Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2024, 07:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Solar generators ,Travato 59G

Has anyone successfully connected or integrated a solar generator into the solar system on a Travato 59 G. My wife and I have a 2021 Travato 59 G with the original AGM batteries. I will be removing the batteries to perform a capacity check to determine their condition. The batteries will not power the Refrigerator and heater blower over night. I’m thinking, if a solar generator and if needed an additional solar panel could be connected in parallel with the system I would have the capacity to power all items over night and also have the unit for other uses when not traveling with the Travato. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Jack
Jacknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi JacknJ,
There’s nothing unique about using a solar generator with a Travato. Presuming here that by solar generator, you really mean portable power station. It’s important to distinguish between ac and dc output capabilities of a powerstation.

There’s no reason to interfere at all with your house batteries or your charging system, with one exception. I’ll get to that. If you plug your shore power cable into a portable power station, your system will think you’ve plugged into a pedestal at a full hookup campsite. Your converter will begin drawing amperage from the powerstation at the maximum output rate of the powerstation until its battery is depleted. All the output from the powerstation in this setup will be ac.

Here’s the catch about your converter/charger. If it’s not Bluetooth capable which enables you to lower or stop charging, some of the power coming from the powerstation will be used to charge the house battery. The rest of the power will go to service ac loads, or the converter will convert some it to service dc loads. When you connect the powerstation in this manner, you’re only giving the rv ac power. If your powerstation has a 30 amp rv outlet, this is process is very simple. If it doesn’t, you can use a 30 to 15 amp dogbone. In this case the maximum that will be output from the powerstation is 15 amps. If you don’t want part of the power from the powerstation to be used for battery charging, just disconnect the battery charger circuit at the breaker panel, or disconnect the battery terminals.

If you want to send dc power from the powerstation directly to the dc bus without going through the converter/charger, you can do it, but you’ll be limited to the maximum dc output of your powerstation. Most mid-priced powerstations have a maximum dc output of 15 amps through the dc (cigarette lighter) output port. Some of the better, more expensive powerstations have dedicated higher amperage dc output ports like Anderson, or xt60. To run dc directly to your dc bus simply get the appropriate harness to fit the output port of maximum amperage on the powerstation and put ring terminals or alligator clips on the other end. Connect this to your dc bus. Once again, it’s best to disconnect the battery terminals, or most of the dc from the powerstation will go into the house battery and will attempt to balance it. Not good. For a permanent setup of dc from powerstation direct to bus, install a 3-way disconnect, where battery and powerstation can both be connected to the switch, but only one of them is connected to a closed circuit, while the other circuit is open. This is called an A/B battery setup.

We have used a mid-sized powerstation (2Kwh) successfully to boondock for long periods. The powerstation supplement the system through the ac shore power circuit when the house battery gets low. The next day, the house battery gets charged with solar. When the house battery is full the solar can be diverted to charge the powerstation. In our mind, it’s not worth the complexity or cost of going direct to dc, and our max powerstation dc output is only 15 amps. Some power is lost in conversion from ac to dc, but it’s not significant enough to warrant an alternate approach.

If done properly, and if you get a big enough powerstation and a good solar array, you’ll never have to use the generator except for air conditioning.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

An additional point, power stations with 30A RV plug installed must have at least 3600 watt internal inverter to supply 30 amps to the receptacle..

Many power station DC to AC inverters only supply 2000 watts which is only 16-17 amps at the installed 30 amp receptacle.. Which is fine but may not run air conditioner or other heavy electrical load.

Check the specs of power station you are considering to know it's limitations..
don't be fooled by pictures that shows a 30 amp receptacle without confirming the unit can output that current rate..

I bought a unit that is rated at 3.6 Kwh output to assure having 30 amps at RV receptacle. Combined with 600 watt 42 volt portable solar panel the entire system supplies almost unlimited power to rig..

I'm sure much smaller unit like 2000 watt inverter or even somewhat less would suffice for your needs..
Old 01-23-2024, 11:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decuct CoCo View Post
Many power station DC to AC inverters only supply 2000 watts which is only 16-17 amps at the installed 30 amp receptacle.. Which is fine but may not run air conditioner or other heavy electrical load.

Check the specs of power station you are considering to know it's limitations..
don't be fooled by pictures that shows a 30 amp receptacle without confirming the unit can output that current rate..

I'm sure much smaller unit like 2000 watt inverter or even somewhat less would suffice for your needs..
Yeah, slays me why some powerstations have 30 amp RV outlets but an inverter that can’t output 30 amps. But I guess their marketing people believe that the RV port makes it easier to sell the unit because it’s easier to hook up to shore power cable. Also, many gas or propane generators have 30 amp RV outlets but can’t produce 30 amps @ 120v (3,600w).

