Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

"Disconnect before using external charger" - Ooops!

One of my aviation magazines had an article on a charger from HF that will disulfate old batteries, etc. It also has some nice automatic feature and good visuals. I hooked it to the engine battery for an hour or so... Then hooked it to the 2x12v house batteries in parallel. ...then, I saw the placard.

I disconnected the 2x12s and did them individually... BUT, is there anything I should be on the lookout for? The engine starts, the Gen works, but I'd hate to have some mystery issue pop up.

(the quickie stairs are acting up.. but I gather that comes with the territory)

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Which charger is that, sounds like worth a try, item #?
Khuuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Kh... Item: Item # 63299

Here's a little review.

I'll scan/post the pages off the magazine, as that particular guy is an 'electron' expert.

Jim
Old 05-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I did my own test on an old battery. I made a little test rig to use a dynamometer testing some urethane cord ends. It had been used perhaps 4X since Aug. 2010 ...and has sat in a shipping container since.

Unfortunately, I did not test it before I hooked it up to the 'repair' mode and left for home. I walked back in about 15hrs later and the charger was off. You can see the results in the photo. The tester reports fine also in 'load' mode.

I now have it on a small battery that was in a Meyers Manx I bought about 5yrs ago and it was 'dead to the world'. ..in fact, this new charger would not even see it; it repeatedly said; "Connect to posts" (or somesuch) I then hooked a dumb charger and left it for ~10hrs. This time the new charger accepted for the 'repair' mode. We'll see...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	895.9 KB
ID:	169583