Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I tried the search function, but couldn't see that the question has been asked or answered: does your genset audibly "bang" when you start it up or shut it down? Mine does, to the point it just doesn't seem like it's good for the unit. It's an Onan on an 05 Vectra, about 150 hours, and so far as I know has had regular maintenence. I checked the fluids yesterday, and oil/coolant were at spec.

Does your unit bang as well?

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I tried the search function, but couldn't see that the question has been asked or answered: does your genset audibly "bang" when you start it up or shut it down? Mine does, to the point it just doesn't seem like it's good for the unit. It's an Onan on an 05 Vectra, about 150 hours, and so far as I know has had regular maintenence. I checked the fluids yesterday, and oil/coolant were at spec.

Does your unit bang as well?

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 07-03-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No bang for me. I have about 500 hours on genny and have never had a bang on startup or shut down. Mine is the 7.5Kw Onan that runs on the Kubota diesel.
Walt
Old 07-03-2006, 04:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Walt. Didn't think it was normal despite what the salesman said when I picked it up last weekend. Don't normally have to use it, so will have them look at it when it goes in later this month.

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 07-03-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I think that is the first line that they teach them in salesman school "Oh, that's normal"

And the second one is "this baby will get (insert wild mpg here) miles per gallon".

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

What exactly do you mean by a "bang?" Our generator has a very noticeable low frequency rumble/shudder when first starting or stopping which to me just sounds like the result of the ignition/starting process. It has always done this and it runs like a Swiss watch after two or three seconds.

Sarge is so correct...

I always assume a salesman will lie to me either because A) there is an intent to deceive or B) they don't know the answer and don't want to appear ignorant and finding the correct response isn't important because that has nothing to do with making the sale.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mine exhibits the same sort of "bang" on shutdown. I've recently checked the mounting bolts but perhaps it needs to have the shock mounts replaced. Mine is a 2001.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

You can always tell when a salesman is lying to you....whenever his lips are moving
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I get a "bang" also. In this case I really do think it is "normal".
Old 07-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
You can always tell when a salesman is lying to you....whenever his lips are moving </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that's certainly a "time-worn" phrase, it's not always true....

Regrettably, there are "bad apples" in every line of work,whether it's RV or real estate sales or even health care management...

Thankfully, I truly believe I've found a salesperson that has not only the DEALERSHIP's best interest at heart, but the best interest of the customer as well.
In my last experience, while the service manager and his department were really good, I became disenchanted with the treatment I received from the salesman....

Gary, I believe in his case he fit your analogy....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

It's not unusual for a genset to kind of shuuder as it starts up or shuts down. My guess is that your "bang" is either a fuel line or exhaust pipe getting stressed or de-stressed during that moment of shudder/vibration. Maybe thhe exhaust pipe hits a support as it moves a bit?

Can you have someone else start the genset while you watch & listen closely?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

The 7.5 Onan in my Vectra shudders as you describe from time to time...Has always worked great!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I think my shudder could be include a "bang"
It's a 7500 Onan Diesel
Old 07-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have the 7500 and it also shudders. But works great.

Sweet40FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Model and spec of the generator?
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue with mine when it was new, salesman said "that's normal". BS, it's not normal for them to bang.

I started and stopped the genset while sitting there in front of it. It jumped all over the place because all of the mounting bolts were loose.

Also, the fuel line was routed incorrectly, and it had a sharp bend in it that surely would have kinked the line at some point. I re-routed the line to through the access hole provided in the framing.

I also shortened the virtical length of the exhaust pipe so it hugs the valence at the rear with about a 1/2" of clearance. Then I cut off the pipe at an angle so it only sticks out about an inch and a half.

It was a much cleaner installation when I got done with it and now works perfectly.

Don't forget to change the oil in the first 25 hours of operation.

--Chris Brown
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to EVERYBODY who replied, and my apologies for being so tardy in following up - work always gets in the way.

Anyway, John it is definitely a "bang" and not a shudder, but I haven't yet gotten around to having the wife start it while I sit outside in front of it. It's the standard Onan Diesel 7500, and from what I am reading the bang isn't normal. If I don't find anything from the visual on start up the next stop is the Cummins shop in Irvine, not too far away.

Thanks again for all the replies.

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 07-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Mine also has a big shudder when it starts, slightly smaller when it shuts down. Our cat (feline) jumps about a foot in the air when she is sitting on the dash and I start the genset. I will check for loose fastners.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

No such thing as a "standard" Onan diesel.

If you could supply us with model and spec number, we would know exactly what you have and some of us who happen to work on them might just know of any known issues.

Model and spec numbers are on the decal on the generator.

A diesel will "shudder" when first starting or when coming to a stop. If the mounts are loose, missing or broken one of the components may be getting banged against something else. Not good. You may have something else loose that is getting rattled at start/stop.

A bang such as a backfire is something else. Pretty unusual for a diesel to have that happen but not unknown.

'05 machine. Is it under warranty? If so, guess what I'd do. Yup, off to the dealer before the warranty runs out. Cummins is usually pretty good with their warranty, 2 years I believe.

Let us know what you find.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have had this bang. I was a muffler clamp hitting the frame. I was easy to find. With the generator off just shake the generator in its mounts in all directions till you find what is banging and I don't mean a gentle shake.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote