Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

AGM battery recommendations for 2020 Porto

Hello, i'm looking for advice on house battery. I have a 2020 Porto and the original NAPA 8231 house batteries are not holding charge well (probably because I haven't kept up with the watering in the hot texas weather as I should have).

I'm thinking of upgrading to AGM this time to avoid watering maintenance. I had a recommendation for the interstate 31M-AGM-A but they appear terribly backordered. I can get the 31M-AGM but they are alot more expensive. If they will provide a real advantage or last longer i would consider it. Anyone have experience with either of these batteries?

Thanks!
Porto2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Alternatively, i found the renogy AGM Deep cycle 12V 200Ah. Could one of these replace the 2 12V 100Ah batteries i currently have that are connected in parallel?

I'm no electrician, so I don't know if it's that simple to have 1 battery w/ 200Ah vs. 2 100Ah batteries in parallel.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2022, 06:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Batteries are one of those places where we do get lots of confusion, so careful study can help.
Some basics as I see it?
The group size like 31 is the basic shape and size of batteries and seems to be one of the standard things we can depend on. But then it can pay to look at how and where the current batteries set and see if it might be possible to squeeze in something a bit larger, etc if we run across what seems like an improvement worth chasing.
Length,width and height are not that hard to measure and one of the easy things to find for step one.
No need study batteries that there is no way to fit them in!

Step two for me is a bit more difficult to pin down on different batteries from different folks. A big part of the deep cycle question is what that means. A "true deep cycle" is built to give a fairly low CCA but much longer output. Instead of giving a big burst of energy like if you are needing to crank a great big engine versus what we want to just run a few 12VDC items while we camp.
But you are far more likely to get a "combo" or hybrid that is designed to start a boat engine and then work for a day of trolling motor use.
So I don't worry the CCA rating as I'm not starting cranking a cold engine! But the total amp hour available is a more important rating.
So you are speaking of storage for energy and 1 200 amphour is close to two -100 amp.
Two buckets of water connected together instead of one bigger bucket might apply, so it often gets into other items like size and price. Connecting them is not very hard to work out.
I have not dealt with changing to AGM as we do not dry camp often enough to merit giving it much thought and certainly not enough to merit the extra expense.
AGM is less work and I'm not against that but just not what worked for us.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porto2020 View Post
Alternatively, i found the renogy AGM Deep cycle 12V 200Ah. Could one of these replace the 2 12V 100Ah batteries i currently have that are connected in parallel?

I'm no electrician, so I don't know if it's that simple to have 1 battery w/ 200Ah vs. 2 100Ah batteries in parallel.

Thanks!
That sounds like a good plan to me. Since I have 3 house batteries, I'm planning to buy 3 Renogy 100A AGM deep-cycle batteries. Renogy had them on sale in November for $100 ea. on Amazon, now they are $200 ea. I"m hoping for a repeat sale this winter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thx for the comments. I just remeasured my battery bay and the 200Ah battery won't fit so I'll be going with the 2x 100Ah batteries.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Check for deep-cycle AGMs at Sam's Club - occasional sales throughout the year. The ease of maintaining eliminates a lot of issues and I believe they're more durable if charged / used properly. The charging profile is different from wet cells so see if your charging system has an AGM profile to give you optimum performance.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Check FB Winnebago Vita & Porto Owners page

We are owners of a 2020 Vita24p/2018 chassis. We changed to AGM batteries recently.

There is lots of discussion on the Facebook Winnebago Vita and Porto Owners and Wannabees page. It is helpful.
Cgtrapp138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:47 PM   #8
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porto2020 View Post
Hello, i'm looking for advice on house battery. I have a 2020 Porto and the original NAPA 8231 house batteries are not holding charge well (probably because I haven't kept up with the watering in the hot texas weather as I should have).

I'm thinking of upgrading to AGM this time to avoid watering maintenance. I had a recommendation for the interstate 31M-AGM-A but they appear terribly backordered. I can get the 31M-AGM but they are alot more expensive. If they will provide a real advantage or last longer i would consider it. Anyone have experience with either of these batteries? Changing to Lithium will probably require a new charger.

Thanks!
I recently bought a 50 amp hour LiFePO4 battery for my trolling motor, it was just over $200 US, if you need 200 AH in lead acid 100 AH in Lithium is pretty much equal because only half of the capacity of a lead acid battery is available without damaging the battery, whereas the Lithium battery can be drawn down to nearly 100%!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery