Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Are my house batteries charging? 1993 Brave 27

Hello, I have a question regarding my house batteries. I noticed that when I plug into a 110v adapter to my house, using a volt meter I see no change in voltage on my house batteries indicating, to me, they are not charging. Also when I turn on the RV the alternator is working on the starting battery it jumps to over 14v but again I see nothing on the house batteries? They stay at the same voltage. I'm thinking maybe solenoid is bad? Or does the 110 adapter to the onboard shoreline not charge like I thought it would? And does RV have to be actually driving to charge house batter and not at idle? Also, the AUX battery switch works fine any input is appreciated. My RV is a 1993 Winnebago brave 27'
MarioDC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You seem to have two charging systems which neither work as they should. That does leave one common item that may be fouling both!
You are correct in expecting the shore power to go tot he converter and on to charge the coach batteries. When engine is NOT running, this doesn't charge the chassis battery.

But you are also correct in the engine running should close the solenoid to connect both sets together!
Easy test for the solenoid operation is to check the two battery sets, coach and chassis voltage and they are likely to be a bit different. Then while watching the coach battery voltage, either start the engine and the voltage should change to what the alternator is putting out and increase /decrease as you rev the engine.
OR they can also connect together if you push a momentary switch somewhere near the dash and driver. It may be called different things on different RV. Aux, boost, etc. are common labels. Used to "jump start" a weak chassis battery by using the coach! You won't get the change and jump to above 13 when engine is not running but both sets should read the same when connected together!

But the converter charge to the coach is a different setup and needs a different look.
One easy thing to miss is that the coach battery disconnect has to be closed to get from the converter to batteries.
Easy to fall into the trap of wanting to not power any of the coach items, so we turn off the disconnect and shoot our foot because the battery doesn't get charged!
See if turning on the disconnect lets power flow to the coach batteries?
If they are low and RV is plugged in, watch the voltage and push the disconnect switch. The voltage should immediately jump high as you should be seeing it direct from the converter operating. Likely 13+ if in bulk charging and then go lower as full charge is reached.
Idea is to charge fast when battery is low but then back down to avoid over charging and boiling them dry?

Good luck on the chase. Batteries are so simple but they are also the thing that is most likely to confuse us!!
So be alert as they are also sneaky!!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
You seem to have two charging systems which neither work as they should. That does leave one common item that may be fouling both!
You are correct in expecting the shore power to go tot he converter and on to charge the coach batteries. When engine is NOT running, this doesn't charge the chassis battery.

But you are also correct in the engine running should close the solenoid to connect both sets together!
Easy test for the solenoid operation is to check the two battery sets, coach and chassis voltage and they are likely to be a bit different. Then while watching the coach battery voltage, either start the engine and the voltage should change to what the alternator is putting out and increase /decrease as you rev the engine.
OR they can also connect together if you push a momentary switch somewhere near the dash and driver. It may be called different things on different RV. Aux, boost, etc. are common labels. Used to "jump start" a weak chassis battery by using the coach! You won't get the change and jump to above 13 when engine is not running but both sets should read the same when connected together!

But the converter charge to the coach is a different setup and needs a different look.
One easy thing to miss is that the coach battery disconnect has to be closed to get from the converter to batteries.
Easy to fall into the trap of wanting to not power any of the coach items, so we turn off the disconnect and shoot our foot because the battery doesn't get charged!
See if turning on the disconnect lets power flow to the coach batteries?
If they are low and RV is plugged in, watch the voltage and push the disconnect switch. The voltage should immediately jump high as you should be seeing it direct from the converter operating. Likely 13+ if in bulk charging and then go lower as full charge is reached.
Idea is to charge fast when battery is low but then back down to avoid over charging and boiling them dry?

Good luck on the chase. Batteries are so simple but they are also the thing that is most likely to confuse us!!
So be alert as they are also sneaky!!!
Thanks man this is a great answer so you happen to know where this disconnect is located?
MarioDC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm doing a little guessing as the older drawings are not really as good as we might like? It kind of gets like they have been printed too many times!! A little fuzzy, so look close before trusting it too far?

The switch to disconnect the coach battery (I think) will be number 4 on this drawing.
Then I feel like number three is the AUX/Boost Or whatever they called it that day!!

Click these drawings to get a better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	disconn.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	187473

I think no 3 sends power down to the mode solenoid when. That power goes through the coil of the solenoid and then to ground it gets from the solenoid mounting screws!
When it gets power on the blue wire, the contacts close and coach battery on the big lug on the left is connected to the chassis battery on the right big lug.
Two big. normal looking battery cables!
This wire LR also gets power when we have the ignition on, so two ways or times when the solenoid operates!! Push the button or start the engine!
At one time they may have had tape at the ends to mark them with this code? The tape tends to come off or lost!

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	187475

Then the battery disconnect has wires from a switch. I think that is no. 4 on this drawing? But check that!
That switch can be rocked to engage or rocked the other way to disengage the relay it connects to that really then makes the connections to the battery.

I don't spot it on the drawings for your RV but they are almost always together and look just like the drawing shows. Maybe a panel outside behind the drivers door and a label saying solenoid and relay here? Good chance they are in behind a fuse or breaker panel there, so that they are a pin to get at but you may peak in an see them?

Solenoid is a silver metal can and relay is black plastic looking stuff (bakelight?)

Two different parts doing different things but they need each other, just I find it easier to look at each as separate. My mind won't handle it all at once!
On the disconnect, the switch sends power down the purple line to either engage/close the disconnect or the other disengages/opens the relay.

When this relay is closed, power comes from the coach batteries at left, goes through the relay to most of the RV and a line going to the generator starter solenoid to make it turns when trying to start!

A couple tricks that may help?
The solenoid is big and you can often here it thump if close and somebody pushes the switch! Or if you have chassis battery on the right side and short it to the small center post, you should here it thump to connect!
That thump means it is moving but if the contacts are burned too bad, they may not pass the current!

But I'm thinking the generator problem is in the battery disconnect part! If that relay doesn't close, the generator starter gets nothing!
This relay "latches" with a magnet gizmo, so it stays open or closed until it gets power on either LG or LH to move it the other way!
But if you can get a meter probe or wire in far enough to get on the right side of the relay, there should be no battery if open and then 12Volts when it closes. Those two black wires shown below right take power to the fuses/breakers for most of the inside lights, fans, pump in the RV!
If the inside lights work, that says this relay is closed, so if the generator still has nothing, start chasing that battery cable to the generator?

Hope not too much and blow your mind! I stumbled a lot getting this straight over time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	187474  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, brave, charging, house batteries