Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 07:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need Help with Xantrex

Just upgraded my new MM 2108ds with 170ah LiFePo4, Victron smart shunt, and Xantrex XC2000. The Xantrex works as it should on shore power, but shuts down in a half second when no shore power and panel button depressed to start on dc only. Battery at 100% SOC. Am I screwing something up, or is there a problem with the inverter?
Old 03-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

" and panel button depressed to start on dc only" Do you mean the dash panel start boost button that connects the coach battery to the chassis battery to boost starting. If so it could be drawing so much currant that the BM is shutting it down. That then turns off the inverter.

Lithium batteries are not designed to supply hundreds of amps of starting current and the BM will shut it down if you try.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It’s a travel trailer, so no power to coach. I just want it to invert dc power from battery to ac power. I thought the button on the panel was an on/off switch.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your help David. I am proof that if you fiddle with something long enough you either figure it out or break it.
The Xantrex works fine. All the time I was thinking it wasn’t working, I was fooled by the fact that it sits there in standby mode (appearing that it’s off) waiting for an AC load. I was watching tv in the trailer, and as soon as I disconnected shore power, the Xantrex picked up the load without a blink.
I feel so stupid, and curse myself for not reading all 72 pages of the Xantrex manual.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just keep in mind that when you are boondocking for any extended periods of time, that standby mode does have a power draw that can add up over time. I'm in the habit of shutting the system down at night.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Mad,
Fortunately, I installed a disconnect switch between the Xantrex and my positive bus bar.. I’m just finishing two 24 hr tests. One with all dc loads and Xantrex disconnected to measure 12v fridge consumption. The other one is the same test with Xantrex in standby mode, no ac or dc loads except fridge. I’ll post later today.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Just upgraded my new MM 2108ds with 170ah LiFePo4, Victron smart shunt, and Xantrex XC2000. The Xantrex works as it should on shore power, but shuts down in a half second when no shore power and panel button depressed to start on dc only. Battery at 100% SOC. Am I screwing something up, or is there a problem with the inverter?

Check Program Setting #1. This should be "OFF". If it is not OFF, it's looking for a voltage at the Ignition Signal Input connector, to enable the inverter.

DM me for a listing of all recommended program settings for lithium batteries.
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Thanks Mad,
Fortunately, I installed a disconnect switch between the Xantrex and my positive bus bar.. I’m just finishing two 24 hr tests. One with all dc loads and Xantrex disconnected to measure 12v fridge consumption. The other one is the same test with Xantrex in standby mode, no ac or dc loads except fridge. I’ll post later today.

There should be no need to ever disconnect the Xantrex from the battery, except for servicing or very-long-term storage. When the inverter button is off, it pulls essentially zero amps. With the button in, with no load, the standby current is roughly 1-2 amps depending on the mode it's programmed (setting #5).
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, xantrex