Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Someone mentioned they use the equalize mode to charge their lithium battery faster. FWIW an equalize cycle uses 15.5VDC during this cycle. This may harm-destroy sensitive electronics.
Quote: " Equalizing is a high voltage charge that will convert lead sulfate back into active material. This has to be done within a reasonable amount of time for it to work. As stated earlier, the longer it goes on the harder it becomes to remove. Our batteries should be equalized at 15.5-16.3 volts for 6-8 hours."
reference: https://www.faqsclear.com/what-is-charge-equalization/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Someone mentioned they use the equalize mode to charge their lithium battery faster. FWIW an equalize cycle uses 15.5VDC during this cycle. This may harm-destroy sensitive electronics.
Quote: " Equalizing is a high voltage charge that will convert lead sulfate back into active material. This has to be done within a reasonable amount of time for it to work. As stated earlier, the longer it goes on the harder it becomes to remove. Our batteries should be equalized at 15.5-16.3 volts for 6-8 hours."reference: https://www.faqsclear.com/what-is-charge-equalization/
Most of the Magnum Remotes have an AGM2 setting which limits the equalizing voltage to 14.5. Very old chargers may not have that, but I am still using my original remote with my upgraded MS2000 inverter/charger combo. Everything works fine for lithium once you set it up right. That is why they have the "custom" setup screen on the remote. You have to learn to customize those voltages to optimize it for lithium.... and even at that those that come with a lithium option may not be optimized if they apply a float voltage 24/7. That ends up shortening the battery life.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Quote: " Equalizing is a high voltage charge that will convert lead sulfate back into active material. This has to be done within a reasonable amount of time for it to work. As stated earlier, the longer it goes on the harder it becomes to remove. Our batteries should be equalized at 15.5-16.3 volts for 6-8 hours."
reference: https://www.faqsclear.com/what-is-charge-equalization/
Absolutely, I equalized my lead-acid batteries once. And blew the 5A fuse in my 2 way fridge. I got lucky, no damage. But learned my lesson.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Most of the Magnum Remotes have an AGM2 setting which limits the equalizing voltage to 14.5. Very old chargers may not have that, but I am still using my original remote with my upgraded MS2000 inverter/charger combo. Everything works fine for lithium once you set it up right. That is why they have the "custom" setup screen on the remote. You have to learn to customize those voltages to optimize it for lithium.... and even at that those that come with a lithium option may not be optimized if they apply a float voltage 24/7. That ends up shortening the battery life.

I suspect you are confusing bulk-charging rates with equalization charging rates. Did you read the link I provided?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-06-2022, 05:48 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger settings are adjustable

Just to clarify:

The charge voltages -- Absorption; Float; and EQ -- are adjustable when "Custom" is selected under battery type.

They can be set anywhere from 12.0 to 16.0 volts (for a 12V system, 24V and 48V also available).

If set correctly, there is no danger from over-voltage.

That said, the other battery types have fixed voltages, and should not be used for LiFePO4 batteries. At least not the "flooded" or "AGM1" type, which have a 15.5V EQ setting.

"Gel" might work, as it is 14.1/13.6/14.1.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #26
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I think part of the questions come up because different chargers have different profiles amd various/ different settings. With my WFCO converter/charger I had to drop in a lithium compatible upgrade that deletes to float charge. Others chargers, may have a selectable option.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:24 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

It seems like much of the information found online is "dated" and mostly addresses lead-acid batteries. Technically "equalization" was a term used mostly for flooded batteries and it was about 15.5. In todays world of lithium, there is some carry over of term (probably used incorrectly) to mean "cell balancing" and the voltage is generally 14.5. When programming a Magnum remote using the custom setting, "equalization" is still displayed even though the voltage can be dialed in to 14.5. That is the problem when one remote is built to accomodate different battery chemistries.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I looked at many of the Magnum videos and I don't see where they get into the "custom" part of settings. I basically had to figure it out for myself. The solution to your problem is just dial into menu 9 (be sure you set your custom settings up). Go to Final Charge and dial in "silent". Push the button and an option for "rebulk" voltage comes up. I set mine at 13.2. Push to save and you should be pretty good for lithium in that it won't keep a full charge and it lets the batteries drift down to about 85% before it brings them back up to full and then removes all the charging including float. In my case, that is a week.... but be aware if you have a solar controller that is not lithium, you might still be holding the SOC up too high. I only have that issue in the Summer, and since I am travelling and using the batteries every day, it is not really a concern. I store outside in the Winter in full Sun (but the Sun is at a sharp angle) and I do not want the batteries sitting at 100% full time. I hope that makes sense. If not, give me a shout back.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:53 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
It seems like much of the information found online is "dated" and mostly addresses lead-acid batteries. Technically "equalization" was a term used mostly for flooded batteries and it was about 15.5. In todays world of lithium, there is some carry over of term (probably used incorrectly) to mean "cell balancing" and the voltage is generally 14.5. When programming a Magnum remote using the custom setting, "equalization" is still displayed even though the voltage can be dialed in to 14.5. That is the problem when one remote is built to accomodate different battery chemistries.
Thanks for the explanation, which makes logical sense; as Lithium batteries are not supposed to be float-charged or receive an equalization cycle-which is defined as ~15.5VDC..
The misuse of the word equalization is the stumbling block.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:24 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Thought I would resurrect this thread to show you how I utilized my outside 12V breaker panel to add a shut off for the dc-dc charger. The panel had some open slots which fit toggle switched nicely. The needed hot wire for the IGN on voltage is right there too. I was also able to put another switch on this panel (not shown) to supply power to my battery heater pads.
https://imgbox.com/OCE9D9qd
Old 01-10-2023, 07:11 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

My LiFe04 battery manufacturer also has no recommendation to stop charging at a state of charge less than 100% (just like Battleborn). They say it's fine to leave 14.4 to 14.6 volts across the battery string at all times and just let the BMS do its job and open the connection to the internal LiFe04 battery cells when the internal BMS senses the internal voltage of the four cells in series inside the battery case reaches the voltage that indicates almost 100% state of charge in the 14.4 volt range.

It may well be that LiFe04 cells have improved and older LiFe04 battery cells should not be charged to 100% but this does not seem to be the case with current ones.

That said, do what the manufactuer of your particular battery says to do. What people on the internet are telling you to do may not be right for your particular battery even if it is right for their particular battery.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:46 PM   #32
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
My LiFe04 battery manufacturer also has no recommendation to stop charging at a state of charge less than 100% (just like Battleborn). They say it's fine to leave 14.4 to 14.6 volts across the battery string at all times and just let the BMS do its job and open the connection to the internal LiFe04 battery cells when the internal BMS senses the internal voltage of the four cells in series inside the battery case reaches the voltage that indicates almost 100% state of charge in the 14.4 volt range.

It may well be that LiFe04 cells have improved and older LiFe04 battery cells should not be charged to 100% but this does not seem to be the case with current ones.

That said, do what the manufactuer of your particular battery says to do. What people on the internet are telling you to do may not be right for your particular battery even if it is right for their particular battery.
Great responsible and accurate answer. Thank you for the thoughtful contribution.

Tags
charging