Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Equalize function Zantrex (Heart 1500)

I have a 2002 Journey 36 DL with the Xantrex Heart 1500 Inverter/Charger which has a non-adjustable float voltage of 13.2 VDC. I am at shore power 2-3 months with a few days driving at 14.1 VDC alternator levels. Everything seems to be functioning well, including the remote panel. I have an AMP-L-Start installed. The question I have relates to the Equalize function (which I have never tried since I replaced the batteries 3 years ago). Does anyone regularly "Equalize" their batteries? How often?

The reason I ask is because I had a sailboat with 4 each Deep Cycle100AH batteries. The inverter/charger was the Heart 2000. I was told by the battery manufacturer to not equalize very often ( Once per 6 month period). I was tied to dock power a good % of the time and the Heart 2000 was set to a float voltage of 13.6 VDC and the alternator was 14.2 VDC when running the engine.

Recently, I saw a video by "Free Range Sailing" that said his batteries have lasted 10 years and he set his charger for 14.7 VDC and is quite happy to "boil" his batteries and add water every month as necessary. He says that it is necessary to do this to get rid of any sulfation. The are not tied to shore power but use engine alternator, solar and wind power.

I know there are several really smart people who regularly contribute here and they may be really knowledgeable charge system vs battery life vs sulfation people. Anyone know what I was talking about above?
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Battery equalization is a process by which the charger allows the voltage to rise even after it is 100% charged. It will rise to about 15V which is enough to "boil" the electrolyte. This boiling stirs up the lead sulfate solids in the bottom of the battery and puts it back into solution as sulfuric acid and lead on the plates. This increases the capacity of the batteries.

I have only done it once or twice during years of deep cycle battery use. At best I would do it every 6 months of continuous use. Much depends on whether the batteries have been deeply discharged. If you mostly camp with hookups, then it is likely not needed at all.

And don't do it with AGM batteries. Only do it with batteries that have filler ports and check and add water afterwards.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote