Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator startup issues

We have an onboard generator in our Sunstar 29VE. It used to take a couple of times to start up the generator (press and hold Start for 5+ seconds). The other day it took four tries. I was starting it up just to exercise the generator. We’re in a cold snap in New England with high temps ~20. Anyway, I was wondering if one of these days it won’t start at all. Is there anything I should be doing other than exercise it once a month?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marudnick View Post
We have an onboard generator in our Sunstar 29VE. It used to take a couple of times to start up the generator (press and hold Start for 5+ seconds). The other day it took four tries. I was starting it up just to exercise the generator. We’re in a cold snap in New England with high temps ~20. Anyway, I was wondering if one of these days it won’t start at all. Is there anything I should be doing other than exercise it once a month?

Thanks.
I see you have had no responses.

-20 is the cold I don't miss.
Did you put https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22214.../dp/B000B68V6I in your tank?
I hope you are running a load, like a cube heater, when you run the generator. It should run, under load, for about a half hour at least and then cool down for about 5 min or so.
As long as your battery is good to go you should have no problems. Like any gas engine, starting in the cold depends on may factors. Good design and proper maintenance is the big one.
Happy and warm trails.
Rick Y
Old 02-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Generator

When I try to start my Travato 2017 Promaster 2800 Onan in cold weather and especially at higher altitude I get the same issue. Even priming it first doesn’t help. Needs several attempts. Just the way it is. Normally starts fine. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
RVCalypso

Another thing to check is the oil level. Onan generators have a low oil shut-off to prevent damage. Sometimes when the oil gets low they can take a bit longer to start. Also, as another poster said always run the generator under a load. Good luck.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wow, no messages and then several in one day! Thanks, everyone for your replies.

@ jerichorick, Yes, we do use Sta-Bil. We typically run a ceramic space heater when exercising the generator. I try to run it for an hour monthly.

We were at the RV last week. It was in the low 50’s and the generator started right up on the first time. So, my problem was either temperature or maybe some gunk in the generator that got cleaned out. Anyway, all is good now.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter on the generator? It is a porous element, so if it accumulated any moisture it would become restricted in freezing weather. After the generator runs for a while, the filter would warm up and if run long enough, the moisture would eventually disipate. Ethynol in fuel causes it to attract moisture. EDIT When the temp reached 50, the moisture no longer restricted the filter.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator