Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

If the circuit is on it's own breaker, why would a GFI be needed? Doesn't make sense to me. Did he tie into another circuit rather than running the power to the RV separately? If so, why would he have done that? Interesting issues. I do use my EMS even at home ,on the line I put in.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmllr View Post
If the circuit is on it's own breaker, why would a GFI be needed? Doesn't make sense to me. Did he tie into another circuit rather than running the power to the RV separately? If so, why would he have done that? Interesting issues. I do use my EMS even at home ,on the line I put in.
The GFCI is for user safety and is required for dwellings in many locations regardless of the origin of the circuit. If it is required by code, no competent electrician is going to leave himself open to liability by not providing it.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:51 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

This could happen if you have an inverter/charger that is tying the ground and neutral together.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:50 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

My only experience with this is last year while camping at a TVA campground. It was privately run but they said they were now required to install 50A GFCI receptacles. Bottom line is it would not work with my MH, tripped immediately. They had to put a standard receptacle back in, said it was a big problem with almost all the rigs. I am a retired master electrician and have checked my systems pretty thoroughly so I agree with others here that it must be something to do with the energy management system etc. You should already be protected by the GFCI receptacles in the RV so I don't think it's necessary, just a PIA.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:53 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The latest National Electric Code requires the GFCI breaker for a 30 Amp outlet for residential. GFCI breaker wil trip if there is 5 thousands of an amp difference or more between the HOT and NEUTRAL conductors.

I suggest your path forward is to determine where the difference is coming from in your 17204 FB. Have TT Shore Cable unplugged. Energize the 30 amp GFCI fed circuit.

Switch off all the breakers in your TT except for the main 30 A breaker.
Plug in the TT.
--- assuming the GFCI has not yet tripped ... Note: If it has already tripped then there's a problem in the shore cable or the wiring to the electrical panel in the TT.

Turn on breaker feeding microwave, you'll be able to tell by the clock display that you have AC power as you continue troubleshooting

Turn on the remaining breakers one by one until the 30A GFCI trips (microwave clock goes out). The breaker that trips the GFCI has something fed by it that has a problem where some of the hot current is going to ground instead of Neutral, that will need to be isolated and fixed.

You can follow up on this thread when you determine which breaker has something behind it that causes the GFCI to trip and we can suggest further troubleshooting from there.
When I was researching this a while back I came across a code for RV parks. I don't recall the code section number unfortunately. The NEC was exempting GFCI use for RV's; 30 & 50 A are exempt.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:55 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
When I was researching this a while back I came across a code for RV parks. I don't recall the code section number unfortunately. The NEC was exempting GFCI use for RV's; 30 & 50 A are exempt.
Please read the second paragraph of post #5. Bottom line is that the exception doesn't explicitly apply to residential dwellings, only RV parks. Local jurisdictions are therefore left making their own interpretation and ruling.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:51 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1woodward1 View Post
Recently had a 30 amp out door plug installed on the side of my house. Electrician originally installed non gfi breaker. I plugged the camper in and everything seemed to work. I only ran the A/C for a minute or so then unplugged.

Next day electrician came out and swapped breaker with gfi breaker. Now as soon as I plug the the camper in the new breaker flips. Any ideas? TIA.
The first thing I would check is the water heater. Disconnect ALL wires (power, ground, and neutral) in the distribution panel. Then if the GFI does not trip change the element in the water heater. I have seen this happen several times.
CABender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:58 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

The water heater element could be the culprit. Disconnect ALL wires to the water heater. Then if the GFI does not trip change the WH element. I have seen this situation several times.
CABender is offline   Reply With Quote