Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Honda Generator/Micro Minnie FLX overload

Hi - We have a new Micro Minnie FLX. We bought a Honda 2200i generator as a backup. When I attach it, it shows that it's providing 140A of power, but after 30 seconds or so the generator starts racing and then stops, with the overload light on.

Any idea what's going on?

thanks
lgudema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgudema View Post
Hi - We have a new Micro Minnie FLX. We bought a Honda 2200i generator as a backup. When I attach it, it shows that it's providing 140A of power, but after 30 seconds or so the generator starts racing and then stops, with the overload light on.

Any idea what's going on?

thanks
It sounds like the AC is trying to start and the inrush current is too much for the generator, is the AC switched on when this happens?. Your converter may also be drawing a lot which doesn't leave enough for the AC to start. Try switching off the converter breaker and see what happens, then try it without the AC on. You may also consider installing a soft/easy start for the AC.
And I think you mean 14 amps, not 140. If something is indeed trying to draw 140 amps that would shut your generator down in a heartbeat. I'm assuming everything works on shore power?

The Honda 2200i can provide up to 18.3 amps (2,200 watts) of surge and is rated at 15 amps or 1,800 watts continuous.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, but nothing's on. Not the fridge, not even the inverter. So the AC couldn't be on.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks, but nothing's on. Not the fridge, not even the inverter. So the AC couldn't be on.
The inverter wouldn't matter but the converter would. Have you tried using the Honda on something else like a window AC, a space heater, microwave or anything high draw just to verify there is nothing wrong with the generator? Even a vacuum cleaner would work, anything with a motor or a heat/cool producing appliance. You need to first see if it's the RV or the generator. Divide and Conquer, that's how you figure out electrical problems.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It works fine with a small vac, but it's only drawing 2A. The RV was drawing 140.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It works fine with a small vac, but it's only drawing 2A. The RV was drawing 140.
If the RV was trying to draw 140 amps there is something trying to start up. A heat pump or AC compressor can draw 5 to 6 times it's running current when it starts (inrush) and a converter can draw roughly 5-10 amps (depending on size) when first started as it tries to charge the batteries. A water heater element is around 10-12 amps. Any two together will easily overload a 2200 watt generator. I know you said the AC was off but try turning it off at the circuit breaker along with the converter. Switch off all the breakers in the RV, plug into the generator and see if it holds. Then start switching on breakers one at a time giving plenty of time between each one and see if a certain one is the source of the overload.

This is assuming nothing is wrong in the RV and I'm guessing it has no issues on shore power?
Old 07-05-2023, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with my 2000w D/F Champion generator. It was a setting in the Xantrex that is causing your generator to go into overload mode. I bet it’s the same setting in your Xantrex set to 30amps. That setting needs to be adjusted between 15 and 18 amps. See the picture I attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xantrex settings.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	186540  
Gtekeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 11:19 AM   #8
Site Team

Just guessing, because it could be a number of things. But I'd say your generator is trying to poor a massive amount of amps into your Lithionics battery.

I don't have a FLX so, I'm not sure. Does the Xantrax Inverter/Charger have a changeable setting for incoming power ratings... like can you tell it you are on 30-amp service or 15-amp service? If so, you want to set it on 15-amp.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtekeepr View Post
I had the same problem with my 2000w D/F Champion generator. It was a setting in the Xantrex that is causing your generator to go into overload mode. I bet it’s the same setting in your Xantrex set to 30amps. That setting needs to be adjusted between 15 and 18 amps. See the picture I attached.
This looks like the most likely issue seeing that the RV in question has a pretty substantial battery bank.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Just guessing, because it could be a number of things. But I'd say your generator is trying to poor a massive amount of amps into your Lithionics battery.

I don't have a FLX so, I'm not sure. Does the Xantrax Inverter/Charger have a changeable setting for incoming power ratings... like can you tell it you are on 30-amp service or 15-amp service? If so, you want to set it on 15-amp.
@ Creativepart, you are 100% correct. I can adjust the inverter/charger for 50amps all the way down to 15amps. The Micro Minnies are usuall 30amp max. So, setting is changed depending on the power source, 30amps when at RV Parks, 15amps using 110v outlet (or small generator) at home or my 30amp plug at home.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and let you know.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

@gtekeepr You were right! I changed it to 16A and the Honda generator works like a charm; also when it's connected to my home. It will even run the Truma AC while charing the battery with the surplus power.

Could I keep it at 16A when connected to campground shore power? It might charge slower, but as long as the battery is sufficiently charged I can use the systems while it's charging. Yes?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sorry I’m late.
When you want or need to charge your battery quickly, set your Xantrex to 80 charging amps. This is not the best setting for battery life, but sometimes you need to charge up fast. When you don’t need to charge fast, leave the Xantrex set at 20 charging amps. That’s 240 watts when charging. Which leaves sufficient incoming wattage to power any other appliance in the camper, but not all. Subtract 240 from the continuous output of your generator to determine how much incoming power remains. Same when you’re connected to 15 amp SP. 15x110= 1,650 watts. Which happens to be exactly the same as a 2500w generator running on propane. If your 1,350 btu A/C is equipped with easy start, you can charge and run A/C at the same time, but no other ac loads; or charge and use microwave. But if you turn on the ac TV, you’re into overload.

If you’re on 30amp shore power. You can run almost everything, and charge at whatever amperage you want. The Xantrex will compensate load sharing.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I guess I should have explained the Xantrex load share feature for those who have not used it. Great feature. In the app go to settings. Then go to grid. You’ll see the AC breaker setting. Set this number to something less than the continuing amperage output rating of your generator, or if you’re using a 15 amp SP circuit, set it to 13 to be on the safe side. If your generator outputs 1650 watts, the AC breaker setting should be set to 13. When I figured this out, I’ve never had another generator overload. The Xantrex will modulate or reduce charging current as total ac loads approach the the ac breaker setting. Of course, you can still overload, regardless of whether you’re charging if you total ac loads exceed the input amperage.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

@ lgudema, Marine359 is correct on the Xantrex load share feature. I have my Xantrex set to 15amps, but when I was at an RV park I did not reset it when I was plugged in and everything worked just fine. Even using the AC and microwave at the same time worked great!

Glad I could help out. be safe out there!

Tags
generator