Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

battery disconnect wiring 2021 Solis Class B Van

I am installing an inverter in a 2021 Solis and am wiring it into the panel through a transfer switch. In running the shore power through the switch I'm seeing that the converter/charger must also go through the switch to prevent charging the battery when the inverter is on and I'm stumped on the breaker panel wiring to the converter/charger. The 15 amp breaker to the converter charger has an extra black wire not shown on any Solis wiring diagram I can find.

I'm hoping it is a wire to the battery disconnect and, if so, it needs to also be wired through the transfer switch.
Any insights greatly appreciated.
stonedretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Without knowing WHICH 2021 Solis, there is no way to look at the drawings for info, so some general info may help.
Winnebago uses a system of labels stamped on the smaller wires like this example:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	186443

Then they give us the list to "decode" the wire ID and where it comes " from" and goes "to".
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

This often will give us an idea of what that specific wire might do, like from a fuse will be a power supply.

But I'm missing why you feel it needs to run through the transfer as most do not. Most that I see simply pass the AC power through the inverter to downstream when we are plugged in OR they use the battery to make the AC when not plugged in.
Most of those I have looked at have some form of switch to turn them off until we find we need AC while not plugged in and turn them on again.

But then I'm sure I'm missing a number of points on the deal.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 06:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks a bunch for replying.
Diagrams I have seen run the converter/charger through to the shore power terminal in the transfer switch, which makes sense to someone who knows just enough to be dangerous. In theory when the shore power is supplying power through the switch it is then charging the battery;when the inverter is supplying 120 through the switch it is not charging the battery which would be redundant and damaging to the battery.
I believe I identified the offending wire as a receptacle wire.

Thanks again for replying.
stonedretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sometimes we are prone to not reading what the other person is writing, so excuse me please if I am getting the wrong idea. But I have a bit different view on batteries than we often talk about.

We often thing of power going to a battery and then THROUGH it, but I think of it as more like a storage tank, if we were speaking of water. Water and power do work a lot alike-- as long as we do keep them seperated!

What I am getting at is that when we have any form of power setup, the power, by definition, moves from higher voltage to lower.
When we have anything to charge like a converter, it is expected to bput out a higher voltage like 13-14 volts and that makes the current "run downhill" to any battery that has a lower voltage.
Newer charging systems are designed with "smarts" enough to know when the battery voltage is low or higher and near reaching optimum storage levels. So they may start off putting out 14 volts into a really low battery as it will charge faster but as it reaches full the charge voltage backs down to not over charge the battery.

It may be just a way we tend to think of batteries as we put power in and then take it out of the other end??
I see it more like this when we are plugged into power!
We have some form of charger like the converter and it puts out higher voltage than the battery, so some power will go that direction but also power will go to anything using power, like lights, fans and also the inverter if it is turned on. But that power will be coming from the charger as the higher voltage and practically none from the batteries as they will be low and taking power in, rather than out!

Name:	plugged.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	186444

But if we unplug and leave all the user items turned on and the same, we find the power will still run from the highest point to the lower points.
The converter is somewhat like disconnected/turned off, so that path is gone but the path from the battery ( say 12Volts?) will then be the higher voltage point and power runs from it to anything using power (Negatives?)

Name:	not plugged copy.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	186445

It is usually a good idea to only turn the inverter on when we are NOT plugged in but we need 110AC for some use. It does use some battery power for the internal components even if we are not actually using any 110 AC power, so just saves some battery if we turn it off.
But if we turn it on, the inverter will use battery and we DO have AC power!

I think of the battery as simply storage and that means we put power in when we have lots of 12VDC, like when charger is running but take it out if there is no better/ higher voltage available.
It is not that the charger puts it in the battery and things we have turned on take it out of the battery but the power comes from the higher voltage that is online!

Just a bit different thinking but it makes it show that the battery is not "working any harder" under either condition.
But it is true that the battey WILL go dead quicker if we are not pluged in and the inverter is left alive---even if we are not meaning to use any AC power. The inverter components do use some power.
Same with the little wall wart chargers for phones, etc. ? When we leave them plugged into the AC outlet, they are setting there using power, pretending to make DC power, even if the phone is not connected to the cord!

On the good new chargers, when it reaches the optimum voltage on all parts of the setup, it automatically backs the voltage down to what is called float level, just a bit above 12. 8 that is the natural voltage of the chemicals in a fully charged lead acid battery.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 11:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Some inverters are also battery chargers. I would consider on of those as it would eliminate the need for the converter and the complexity of connecting and disconnecting it appropriately.

Inverter/chargers would charge the battery when there is another source of input power (shore power) in excess of the AC load, and take power from the batteries to produce AC only when an AC input is not present.

Solar and Engine alternator would also charge the battery. The battery would have three sources of charging and two drains (the inverter and the camper DC loads)
joda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 01:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Loovking for wiring diagrams for your Solis shows three different models.

It would really help us help you if you could tell us what Solis model you have. Here are the three different 2021 Solis models:

Solis (T)

36A (Serial Number begins with 15T1912)
59P (Serial Number begins with 15T2211)
59PX (Serial Number begins with 15T2511)

Tags
wiring, battery, battery disconnect