Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Similar Experiences? If so what did you do?

During my second most recent escape to the RV to 'exercise' the jacks, Gennie and engine I recieved a bit of a jolt! (pun intended)
The owners manual advises to always have the electrical line plugged in prior to starting the generator and I have always done this without incident. On this occasion it took the customary second toggle of the start switch before the gennie started up. Within seconds I could smell a problem and upon investigation recognized that the surge protector I had installed to protect the electronics had fried. Putting it down to a surge from the startup I replaced the surge protector, this time with a power bar/surge protector with an on/off switch figuring that with the switch off the electrical surge, should it occur would not make it to and blow the surge protector. I can then turn the bar on after the gennie has settled into a nice even tempo. It seems this worked however it must have again surged with the most recent startup as the GFI trip was activated in one circut only. As it happens it is the same circut that fried the surge protector. No other circut was affected. Once the gennie settles and the GFI is reset all seems well! There does not appear to be a reduction in power level (microwave works as well as ever, no need to fire up the AC [yet] in this climate)!
Any thoughts from the wealth of experience out there?

Thanks Rich
Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Similar Experiences? If so what did you do?

During my second most recent escape to the RV to 'exercise' the jacks, Gennie and engine I recieved a bit of a jolt! (pun intended)
The owners manual advises to always have the electrical line plugged in prior to starting the generator and I have always done this without incident. On this occasion it took the customary second toggle of the start switch before the gennie started up. Within seconds I could smell a problem and upon investigation recognized that the surge protector I had installed to protect the electronics had fried. Putting it down to a surge from the startup I replaced the surge protector, this time with a power bar/surge protector with an on/off switch figuring that with the switch off the electrical surge, should it occur would not make it to and blow the surge protector. I can then turn the bar on after the gennie has settled into a nice even tempo. It seems this worked however it must have again surged with the most recent startup as the GFI trip was activated in one circut only. As it happens it is the same circut that fried the surge protector. No other circut was affected. Once the gennie settles and the GFI is reset all seems well! There does not appear to be a reduction in power level (microwave works as well as ever, no need to fire up the AC [yet] in this climate)!
Any thoughts from the wealth of experience out there?

Thanks Rich
Old 03-07-2006, 03:01 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Saw this was disappearing at the bottom of the page without any reply for Rich....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:09 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">microwave works as well as ever </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the nuke was saved by the surge protector frankly. To me, it sounds like you need to get a check-up on your generator by authorized service.... It should not be putting out over 130vac and that's what your surge protector caught before it cooked. Is it an Onan? Has anybody been messin' with the carb or governor?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sorry Guys

Should have been more specific regarding the generator. Your guess is good one; An Onan 6.5 and it's been working fine until now. The rig's in storage at the house and nobody's been playing!

Thanks for the responses!

Rich
Old 03-07-2006, 03:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When the generator starts there should be a brief period of no AC power before it "comes on-line". Are you experiencing this? When you say that you are to have "the elecrical ine plugged in" is that the cord used to get AC from either shore or generator?
Old 03-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yep, the 30amp line which either plugs to shore power or plugs to generator outlet. As for the brief period of no AC I would have to check. How brief are we talking? 1-5 seconds? more?
I also don't understand why only the one circut would be affected. There are two with GFI protection yet only the one seems to trigger.

Rich
Old 03-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I think the delay on the generater is in the automatic changeover circuit which you dont have if you have to plug the shoreline into the generater outlet. One output on the generater is probably wired to the rear airconditioner and the other supplies the coach and front air. If you are getting a voltage surge it sounds like a defect in the voltage regulater.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I always turn off my main breakers before I start the gen set, start the generator, wait a minute to let it stabilize, then turn the main breakers on. You may want to try that.
ohiorvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rich
Turning off the main breaker is the conclusion I had come to as well. To be safe I'll add a generator checkup to the list for the next visit to the dealer in the event there is a voltage regulator issue. Thanks for the advice bflem!
Do the dealers routinly have the where-with-all to properly diagnose this type of issue or should I go directly to Onan service?

Again, thanks!
Rich
Old 03-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I always turn off my main breakers before I start the gen set, start the generator, wait a minute to let it stabilize, then turn the main breakers on. You may want to try that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no need to do this as there is approximately a 30 second time delay before the generator kicks into the circuit.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We had this also happen to us and the answer was go to Onan now and let them do the adjusting needed. We used our generator alot and no one ever messed with it so maybe it just happens over time. Our surge litterally burned the surge protector and everywhere the surge protector was touching anything. The stuff plugged in were not hurt though.

The tech at Onan said we were getting way to much power on start up.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Savannah:
We had this also happen to us and the answer was go to Onan now and let them do the adjusting needed. We used our generator alot and no one ever messed with it so maybe it just happens over time. Our surge litterally burned the surge protector and everywhere the surge protector was touching anything. The stuff plugged in were not hurt though.

The tech at Onan said we were getting way to much power on start up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
===================================

I agree go to Onan, they have the test devices to check it out correctly.
I have tried others that say they can fix them and payed for nothing when all was said and done I always ended up back at an Onan service center for the correct fix!

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

That settles it then!

Will let you know the results! Thanks everyone for the feedback!