Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Aspect axle overload

We bought a 2009 30C, on our shake down cruise we found that the rear axle was 270 lbs over weight. We are going to Alaska next year and an overloaded axle is unacceptable. I wrongly assumed the tow dolly would have minimum tongue weight. Have since gone to 4 wheel down towing, removed the spare tire and brackets and plan to buy aluminum wheels. Also thinking about removing the generator, which we have never needed to use, and carrying a small Honda generator in the back of the toad. Also thinking about removing the NWH levelers.. All advice will be greatly appreciated.

2009 Winnabago Aspect 30C
2003 Ford Sport Trac
Jack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How were you loaded when measured? Full water, gear etc? If so, are there any adjustments you can make?

On our 2011 28B model we were four corner weighed and we were loaded kinda lightly but were still we were waaaay under the limits. Plus the yellow door sticker shows a little over 2500 pounds of CCC and we had something like 1400 pounds left. Both axles had tons of room to spare. Had about 2/3 water on board. We have HWH jacks which I believe are pretty heavy.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We carry very little water, maybe 1/8 tank, propane at 1/3 and both waste tanks empty. there is just the two of us and we traveled light. I have not weighted it again yet, but I think the tow dolly with a Sonata was about 200 lbs tongue weight. I should have weighed it when i bought it.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jack, what are the weight numbers that factory provided? This may be on the inside closet door. The factory reported weight and CCC, the gwwr, front/rear axle ratings, etc. And what are the front/rear axle weight that you measured?

This will give us a baseline to help understand your particular situation and make suggestions.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We just returned from Alaska I would advise keeping your generator as some RV parks are very expensive such as the one in Tok $57. Just across the street there is a Chevron station if you fill up your fuel tank provided free dump free water and you can park behind the station in the empty lot. Aluminum wheels are unsprung weight. I would keep the spare tire has some people even carry extra spare tires. Perhaps you can mount the spare tire on the front of your rig. As for the levelers we were gone for 8 weeks and use our jacks one time. We left our tode at home and were able to go everywhere we wanted to in the motorhome. Hope this helps.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Rear gvwr is 9500, front 5000, as weighed front 4200 rear 9770, as we were lightly loaded I think the rear axle was close to limit from the factory. As for the spare I,m going to carry two new tires, no rims, in the sport trac. I will not be changing them but have on hand for tire service guy
Old 09-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

And what is the ccc? I'm still trying to understand how much discretionary weight capacity that you actually have control over. Maybe you could re-arrange your stuff to get the heavier items in the front storage or cab-over.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack3 View Post
We bought a 2009 30C, on our shake down cruise we found that the rear axle was 270 lbs over weight. We are going to Alaska next year and an overloaded axle is unacceptable. I wrongly assumed the tow dolly would have minimum tongue weight. Have since gone to 4 wheel down towing, removed the spare tire and brackets and plan to buy aluminum wheels. Also thinking about removing the generator, which we have never needed to use, and carrying a small Honda generator in the back of the toad. Also thinking about removing the NWH levelers.. All advice will be greatly appreciated.

2009 Winnabago Aspect 30C
2003 Ford Sport Trac
Jack, this may sound strange but 250# is not a worry in, most cases, on the axle. If you can't shift weight forward while traveling, it might not be a bad idea to beef up the rear suspension. And be certain that the tires are new and rated for your load for your upcoming trek north. Hope you have a great time.

Rick Y
Old 09-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was trying to find out if this problem exists on other Aspects. We of course had moved everything we could to the front, but with no cabover it is limited. I believe that the CCC of 1940lbs is very misleading. I think in the end we will get the rear axle barely within the rating. With the new Michlens and a tire monitor system we'll be OK. Thanks again
Old 09-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Your 2009 motorhome would have a 1940 pound OCCC, right? Not CCC?

CCC is the older method that Winnebago used. It was a smaller number. It would be OCCC minus an allowance for passengers (154 x number of sleeping positions) and water. It'd be 1368 if 2 people were accounted for, and a 33 gallon water tank, and 1060 pounds if 4 persons were accounted for.

1060 is a lot less than 1940. Sounds closer to reality?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote