Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2024, 04:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Accessing the Camera Monitor 2014 Journey 36M

After reviewing many of the posts regarding the backup camera monitor operating intermittently, with the fix being turning off/on the either the coach or monitor to restart the monitor, I have decided to replace the monitor and switcher. Attached is a picture of the dash with the monitor circled.
I began to research the best way to access the monitor. I could not find any specific posts regarding the 2014 Journey but did review the Winnebago 3D parts book.

The Dash Front Panel next to the windshield was removed along with all the screws from the Top Panel Dash Assembly. Attached is a picture of the dash with the Dash Panel Assembly removed. I had hoped that the Top Panel Dash Assembly, shown in Red in the Dash picture from the parts book, would simply slip out of the clips that connect it to the Dash Panel Right, shown in blue in the Front Interior picture from the parts book. The Top Panel Dash Assembly seems to be mounted firmly to the Dash Panel Right. I tried to persuade the Top Dash Panel Assembly with a hammer and a block of wood to no avail.

I then tried to remove the Instrument Panel, shown in brown on the Dash Picture. I removed all the accessible screws and hoped the Instrument Panel would slip out of the clips that appear to hold it to both the Top Panel Dash Assembly and the Dash Panel Right. The Instrument Panel seems to be mounted firmly in place. Attached is a picture of the entire dash including the Top Panel Dash Assembly, Instrument Panel, and Dash Panel Right.

Having failed at both options, I removed the trim panel above the gauges and steering wheel to try to see any other options. The opening is too small to do much except look inside.

I then removed the cover panel to the left of the console drawer to try to see any other options available. There is only enough room between the driver’s seat and the console to get your head in to see behind the dash and maybe get one arm into the area. If I removed the driver’s seat there might be enough room to access the monitor, but I would hope there is an easier solution.

Attached below are the links for both the Dash and the Front Interior in the 3D parts book.
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2014/183234w.htm
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2014/183992wrevp.htm

Any insights as to how to remove the dash components to access the monitor are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Because you have sized your photos to be small thumbnail size, we are unable to click on them to get a larger view and see more detail about the task at hand.

You can upload large images and the forum software will reduce their size for display in your post, but then we can click on the image and see a full size image in a popup window. We can click twice and get a brand new window with the original image size.

With the small images it's tough to see what you're working with.

Can you repost your photos in full size (within reason)? Currently you've sized your photos at 320x240px. If they were 5 or 6 times larger it would be a help.

The only thing I can add with the info provided is on my Adventurer you can pop out the HVAC vent to the left of the monitor and reach in to access a nut that can loosen the surround mounting the entire stack.

I'm not sure I'm seeing that in your tiny photos.

Also, where is your Xite Core Unit mounted? On my coach the video combiner is behind the Core Unit. And, while I've never removed my monitor the impression I have is that the monitor is simply that and removing it just removes a screen and doesn't provide access to the electronics.

I have to clarify however, that my rear view camera displays on the 10" Xite monitor and not a separate screen above as yours does.

Sorry I can be of more help.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Here's an example of the photo issue.

Below is one of your photos enlarged to 2000 px wide. You can see that it displays fine and is clickable to see more detail. Of course, my enlargement of nearly 10x makes the photo too blurry, but if you have the original photos that are already large size you can get an idea of how this will work with the original photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Right.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	188551  
Old 03-15-2024, 01:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Larger Pictures of 2014 Journey Dash

Attached are larger pictures of my original post. Hope they help.

There is an HVAC vent to the immediate left of the camera monitor. I will try to remove it a see if I can access the mounting screws for the surround.

The Xite core unit is mounted directly under the wooden cup holder/tray below the HVAC controls.

Thanks for the feedback.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camera Monitor.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	188552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash with Front Panel Removed.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	188553  

Name:	Full Dash.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	188554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash in Parts Book.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	188555  

Name:	Right Dash in Parts Book.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	188556  
Old 03-15-2024, 01:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Thanks for the large photos, that helps.

First thing I would try is to pull the Core Unit out. If it's like mine it's held in with a screw in each corner.

Be advised... there are 114,600 wires and cables behind the core unit. But if you pull slowly and carefully it should be able to be fully pulled out. Take photos of everything.

I've removed mine 3-times and never ruined anything yet. But it is a head scratcher at times. Mostly because of the huge mass of wires there are a good number that seem to not be connected to anything. Which makes you think you've messed things up.

The Video combiner is a small metal box loose in the void behind the core unit with 3 video wires (usually with yellow surrounds) one for each side camera and the third for the rear. Then there is an output and a ground on there too.

I my case the output went to the back of the core unit, on yours I'm not sure. It might go to the core unit or it might go up to the smaller monitor.

Here's the thing, I added a small monitor like yours to my dash top. And, to feed it I just grabbed a video output off the back of the Core Unit. So, maybe, just maybe that's how yours works, too. Who knows?

About removing the Air Vent. They just pull out easy as can be. When done, just push it back in.

As to the screw you can reach - if still trying to remove a monitor just reach around the corners of that tan surround panel and see what's there and see if you can unscrew it. Then if the top is lose perhaps you can reach other screws holding it in place.

There is no way to judge if yours is like mine - but be aware that the monitors in mine have just one wire set leading to the core unit. And there were no other connections behind the monitors. So, in my case removing the monitors would accomplish nothing. Who knows if yours is that way, just best not to assume that the way to proceed is to remove the dash to get behind the monitors.

It's a time to go slow and see what you have in there.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the insights.
I will try your suggestions to get to the video switcher first.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

No help on the big question but I might ask about how far you have gone on the interactive parts drawings!!
Have you learned the trick of pointing to an item to keep it centered while scrolling or dragging to turn the the view or zoom?

Some of the drawings are really well detailed and may give clues to small points you don't expect.
To keep one point centered, click down in the lower left corner for "set center" before zooming! That will let you keep an item you then click on the drawing as center as you turn, zoom, etc.

There can be times when the name of an item can hint at the purpose. Likely NOT helpful on this one but this is an example of some possible help on getting the pod loose?

Name:	pod.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	188561

Click on item in drawing and it highlights in yellow as well as brings it up on list. The name "retainer pod" might seem to say it is what holds the pod?

Meanwhile on thinking/hoping for simple? No chance you just have a bezel around the unit that is simply snapped on over the edge to conceal screws?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I’d bookmarked an intriguing post made a few years ago on IRV2 by skitime. It’s a detailed description of the upgrade he did to his head unit and camera system. Some of the links to products may be old and invalid but there’s enough information and pics to be able to cross reference to viable products. It may be of some use to you when you get things torn apart.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/12-8...it-488934.html

Tags
journey, camera