Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
2018 Vista 32YE

Relocate TV on 2018 Vista 32YE..?

Like the whole layout of my newly acquired Vista 32 YE EXCEPT the location of the living room TV.
Is it possible to have another TV located (replacing) the cabinet above the kitchen to the right side (as seen seated on sofa) of the main entrance?
If possible who would I get to professionally wire that area?
Located in Springfield Oregon.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Robert P
Sooeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Interesting idea which might not be extremely hard to do the move but possibly near impossible to find the right person to do it!

Let's do some talk about what I see and then you will need to take it from there on several points?
First there are lots of drawings and info online to let us look at where things are, so that is a big help but still leaves some holes and some guessing that may need to be checked.
first stop may be that there are two builds of that year make and model. So there is likely a label next to the driver that should have the RV serial number on it for more exact drawing choice. In the serial number, not VIN number, is the 7th digit a 1 or a 2?
Early year if 1, later if 2 and that will improve the odds of getting the correct info!
This set of drawings for starter!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

But we can go with some guesses on that to get the idea started!
You have this in mind?
Click this snip to get a better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv move.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	188531
Disconnecting from red X and going to somewhere near the green?

What we don't get is the differences in various RV with different options like rear or outside TV or how the coax gets from one spot to the other.
We get basics ideas of what connects to what on this set of drawings:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Can you look at these and sort out which parts, TVs, etc. you most likely have? Or do you know what is in the cabinet near where you want to go with the TV? Do you have several TV/audio items in a cabinet on that wall, possibly just above or below where you want the TV?

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000131235.pdf
Do you have a splitter in cabinet just above where you want the TV? As shown in the top left of this drawing?

That might help a ton as it may make it a matter of disconnecting the existing coax to the living room, leave the one going to rear, etc. and only adding a new down out of this cabinet to the new location???

See if that makes sense before I get too long to make sense of discussing who to do it!

The problem is it needs somebody with basic ideas, lots of willingness to do it right, and grit to figure the problem as they find it! NOT a hard problem but one that takes the right mindset and that is where I worry!
Too many are trained to throw it in and get on to the next job! You can really devalue the RV with really quick work!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Got something like this nearby?

Name:	tv move 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	188532

Spot a splitter in the cabinet? Does it have the coax ID'D with tape like this drawing shows? Red, Green, Blue?

Maybe a chance of dropping down or going into cabinet sides and floor to hide wires rather than exposed like red?
I have found the cabinets are sometimes a thin "sandwich" that a guy with the right mindset can tease off one side panel to use the space inside for wires?
that's where I have wound up doing it myself because I did not trust the folks I talked to about it!

I admit it! I did not want to pay the boatload they wanted for the job and wind up with a job I regretted!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tv move 3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	188533  
Old 03-12-2024, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here in Indiana we have a lot of RV interior design and modification companies near Elkhart. Hopefully you have such a company in OR.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here in Central Texas, I have found nobody who is what I would term "dependable" to let loose on this job. One of the problems seems to be excessive growth that leads to a shortage of really skilled labor to do the manual stuff like this. Most craft jobs seem to be more inclined to just rush through and get to the next job and not worry about complaints.
In this case, if it as I'm thinking on locations of the parts, this might not be too far out of reach for a DIY that wants it to look nice when done.
One of the neat things about many RV is that the walls and floors of cabinets are not solid wood but made up of really thin inner and outer layers with a thin strip of solid wood between the layers. to form a frame.
If the OP finds the splitter in the cabinet above or alongside where they want the TV, it may be quite possible to run the new coax in a way that is not likely to be seen. But it may take some care to get it done, just simply because those walls ARE so thin and fragile if we go too fast!

IF the correct spot and IF the TV is only going under or alongside the cabinet where the splitter is found, ( big IF) then the new coax might be hidden in that sandwich of wall or floor!

Big IF until we hear if what they have matches what I see on drawings!
Getting into the center of the sandwich is not a hard thing but it takes a bit of slow tender prying to tease the staples out.
That slow, tender work by a person who cares is where I'm afraid to hire it done!
Old 03-12-2024, 10:53 PM   #6
Site Team

In Oregon, not 20 miles from you, the places to look for would be around Junction City, OR. Because Country Coach RVs were manufactured there for many years when the factory closed a large number of suppliers and former employees set up shop around there.

The largest is Premier RV Services. They bought many of the CC facilities from Winnebago after the failed move to Oregon for Winnebago Class A diesel production.

https://www.premierrvservices.com/

And down the street from them is Kustom Coach Works. This job is perfect for them.

https://kustomcoachworksrv.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Here in Central Texas, I have found nobody who is what I would term "dependable" to let loose on this job.
Here in San Antonio Iron Horse RV is certainly capable of doing work like that. I’d say that’s right up their alley, in fact.

https://www.ironhorserv.com/

And my go to repair shop, Texas RV Supply showed me a big cabinet remodel they had just finished on an Adventurer like mine and it looked factory perfect. Though I wouldn’t normally think of them for that kind of work.

RV remodeling is big business now and you’d be surprised how many good shops are out there.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:23 AM   #7
2018 Vista 32YE

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
In Oregon, not 20 miles from you, the places to look for would be around Junction City, OR. Because Country Coach RVs were manufactured there for many years when the factory closed a large number of suppliers and former employees set up shop around there.

The largest is Premier RV Services. They bought many of the CC facilities from Winnebago after the failed move to Oregon for Winnebago Class A diesel production.

https://www.premierrvservices.com/

And down the street from them is Kustom Coach Works. This job is perfect for them.

https://kustomcoachworksrv.com/

Here in San Antonio Iron Horse RV is certainly capable of doing work like that. I’d say that’s right up their alley, in fact.

https://www.ironhorserv.com/

And my go to repair shop, Texas RV Supply showed me a big cabinet remodel they had just finished on an Adventurer like mine and it looked factory perfect. Though I wouldn’t normally think of them for that kind of work.

RV remodeling is big business now and you’d be surprised how many good shops are out there.
Thank you so much for the quick response and helpful information! We excited to be taking ownership of our 2018 Vista 32YE Friday!
Old 03-13-2024, 07:06 AM   #8
2018 Vista 32YE

Great information from all of you for me to put eyes on. When I've have answers to your questions I will be back on to pick you brains again.
One thing that might be to my advantage is that I will be leaving the lvrm tv as-is and just adding a tv in the location by the exit door. Also the exterior tv is located right below the interior area I wish to run cables to.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

With that added, it may just get down to finding a splitter and adding another leg to the path. Think of a splitter as we would a tee in plumbing? I was thinking you were doing away with one leg, so just abandoning that coax but if adding another, it is not a big difference other than you need to find an existing coax or splitter, where you can unscrew a connection and add whatever it takes to have one more leg coming out.
I think you will find some form of "tee" in the cabinet above where you can tie into it.

If you find a set of coax, looking at it may leave you wondering which coax goes where and this drawing may help as there is colored tape placed at the coax ends to help ID them.
This drawing may help to sort the colors for the place to add the new connection on the output of the splitter or connection you find:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000177027.pdf
Old 03-13-2024, 10:39 AM   #10
2018 Vista 32YE

Thank you Morich! This seems doable even for me.
My newly created library of information is growing daily!
Sooeey
Old 03-13-2024, 10:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I don't do coax enough to keep up on parts without checking but having a bit more time now, I did a check and found what may be a handy item for you. I was not really sure they made them in three way but possible this would be handy if you currently have a two way splitter?
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-13-2024, 01:59 PM   #12
Site Team

Be aware that Coax TV is lower definition. However, if all you use is Antenna OTA TV It will work great. Using a splitter there could be some signal degradation with Cable TV and it likely won't work at all for Satellite signals from a Dish feeding multiple receivers.

If you use SAT then you must route coax TV signals out of a SAT receiver first to be able to split it.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Done any looking at what you have and where, yet?

I probably made it sound too simple if you do have different equipment that has some form of HDMI before heading to the TVs.
Coax is the round cord that has center conductor and then a metal mesh around that as the second conductor. It is what gets the signal from most of the entry points like the sat. dish, Cable, or antenna and all through the RV in many cases. It is the old standby for many uses and works well for the less complex setups.

But then if we look at what we have, we may find we have a different setup than any of the online plans. There are way too many different types of equipment and ways that people may want it to work, to even begin to draw out all the options.
It gets down to looking at what we have, asking if it does what we want and then deciding what changes or different equipment we need or want.
Audio/video is often not well supported on drawings as there are as many different ideas as there are people!
If you've looked at what you have and found it workable, then keeping the same is the easy way to go. If you have coax splitters from all the inputs to the TV, then I would suggest sticking with simple!

But if you look at what you have and find you have a different type connection from some major point to each of the existing TV, that is the way I would go to the next TV!

If you have round (coax?) cable where you want to split, stick with it. But if you have HDMI which is a different shape with preformed ends that are wider, and flatter with lots more connections built into the ends, it may be worthwhile to move to HDMI splitters, rather than the cheap and easy coax?
Other than the signal functions, which most of us do not have equipment to check, working with the coax is somewhat simple to run stock coax and add the ends as needed. It takes a small amount of tools or we can buy ready made in specific lengths.
But if we move to splitters along the line at HDMI points, we move into higher priced splitters as well as much more difficult work to get the ends where we want them!

With the main equipment point just above where it looks like you want the TV, you may have several choices on where to connect into the line but that depends on what you want to end up doing!
Coax is the most common old line type connection for cable, sat., etc. and easier to deal with on install. But if you want to go into HDMI, the setup is much the same with this form of splitter at a slightly higher price and somewhat harder to get big plugs run through holes than the smaller coax and adding the end after the wire is run.
https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-JIUH...RoC5MYQAvD_BwE

Finding a flat end at the TV, go with HDMI, but if it is the simple coax, stick with simple!
If coax has worked for getting from the entry to the TV in back, it is probably fine for getting from the upper cabinet to just below!

But that is where the decisions get over into personal choice and what you have versus what you want!

But If y
Old 03-19-2024, 06:13 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

In the cabinet above the entry door are the connections to the HDMI splitter network, the coax from the outside, the antenna coax, and a 120vac power outlet. Remove the metal accessory cover plates for access. In the bedroom there is an access panel on the wall shared with the shower, closing the sliding bedroom door allows access. Inside that wall is the network of powered HDMI splitters and coax splitters with every cable clearly labeled. Should be a very easy project since everything is readily accessible. Hardest part will likely be hanging the new TV.
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:17 AM   #15
Winnebago Vita 24P

May I also add use RG-6 cable, will be better for signal.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

If you find it takes running HDMI and coax from two different locations, this may quickly spin out of the "comfort zone"!
Dropping a coax down from a cabinet to a TV is one thing, while doing that AND betting HDMI from way in the back may be a totally different animal!

Approach with care a and open mind as the devil is in the details!
Old 03-19-2024, 09:34 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
If you find it takes running HDMI and coax from two different locations, this may quickly spin out of the "comfort zone"!
Dropping a coax down from a cabinet to a TV is one thing, while doing that AND betting HDMI from way in the back may be a totally different animal!

Approach with care a and open mind as the devil is in the details!

Everything he needs is inside the media cabinet above the entry door, antenna connection, outside cable connection, and a power receptacle. Shouldn't have to run any cabling or coax anywhere other than the short piece from the TV to inside that cabinet. I was impressed with the thought that went into the factory installation when I installed a BlueRay player. The HDMI network is in place for adding source devices into that cabinet to feed all the TV's in the coach. Since the new TV will be right next to that cabinet shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

That was my first thought as well but then when I thought about how many things different owners may have changed, I got less confident that it was a simple job!
too many options to really get an idea of what he has until looking!

If his RV has the correct options to have a media connection, it's simple but if not having those options, it may be more difficult that they want to tangle!
Old 03-23-2024, 06:17 PM   #19
2018 Vista 32YE

Well the wife has decided the tv is fine where it is fir the time being but I'm still follow up the extra tv in the winter months.
We just picked up the 2018 32 YE last Monday so we're busy packing and going thru the manual and hours of shadowing all the helpful insights here on the forum.
I can see the hdmi connection deep inside the side of the tv but can't figure out how to access the back of the tv to attach hdmi for mirror casting?
Got to be simple but afraid of pulling and breaking it.
Appreciate any help.
Sooeey
Old 03-24-2024, 06:19 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeey View Post
Well the wife has decided the tv is fine where it is fir the time being but I'm still follow up the extra tv in the winter months.
We just picked up the 2018 32 YE last Monday so we're busy packing and going thru the manual and hours of shadowing all the helpful insights here on the forum.
I can see the hdmi connection deep inside the side of the tv but can't figure out how to access the back of the tv to attach hdmi for mirror casting?
Got to be simple but afraid of pulling and breaking it.
Appreciate any help.
Sooeey

Inside the cabinet above the entry door are HDMI connections that feed a powered splitter network that connects to every TV in the coach. Removing the cover plates will access them.

Otherwise there are screws on top of the wood shelf above the main TV. Removing those screws will allow you to take off the shelf and lift the TV off the mount.

Tags
cat