Actually, a powerstation with a 2,400 watt inverter will run your A/C even if you are outputting through a 15 amp port. 15 amps @ 120v = 1,800 watts, which is more than enough to run a roof A/C up to 1,500 btu if it is equipped with a soft start device. We have used our mid-size powerstation to run the A/C on hot/humid nights, or for a quick daytime cooldown occasionally. The A/C will also run off our 2,000w inverter driven by our 2Kwh LFP.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Jim and Rod, I will read you comments several times to fully understand. I have been looking at units similar to the Jackery1000,Yett 3000X,and the 4 patriots 2000X. I was not thinking along the lines of powering the AC system. My main goal is to use one of these units to power the DC system to keep the refrigerator and heater blower running over night and certain times when generators are not allowed. During the day the on board solar system is able to keep up. It sounds like the three way switch may be the solution. I can connect the solar Generator to the three way to use independently. I would be interested in knowing if I could connect the house batteries and the solar generator in parallel if both were topped off prior to connecting . The Travato has a port for additional solar panels , I can connect the Solar Generator and let the on board system manage the charging for all. Thank you for all your input ,very much appreciated. Jack
Old 01-23-2024, 12:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like connecting to the ac shore plug may be the cleanest way to go for what I want to accomplish. Thank You
Old 01-23-2024, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Connecting using ac is easiest and cheapest way to go. Just plug in the shore power and you’re done. [but as I advised, best to shut down your charger]. Really bad idea to try to connect powerstation in parallel with a house battery. The two batteries will have very different characteristics , one would feed the other, and you likely would void your powerstation warranty. But like I said, you could install an A/B switch if you wanted to go dc direct to bus. If you haven’t bought a powerstation yet, I would advise you get at least 2Kwh LiFePo4 battery in it, and a high amperage dc output port. I like my powerstation because it weighs only 50lbs. But it doesn’t doesn’t have a high amperage dc output port. So, connecting to the rv dc bus not an option for me.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Here’s the thing, a “Solar Generator” isn’t just one thing, it’s 3-things…but you only need one thing, more battery storage.

Why pay for batteries, inverter and solar/AC chargers? All you want is more battery power and it would be much less expensive and much more efficient to simply replace your AGM batteries with LFP batteries and add extra LFP batteries at the same time. Problem solved.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

That works if your sole reason for getting a powerstation is for your RV. If you’ve got other uses for it, a powerstation makes sense. I’ve sold my RV with a good LFP setup, but I still have my powerstation for all the work at home I bought it for.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:52 PM   #10
Dream Big, Work Smart !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decuct CoCo View Post

I bought a unit that is rated at 3.6 Kwh output to assure having 30 amps at RV receptacle. Combined with 600 watt 42 volt portable solar panel the entire system supplies almost unlimited power to rig..

Good to see people using 600W Panels, they are so Cheap at the moment.
I have yet to Replace the two 20year old 68W Panels on my beast, as I have built my first Mobile Trailer Mounted DART-3 Solar Power Station sitting next to my beast, this has 3x 500W Mono Panels, 5kW LUX inverter & 10kWh of Energy Storage, and have a 4.2kW Silenced Generator if Needed.

When Powering anything off Energy Storage when Un-plugged from Shore Power, the Critical Equipment is the Inverter, as there is No use trying to Operate say a 2.5kW Air-conditioner with an under size Inverter, you will require Shore Power, defeating being truly Off-Grid.

Although you guys in America, 120V appears to be the Standard AC Voltage.
So, 3'600W (3.6kW) Inverter should supply 30A as standard 3600 ÷ 120V = 30A Single Phase Power, I think I am correct ?!
As in Australia 3'600 ÷ 240 = 15A is standard Single Phase Power.

Once you have a Large inverter, you Only need to Invest in enough Energy Storage so that you won't need Shore Power or an Generator.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:33 PM   #11
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknj View Post
Has anyone successfully connected or integrated a solar generator into the solar system on a Travato 59 G. My wife and I have a 2021 Travato 59 G with the original AGM batteries. I will be removing the batteries to perform a capacity check to determine their condition. The batteries will not power the Refrigerator and heater blower over night. I’m thinking, if a solar generator and if needed an additional solar panel could be connected in parallel with the system I would have the capacity to power all items over night and also have the unit for other uses when not traveling with the Travato. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Jack
I would suggest ditching the house lead-acid batteries and install as much lithium capacity as you can afford and turn your coach into a solar generator!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobn1957 View Post
I would suggest ditching the house lead-acid batteries and install as much lithium capacity as you can afford and turn your coach into a solar generator!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:48 PM   #13
Dream Big, Work Smart !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Great Signature !
So, I assume that intercalates the imbecile Trump should go to Goal & Never be allowed to become President ever again ?
Old 01-30-2024, 04:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Marine359, thanks for the caveat - " If it’s not Bluetooth capable which enables you to lower or stop charging, some of the power coming from the powerstation will be used to charge the house battery"

I just hadn't thought about that.

Tags
generator, solar