Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2023, 06:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

no power to TVs and CD entertainment system

Folks,
I own a Sightseer 35G...currenty on a stay over for 7 days. All my TVs are without power as well as the CD entertainment system. My inverter is also without power. I have multiple times connected AC directly to XM 1000 inverter to run some lights or such, never had a problem. But TODAY!11.........I also realized while trouble shooting the issue that if I would have bent down just a bit further, there is an AC outlet mounted to the top of the bay. Duh! Anyway, I have checked and reset everything I know to. GFI outlets, circuit breaker evrything checks out. What am I missing? Anyone had this issue? Can you help us?

Please advise....My wife would be Happy, and you know what they say... Happy Wife.....

Warmest Regards, John B
jkbpeavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What's missing? Any kind of indication of when your RV was made!
Wiring is one of the things they change the most often!
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran RV Owner

The inverter may also have a reset switch on it. I occasionally have to press to reset my inverter.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:46 PM   #4
Site Team

How about nearly dead house batteries? The inverter can’t make 110v if the batteries are below the “Low Voltage Cutoff” setting.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

2016 Winnebago Sightseer 35G
Old 12-21-2023, 08:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Got it.
There are two builds of that model, early and late but this portion seems the same!
I suggest doing a bit of checking on how the wiring gets power to, through, and out of the inverter back to the RV.
There are some snap together connectors which likely are hiding if not looking special hard for them!
Click this snip[ of the drawings for better view of what I suspect or go direct here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_189611.pdf
Sheet 1 has the details of the plugs
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	188105

Power comes to these plugs from load center on Romex marked/stamped PUR.
Power feeds from left on this drawing1 through 4. The inverter is in the middle between points I marked as 2 and 3. Hope that makes sense?
assuming the power gets from good breaker at load center to 1, does it make it pass the connection to 2?

I might suggest testing the outlet at the inverter on the inverter itself for power coming out of that outlet. If no power coming out there, I would look back to the plug to see power is getting past the first connecting point between 1 AND 2.
If power is good at inverter, look at connection between 3 and 4 as that is power coming out of inverter to RV for this leg.

Look for stamped ID on the romex as a way to spot which connection this is.
I think it may be hiding up above the inverter out of sight but may also be above floor?? Not good drawings for locations!

Name:	inverter2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	188106

Name:	inverter3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	188107

Note that there appears to be an outlet just above the inverter? This looks like it is on a different circuit (BLUE) and will be live when turning off the purple circuit. Not to think it dead when still alive!!!
Possibly useful as light source when working on inverter, etc. but use care!

Possibly some corrosion on the plugs/connectors? Possible also a bad inverter but no need to go there yet when it might be simple and cheap???

Good luck on the chase!
Old 12-21-2023, 12:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

To the best of my knowledge all inverters have a breaker panel, from which the fed circuits exit. Have you tested the breakers in that panel box for power? If there is none, what is the voltage on each battery in your house bank? What is the low voltage setting for your inverter? Is there a large (fuse in the battery cable between battery band and inverter, is it good?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
To the best of my knowledge all inverters have a breaker panel, from which the fed circuits exit. Have you tested the breakers in that panel box for power? If there is none, what is the voltage on each battery in your house bank? What is the low voltage setting for your inverter? Is there a large (fuse in the battery cable between battery band and inverter, is it good?

I would agree with you, but things are a little different in my Journey 36G. I have the small 600W inverter that plugs into an outlet near the block heater outlet in the electrical bay. The circuit continues to all my entertainment outlets, powers both TV's, the Blu-Ray/Surround Sound, and a couple more outlets. So technically a 15A breaker powering a 600W inverter. Of course the inverter has over current protection, but an issue with my inverter could present it self as no power to the entertainment outlets, without tripping the breaker in my AC Panel.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

It gets a little tricky to do these snips and show enough to make sense of the path and still keep the print large enough to see clearly!
But this RV has a somewhat simple path for the inverter and the circuit is feeds. No inverter panel and just pretty much straight from small breaker to inverter and connections there before going to the end.

My thinking was that they do not suggest any trouble on other parts, so assuming the main feeds are good, if we start at the 15 amp purple circuit, it looked like the easy way to know the 15 amp breaker is good is to go to the outlet on the inverter face as an easy test point.
Click to get best view or go direct.

Name:	inverter path.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	188110

If we get power there we can say the breaker and wiring all the way back tot he main is good and we need to look at points 3 and 4 for something stopping power from the inverter out to the end.
If no power at the outlet directly on the inverter face, then it becomes a question of the connection at 1 and 2 or the breaker as the most likely suspects. OR possibly a bad inverter?
This is a 1000 watt inverter and no doubt they were beginning to see more people wanting more inverter power, so bumped the size up as an option 401! I would guess that you get no inverter without that option?
Old 01-03-2024, 07:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbpeavey View Post
Folks,
I own a Sightseer 35G...currenty on a stay over for 7 days. All my TVs are without power as well as the CD entertainment system. My inverter is also without power. I have multiple times connected AC directly to XM 1000 inverter to run some lights or such, never had a problem. But TODAY!11.........I also realized while trouble shooting the issue that if I would have bent down just a bit further, there is an AC outlet mounted to the top of the bay. Duh! Anyway, I have checked and reset everything I know to. GFI outlets, circuit breaker evrything checks out. What am I missing? Anyone had this issue? Can you help us?

Please advise....My wife would be Happy, and you know what they say... Happy Wife.....

Warmest Regards, John B
I’m a little late to the party and maybe you’ve got the problem solved but I’ll offer my 2 cents just in case. I recently got up close and personal with my Xantrex XR 1000. I acquired my problem from the previous owner, everything in-house worked fine except the inverter. I had power at the receptacle on the face of the inverter and my TV’s but when off of shore power and not having the generator running if I tried powering on the inverter from the the control panel it would throw an E05 code and then nothing. My inverter like yours only powers the entertainment centers and a couple outlets which all worked fine in my case.
Here’s the deal with mine, the inverter is on the branch circuit from the breaker box that feeds those locations. The inverter has pass through relay circuitry in it that when on shore or generator power it allows power to pass thru the inverter to the TV outlets. If the inverter has no incoming power, you power on the inverter and the relay flips from pass through to allow the inverter to feed power to the TV’s using the coach batteries.
After tearing into my inverter I discovered blown transistors and the PO had snipped and rewired the internal AC circuit to give power to the TV’s through the ground fault receptacle on the face of the inverter.
So my guess is that you need a new inverter. Or, you can simply remove the inverter and connect the infeed and outfeed together in a box with the ground fault receptacle to feed your TV’s. I chose to replace the modified sine wave Xantrex with a Renogy pure sine wave and made my own pass through switch (with a little help from Powercat) at half the cost. Here’s a link to the post.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...7f-367307.html
Old 01-05-2024, 04:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yes, That was it...finally saw once I put some light on the subject.
Thanks!

Tags
power