Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2023, 07:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ideas for HDMI cabling to bedroom and exterior TV

We just purchased a 2017 SunStar LX and it is always fun trying to figure out what the previous owner did for certain issues that are concealed by the RV manufacturer. I have read several posts about HDMI cabling to our 3 different TV's, but most are older posts, so I am looking for something more current that reflects todays technologies.
I was able to determine that only the main TV next to the fridge has an HDMI input, which is connected to the Sat receiver located in a small compartment above the drivers seat. The rear and exterior TV's only have composite video cables and I could not find an HDMI switch box anywhere. I am not really concerned about the bedroom TV, but would really like to get an HDMI connection to the exterior TV. I don't mind fishing a cable thru the RV if a path exists and I don't mind if the same picture is on both TV's. All TV's are 1080i (Insigna factory units - not smart TV's), we have a Dishnetwork 211 receiver, and a Dishnetwork tailgator mounted on the roof.
TD
Old 12-04-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
Site Team

There are not likely easy ways to run new wiring, but there are HDMI over Coax devices and even wireless HDMI extenders available. I don’t know how well they work but Amazon has plenty of those options.

I’m confused, you have 1080p TVs without HDMI inputs? That seems odd. Also, the Dish VIP 211 receiver doesn’t output HDMI, you would need a Dish Wally for HDMI wouldn’t you? And why do you want to route HDMI to a TV without a HDMI input?
Old 12-04-2023, 08:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Well, I meant to say HDMI cable and not input. All TV's have an HDMI input. But the other two TV's are connected with composite cables (RWY) back to the switch box above the passenger seat. Our VP211 sat receiver does have an HDMI output, which is what is connected to our TV next to the fridge via an HDMI cable. We have a Dish Wally also, but the 211 is on our package with dish and it has composite video outputs as well as an HDMI output. Sorry for the confusion.
TD
Old 12-04-2023, 09:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

So if we move beyond the plan, the basic idea is that you want to add a cable from point "A" to "B"?
That is often more a matter of how much you know about fishing combined with what the route involves?
Are you used to fishing blind like this may involve or is this a new venture? How do you feel about surface mounted in some of the various duct materials?

Point being that there is not likely to be a ready made route for this but RV are often just pretty much cardboard that comes apart really easily and things can be added but it does involve knowing what it takes.

My question would be what you are needing to talk about? Are you looking for ideas of what to connect to what or is it getting the wire from one point to another that you need to discuss?

When you mention fishing the cable, one of the problems I have found is that it is often not obvious whether we can run across the ceiling without meeting something like a metal cross member hidden where we did not expect it. I can fish across four feet or so but not if there is a solid metal out there 2 feet away! Generally I find going down and across the basement to be easier than the ceiling, but that depends on where and what you are needing!
That seems to leave it to starting with one plan but being ready to change if you get there and the plan doesn't work! No real way to form the plan until you get there and find it blocked!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Morich,

I was looking for guidance from somebody with the same or similar RV that accomplished what I am trying to achieve - getting an HDMI cable from over the compartment above the driver to the exterior TV. Or, getting an HDMI signal to the exterior TV via any method.
I have "fished" wire thru 15' or so thru cabinets, voids, and other spaces in other RV's, so this is not new to me. Always up for a new challenge.
However, I have read about wireless methods (my comment about today's technologies) and other options currently available. So, I am open to any option that works, with the least amount of R&R of panels and trim pieces in the RV.
TD
Old 12-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeDuner View Post
Well, I meant to say HDMI cable and not input.
That helps a lot. In the old days, the 211 receiver didn't come with HDMI. Plus, the Wally has a RF remote and the 211 an IR remote. When we had the 211 we also had a TV wired with composite and used a HDMI to Composite converter box. We dumped Dish and went full streaming about 6 years ago - at home and on the RV.

I would guess your best bet is to use a wireless HDMI extender. You put one on the Dish receiver's HDMI output and another on the outside TV's HDMI input and voila!

They cost between $66 and $150 for the pair. I would assume the more expensive models work better.

https://www.amazon.com/wireless-hdmi...+hdmi+extender
Old 12-04-2023, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yea, I bought a cheap one from Amazon, it lasted 3 months and burned up. It was always hot anyway and finally let the smoke out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ray,

That seems to be a pretty occurrence with the wireless HDMI extenders. I was hoping for news about one that was quiet and worked well for RV's. We shall see.
TD
Old 12-10-2023, 09:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

HDMI

I just purchased my 2016 Vista LX and have the exact same problem and have the same horsecrap component cables ran outside and to the bedroom. I have roku’s on all the TV’s but did want to use my HDMI splitter and put a PS4 or something that can do games and blu-ray and send out to all TV’s simultaneously. I refuse to pay for a wireless transmitter just because Winnebago is 10yrs behind the world in A/V tech. I’m going to run lines under the RV, should be easy for the outside TV but will be a long run to the bedroom, will snake it up behind the the dressor drawers likely. Will post some pics when I’m don’t but it will be a few months.
Jado27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jado27,
For me, the bedroom is not worth the effort, but the outside TV should be pretty easy. Our Dish receiver is in the compartment over the driver, so I can either come down the left or right windshield pillar (removable covers) to get to the floor and then thru the floor, under the RV to the compartment under the outside TV, then thru the cord opening in the floor of the compartment to the TV with an HDMI cable from the Sat receiver. I will use a splitter at the Sat receiver and I will get the same signal on both the outside TV and the main TV by the fridge.
We are using a Dish 211, but our RV came with a Dish Wally which we may switch to since it has UHF remote.
TD
Old 12-11-2023, 10:22 AM   #11
Site Team

HDMI is fragile. There is a lot of handshaking going on between the TV and the source device making it not suitable for long runs.

My 2017 Adventurer has HDMI at every TV but instead of running HDMI to each location Winnebago ran Ethernet. There is an HDMI Matrix switcher in the front of the RV and small receivers (network balun) at each TV. You plug your source into the switcher with HDMI. Then plug each TV's receiver into the Ethernet cable and it outputs HDMI locally. This way you can run multiple sources to multiple TVs.

Ethernet works better over long runs and is much less fragile a connection.

Here's a simple version without the switcher and receivers for $12 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KNDHSJT...ing=UTF8&psc=1

There are also "HDMI over Coax" systems that will use pre-existing coax (cable) TV cables run to each TV. But they are more expensive.