Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2023, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No battery power in 2018 Micro Minnie 2106FBS

Looking for ideas.

I have a 2018 2106FBS. It has two Battleborn batteries. We have owned the trailer for about a year now. I have had no issues with the batteries until this weekend. Everything was working well while we were boondocking. About 4 in the morning it started to get cold. I woke up and saw there was no power. Battery bypass was in the correct position.

When I got home I hooked up the trailer and everything worked well. Battery indicator was at 4 red lights. Unplugged the indicator was at zero even after 24 plus hours with house power (I have the converter and have had no problem with this for a year). Checked each battery with a voltmeter and they read over 12.5. All fuses look good. Circuit breakers not tripped. Turned them on and off again - no help. I found the fuse near the battery boxes and it was good. No obvious break in the wires going into the trailer. Like I said it was all working well until 4 in the morning. About 2/3's of our trips were boondocking with no issues. I am not sure what could have gone wrong just sitting at the campsite.

Any suggestions before I bring this into the dealership?

Thanks in advance.
Mikefitz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Team

I would have said its the master resettable breaker on the trailer tongue. But you said, "the fuse near the battery boxes and it was good." If you're sure about that, them I'm at a loss because that's really the main culprit in these issues.

I am concerned about your battery voltage. Battleborn LFPs should normally be at 13.5v not 12.5v. But even at 12.5v you should have some power. Could your Battleborn BMS have shut off for some reason to protect the battery?

As to taking it to a dealership... well, that's up to you but 99.9% of RV dealers would be as much at a loss on this as you are. But they'll make you wait 2-months before charging you a ton and giving you back your TT probably without fixing it.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I do not follow the trailer group very well and there are few if any online sources for wiring info! But it seems to be a frequent complaint to not be able to find the right place to check for breaker, etc as it seems to be "hidden" on many types.
Maybe a check of this post and all the varied ideas will help spot the hidden breakers?

Be aware that if it is in the metal box under the frame, it is often overlooked on the first pass!
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3890879

Gold mine or three pages of useless?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I checked again and the voltage in both batteries is 12.72. I think I may try replacing the fuse near the battery box just to see what happens. Probably nothing. I will spend some time reading the link Morich sent me. I do turn off the battery switch when we will not use the trailer for a couple of weeks. I think what puzzles me is that everything was working until 4AM. I have been looking to see if a rodent chewed some of the wires, but can't see anything so far. Maybe the low voltage means it needs to be charged more? I am grabbing for straws. I did check the batteries after I plugged in the trailer and it still reads 12.7. I assume hooked up or not hooked up should not make a difference. I think I will crawl around under the trailer some more.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am not sure if any of this will help. Batteries show 12.72 on the voltmeter. The trailer is plugged in and there is no change in the battery voltage so I assume there is no power going to the batteries (or power coming from the batteries). If the trailer is not plugged into the house there is no power. All the wire hookups to the batteries are tight. I do have a hookup for solar on the battery box. I think I will hook that up tomorrow just to see if the batteries recharge. It won't do much good for power in the trailer, but it will show me if the batteries are capable of recharging. Is there any reason to pull the wires off the batteries and check the voltage while the trailer is hooked up to the house? Should'nt there be a charge on the wires if the trailer is on house current? What I can't figure out is why it would suddenly stop working in the early morning hours when all was fine the previous evening and into the early morning hours of the next day. I wil keep looking.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

the reason I sent that link along is that it may have some really important info on the location of breakers that are not found by most people on first look. The reports indicate that there are different breakers and arrangements on different trailers but the first step for many is to go under the front of the trailer and look up along the inside of the frame near the front. some have found the more obvious breakers that they spot, while others report finding a metal 4X4 electrical box, look inside and find lots of wires, but no breaker, so they overlook one tiny little breaker that is mounted to the bottom of the box!
That is about all I have gleaned from reading several reports. First thought is to suggest looking for the wires and obvious breakers which are not in obvious places! They have to actually be pointed to the spot, find them and some find the right button to push, while others open the metal box and STILL miss the tiny breaker and switch!

A second post on much the same with much the same location and solution:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ue-360373.html

Point being that you may be following a long, long, trail of folks with this problem and looking at what they have found may save you a lot of drama and testing?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Mikefitz6,

Check the junction box attached to the inside of your campers frame, near where the A-frame is attached to the main frame.

Below is a picture of where my junction box is located. It's located on the roadside front corner where the A-frame comes through the main frame of the camper.

Check inside and you should find a small manual resettable breaker underneath all the wiring. Here is a link to a labeled picture by "tinglett" of the inside of the junction box showing the 30A breaker. If this breaker is tripped you will not have power between your battery and the converter/charger/fuse panel.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200616_165043.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	187597  
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Morich and Fred 2106DS,

I did remove the cover on the box under the frame on the drivers side. Lots of wires. No switch. I did see a small plastic tab and touched it and it went "CLICK". Yep, that was the reset switch. All works fine now. Charge is up to 13.2 Continuing to charge. My other mistake was thinking I was charging the battery with the BDS set to off. It is a good day. I learned things.

Thank you both. If you come to Grand Junction in Colorado I owe you a beer, diet Coke, or whatever your drink of choice is!

Tags
power, battery