the way Craig, Welcome to the forum! You'll be glad you came.

2004 Meridian 34H
Fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Did you added it to the existing small original panel wiring ?

Thanks, Pete
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
We added more (400 Watts) to our Journey 32T. Ask me for more details if interested

Jim

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-14-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Pete, I ran a new wire for the new panels. I left the original system in tact. I did use the same roof hole to run the new wire. I don't think that there is anytype of controller for the 10 watt panel. You would want a voltage controller if you were to add more panels. We purchased our panels from Amsolar there is alot of good info on their site.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I had the 100W panel transfered to my new 2007 Outlook 29B, the dealer wired it directly to the battery. Think it should work well.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redlands Truck and RV:
Craig,

Not sure what the specifics on your coach are but if it's like my 06 Adventurer 35A, the small panel is only a maintainer for the engine battery. If you want to charge coach batteries you will need to look at panels designed to do just that. We install 6 and 8 amp panels with a digital controller and they work great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keith, are you sure the solar panels are for the chassis (engine) battery - it was my understanding they were for the coach batteries. I have had two sets (1 original and 1 new) set of chassis batts go dead this fall, and am installing a Trik-L-Start to feed the chassis batts from the coach batts while plugged into shore power. That's based on info I have received on the forum. If the solar panels are to keep the engine batts topped off, then maybe that's been my problem - I am just south of you in Temecula, so sunshine isn't a problem. The solar panel light is lit, but of course that's just an idiot light, so I suppose I could have a solar charging problem if the panels really do trickle charge the chassis batts. Everything has been off in the coach since the new batteries were installed so parasitic drain shouldn't have been a factor if the solar panel does, indeed, run to the chassis.

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
iRV2 Sponsor

Phil,

If its a small panel, 12" x 24" ish then it is indeed just an engine battery maintainer capable of only 1-3 amps avg. Sales teams love to tell you that it has "Solar" Take a look at your purchase invoice, does it show you had a coach battery "Solar Charger" installed? Some higher end coaches do come with these systems but you will see a $1000+ add on your invoice. Dead giveaway would be a seperate controller that will manage the amps coming in from the array, usually with led lamps, digital readout, a way to adjust the charge rate etc.

Most engine batteries die when the coach is parked in storage with the step in "stored" position. The brain to the step is on and this will bring down the engine battery sometimes as fast as 2 weeks. Repeat this over and over just like when it was on the dealers lot (Lot Rot) and you have engine battery nightmare.

Please feel free to call me or come by and I will climb the ladder with you. Shop 888.249.0124

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I'm quite certain that on our Vectras, at any rate, the factory solar panel only charges the house batteries, not the chassis ones.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:37 AM   #15
iRV2 Sponsor

Chris,

Thanks for shaking my tree... I called my Winnebago rep and he said you are correct, Winnebago does not connect the roof top panel to the engine battery. He did inform me however, that panel is nothing more than a "maintainer" designed to keep a good battery good during storage.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:20 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Solebury Tom:
I had the 100W panel transfered to my new 2007 Outlook 29B, the dealer wired it directly to the battery. Think it should work well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be concerned about this. Some 100 watt panels can put out 17 volts or more unregulated.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 01-19-2007, 02:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

the factory installed panel will not even maintain the batteries in prolonged storage. I do not know why they don't use a lager panel or at least offer it as an option. We found our previous coch would have dead bateries after about 2 weeks from the parasitic and the use of the refridge on LP.

This coach did not come with a panel at all!