Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2023, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No house battery power?

2018 Intent 26m
Just spent 2 days with shore power, everything worked great. Prior to that, finished 400 watt solar install, and used that for 4 days at home. Worked great (got it to power residential fridge). Left campground, and now lights, waterpump, don't run off the house batteries. If I run the motor, everything works. As soon as I turn the motor off, nothing. However, the inverter is still running the fridge, and my battery monitor shows 96%. The battery switch is on.
Help!
Dirtdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:39 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

Possibly a bad 300A fuse at battery terminal or house disconnect solenoid could be bad. Start by tracing cable if possible and see where you lose power with a test light or meter. Bad battery ground??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Can you explain the function of the battery switch solenoid? Does it automatically switch from shore power to battery? Seems like its related to that.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdad View Post
2018 Intent 26m
Just spent 2 days with shore power, everything worked great. Prior to that, finished 400 watt solar install, and used that for 4 days at home. Worked great (got it to power residential fridge). Left campground, and now lights, waterpump, don't run off the house batteries. If I run the motor, everything works. As soon as I turn the motor off, nothing. However, the inverter is still running the fridge, and my battery monitor shows 96%. The battery switch is on.
Help!
This seems very confusing as we work our way into understanding what the RV will and will not do. Confusion is normal but study is needed to understand all the new ideas we find.
So first question if you have the owners manual to read up on what to expect and learn some of the terms.
If not in a big bag of info, this is where to find and download the online manual for your RV:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...r-manuals/2018

In section 6, there is a great deal of info about the electrical and you will need to study it to get a handle on what things do as there appears to be lots you are missing or what you are saying.

One point is when you say you have no house battery power but the inverter is working? IF the inverter is working, it is using 12 house battery power to make 110AC power. So the two ideas of the inverter working and no house battery power do not fit together! Either there IS house battery power or the inverter IS NOT going to work. It can't be both ways, so we need to know more about what is happening to begin to help.

If the power cord is plugged in and getting power from a plug or the generator, the inverter doesn't have to work as all the items that need 110 aC will be getting it from the cord. The inverter should normally be turned OFF if it is not needed as a way to keep it from running the batteries down when it is not needed and really doing nothing.
Section 6 explains this as well as plugging in the cord to either a plug or the generator plug.

There are two different items on the RV and they work kind of opposite. One is the inverter which uses 12VDC to make 110AC and the other is a converter which uses 110AC to make 12VDC to run low power stuff as well as charge the batteries. The converter puts power into the batteries and the inverter takes it out!

When plugged and the converter is getting AC power the batteries should read well above 12, possibly 13+ as the converter charging is working. If the battery voltage is less than 12 and you are plugged in, there is something keeping the converter from charging the batteries.

You need to tell us what is actually happening with the batteries without worry about the inverter at this point as it is not needed when plugged in or generator is running. I would suggest turning it off until you figure out if the batteries are okay and getting charged as needed.

You will likely need a meter to read all kinds of things to fix the electrical systems as the monito is a pretty lame syustem that will give you all kinds of info that really menas very little for troubleshooting.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

House batteries are fully charged per my Renogy battery monitor. Yes, they are powering the inverter great. No generator running, not plugged into 110. Battery switch is on. Lights don't work. Water pump won't work. If I run the motor, it all works, if I plug to 110, it all works. Whatever automatically switches from 110 to house battery power is not switching. The inverter must be independent of that. I hope I'm explaining what is going on better.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdad View Post
Can you explain the function of the battery switch solenoid? Does it automatically switch from shore power to battery? Seems like its related to that.
The battery switch solenoid is what switches the battery connection to the coach on/off, and should always be on/closed when using the coach.
The ATS/automatic transfer switch is what switches the coach from shore power to generator power.
Your solar install should not be routed through the ATS or the battery solenoid switch. IMO
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think this must be a problem where you may have let one wire slip down where you are not seeing it, etc. and it may take looking with a meter to sort out where things go wrong.
I would want to start with getting the 110 AC power into the load center where there are both the AC and DC fuses.
first I might go to the coach batteries and look at the voltage. If I see 12.7 or so without the cord plugged in, that is normal for a fully charged lead acid battery, then when I plug in, that should make the converter behind the load center fuses begin to hum and the voltage at the batteries should jump as high as 13 + if they are being charged. Make sure to test the voltage both on the cable clamp as well as the battery post to avoid overlooking any bad cable connection.
It may also help to verify that the inverter is actually working off the coach set and not someway got connected to the chassis battery in some of the changes.
It sounds like something got in the wrong place when adding the equipment but it is hard to spot from here.
I would first start with the inverter off as it is not needed for anything other than making DC to AC when not plugged in and may just be causing confusion some way??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power