Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am looking for some help. I have just installed an RS 3000 Xantrex inverter/charger and am about to install the auto gen start accessory. I would like to hook it up to the t-stat as well to turn on the generator in the event of a shore power failure when we are away and the pooch is alone in the coach. My question is this: I have a 2004 Horizon 40AD with the Coleman Mach t-stat. Which terminals on the stat do I connect with the Yellow (thermostat 1 input) and the Gray (thermostat 1 return)? According to my wiring on the t-stat, there is a Y1 (compressor 1) and a B (12 VDC negative). Are these the points that I should be using? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is a good place to install the Auto Gen Start control panel? Is there a preffered location?

Thanks again in advance,

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am looking for some help. I have just installed an RS 3000 Xantrex inverter/charger and am about to install the auto gen start accessory. I would like to hook it up to the t-stat as well to turn on the generator in the event of a shore power failure when we are away and the pooch is alone in the coach. My question is this: I have a 2004 Horizon 40AD with the Coleman Mach t-stat. Which terminals on the stat do I connect with the Yellow (thermostat 1 input) and the Gray (thermostat 1 return)? According to my wiring on the t-stat, there is a Y1 (compressor 1) and a B (12 VDC negative). Are these the points that I should be using? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, is a good place to install the Auto Gen Start control panel? Is there a preffered location?

Thanks again in advance,

Pete
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Pete - see my RV pages for details on my RS2000 and auto gen start install. I think somebody has figured out how to use the original t-stat for AGS control, but I just added an additional simple t-stat.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

John,
Thanks, but a few more questions. By using a secondary t-stat do you need to set it at a different temp than the one that controls the AC so that the generator is running when the coach calls for AC?
Also, what color are the wires that you connected to the secondary t-stat? I am guessing the yellow t-stat input and the gray t-stat return. Am I on the right track?
Nice install of the RC2000. I did mine a little differently.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Pete - my t-stat setup is pretty simple. The new t-stat was modified to only provide a contact closure to the AGS to call for gen start when the set temperature is reached.

The theory of operation is you set the AGS t-stat (the added one) to, say 90 degrees. The primary (original) t-stat is already set up for cooling. If there is a shore power loss, the temperature will climb in the coach ultimately triggering the ASG t-stat and starting the gen set. When power is restored, the AC should start up automatically.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi Pete,

I just installed the Xantrex AGS to go along with my RS2000. On my 36RD I put it inside the compartment for the DustBuster and flashlight which is right below the OnePlace center. I'm on the road right now, but when I get home next weekend (14/15th) I can give you the details on the wiring connections I made. One thing I found was that, as detailed in the thread on adding the EC-30, it's necessary to connect together the two 'freeze' wires at the thermostat (I think they were pins 3 & 5). I made all of my connection to the wires coming up into the OnePlace, after tracing them back from the thermostat connector--that allows the Thermostat to be removed with disturbing the connections.

I think there are two options to suppress auto-start when shore power is present. One is John's separate thermostat, set a bit higher than the Coleman Mach. The other would be a 12v transformer (like a doorbell transformer) connected to the incoming A/C line before the transfer switch and connected to the 'external shutdown' connection on the AGS. The method is the one I have been considering, although I haven't set it up yet.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help. Look forward to your wiring details when you return.
Pete
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I installed the Xantrex AGS on my RS2000 on my last Bus. I instaled a small relay in the AC power compartment. It's 120 VAC coil was powered by the shore power side of the automatic transfer switch. Then I routed the leads from the thermostat through the normally closed contacts before connecting to the AGS module. That way, even if the thermostat is calling for cooling, the AGS won't see it if the shore power is present because trhe relay breaks that circuit. I installed the RS3000 on my 2007 Bus but did not use the AGS module because it came equipped with the Onan EC-30.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just thought I would pass along some info. I spoke with RV Products (Mfg of the AC unit) and engineering said that they had a t-stat with a built in AGS delay circuit which will allow the Gen to start before the AC load is started. The t-stat model # is 6537-344* with the * being different depending on the coach mfg.
Hope this helps.
Pete