Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2021, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Portable Generator but no power

I have a 3000 watt stand alone generator that I want to use when dry camping to keep the batteries charged. The monitor panel sees the voltage but there is no current flow. Is the surge suppressor not allowing it for whatever reason?
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Bob, I have a 3000 watt stand alone generator that I want to use when dry camping to keep the batteries charged. The monitor panel sees the voltage but there is no current flow. Is the surge suppressor not allowing it for whatever reason?
Matt L, I see that you are a new member so welcome to the forums. Here are a couple of tips for you.
1) Its a good idea to search the forums first to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Many problems we see with our campers are common to many people so there is a good possibility there is already an answer.
2) When you do post a new question, create a new thread - do not add it to an existing thread. That way more people will see your question, you will have a better chance of getting a good answer, and you will be able to track it easier. Plus it prevents the original thread from going off on a tangent.
3) Add a signature line to your post that shows the make, model, and year of your camper. It helps people to answer your question.

Keep you questions coming because there is a lot of help available for free on this forum.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Team

I have moved this post and it’s first response into its own thread.

Matt, yes it is possible that your surge suppressor is not passing through the power from your portable generator due to a ground issue. I’m not fully up on this topic but if you search the internet for topics on “bonded grounds” with RVs and generators you should get the answer.

You probably have a construction open frame generator with a floating neutral and your surge protector won’t let you use it because of that.

There are tons of YouTube videos on creating a special plug to fix the problem.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #4

I too don't have personal experience with this subject, but I can share a few videos I keep for just such an issue that may address your problem:

Note: I also don't know what impact a surge suppressor would have, but maybe after you get your generator working you can clarify all these points?

and this one... about a "bonded neutral generator" and a "floating neutral generator:

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #5

MattL: How did you fix your generator problem?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote