Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

GFCI problems

Currently have 2019 Winnebago Outlook 31N and discovered GFCI in galley won't reset and as a result have dead outlets below dinette,bathroom,and one outlet on each side of the bed as well as the exterior outlet just outside the entry door.
Switched GFCI out and got same results, any ideas besides possible loose wire in one of the outlets or possible condensation in exterior outlet.

One more question Are motohome GFCI outlets the same as household outlets? Have been advised they are and they are not
Bunny909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would probably start by just checking the GFCI without any of the downstream outlets daisy-chained in. If it works I don't think there's much choice but to look at each downstream outlet, but I'd start with the exterior one and if that looks fine continue on. If they all appear fine I'd check any wiring that involves a slider and wiring exposed in storage compartments.

Not sure how they could possibly be different, but getting a weatherproof (exterior) GFCI probably wouldn't be overkill.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny909 View Post
Currently have 2019 Winnebago Outlook 31N and discovered GFCI in galley won't reset and as a result have dead outlets below dinette,bathroom,and one outlet on each side of the bed as well as the exterior outlet just outside the entry door.
Switched GFCI out and got same results, any ideas besides possible loose wire in one of the outlets or possible condensation in exterior outlet.

One more question Are motohome GFCI outlets the same as household outlets? Have been advised they are and they are not
Not sure if this will help in your circumstances but I had a similar issue with a new to me Voyage. If memory serves me one side of my GFCI worked but down line would not.

I figured it was a bad GFCI so I changed it out and had the same result. After thinking about it I checked the wiring diagram provided with the new GFCI. I followed what was an incorrect wiring job. After correcting the wiring all was good including the receptacle down line.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Are you on shore or generator power? I thought I remember reading a thread someplace about issues resetting when plugged in.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

RV and home GFCI are the same except there may be details in the shape or mounting method, so changing out with a normal type is fine.
But before changing out, it is often good to check for why it is tripping. How to go about that depends on what is easy for starters. First I would want to pull all plugs on equipment that might have a problem in them as that is often easy to do. If there is still a problem, I would move on to disconnecting portions of the circuit like at one of the mid stream outlets as a way to say the problem is to my "left" or to my "right". But that is also going to be decided by which is easier to get to! At times that might make taking the wiring that feeds out from the GFCI as the easy place as I already know for sure where it is!
I find trouble shooting needs to be a combo of both "shotgun" where we just jump to changing out parts as well as really deep thinking. How much of each type work, does depend on lots of small points like what is cheap, what is easy , but it all needs to be done in some reasonable, rational way.
And it is almost alway smart to test things before replacing them if there is a logical way to do it. Far too often, I see techs simply change out a board and say it was bad but when the board is tested it still works good. My explanation for this is that it may have simply been a bad connection at some small wire and when we put in the new board, the wiring is then making good contact. The customer gets a bill for two hundred and waits two weeks when $40 worth of thinking and testing could have done the job!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A GFCI outlet won't reset if there is no power to it. Since you've had two in that some position that don't reset I'd suggest that you start by verifying that you've got power in the wires feeding the outlet, my assumption is that you don't.
At that point you need to work your way 'upstream' to find where the issue is. A wiring diagram and a non-contact voltage tester would go a long way in making your life easier to do that.

Home and RV GFCI outlet function the same, but have different connections on back, and home outlets sit deeper into the wall. If you've got available wall depth to handle a home outlet you can put one in, otherwise you'll need to stick with the slimmer RV/mobile home style.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny909 View Post

Is your service panel breaker tripped?

Standard GFCI. Not all GFCI's are equal. Some are not very good. You need to look up the model rating to know its reputation.

Tags
ems, problems