Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2023, 07:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding a Solar Panel to Voyage 2831RB?

Does anyone know if there is room to add a second solar panel to the roof of a 2024 Voyage 2831RB?

Reading the electrical specs from the WB website, one would believe that the side mount is the only option for an additional panel.

Electrical Specs:
- 200-watt solar panel with 30-amp charge controller and resettable breaker
- Side-mount solar prep for additional panel
- Inverter prep

I am looking at a 50 amp, 2 A/C 2831RB.
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

At nearly 32ft long, there’s plenty of real estate on the roof of a 2831RB to mount many more panels if you want. The only question is where on the roof do you want it. Electrical specs indicate the existing panel is wired to a 30 amp charge controller which can easily handle two panels wired in series or parallel. Easy to do with a parallel harness that just plugs right into the mc4 connectors on the gland. I’m presuming you haven’t bought the trailer yet. You can of course, go to a dealer and look on the roof, or call the dealer and ask where the stock panel is mounted. It’s probably up front near the entry gland. Should be easy enough to mount a second panel directly behind or to the side of it, and route your cables to the gland. I’m gonna guess there’s room for eight panels on the roof of that trailer. I would ask the dealer to have someone climb up and take a picture that can be sent to you.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
At nearly 32ft long, there’s plenty of real estate on the roof of a 2831RB to mount many more panels if you want. The only question is where on the roof do you want it. Electrical specs indicate the existing panel is wired to a 30 amp charge controller which can easily handle two panels wired in series or parallel. Easy to do with a parallel harness that just plugs right into the mc4 connectors on the gland. I’m presuming you haven’t bought the trailer yet. You can of course, go to a dealer and look on the roof, or call the dealer and ask where the stock panel is mounted. It’s probably up front near the entry gland. Should be easy enough to mount a second panel directly behind or to the side of it, and route your cables to the gland. I’m gonna guess there’s room for eight panels on the roof of that trailer. I would ask the dealer to have someone climb up and take a picture that can be sent to you.
Thanks for the reply and thank you for your service. Retired Navy here.

Yes, looking at this trailer for my next one, once I sell the one I have now. I have been to the dealer once to look at it. I did not pay much attention to the solar arrangement and I did not get up on the roof and look around.

If there is room for 8 panels, why the side mount prep for additional panels? Camping in the shade?

I am about 98% sure this will be my next trailer.

I am thinking, add one more panel and upgrade to two premium lithium batteries to run the essential DC equipment. We don't boondock except overnight on the way. Not sure about the 12VDC fridge on this trailer though. My current fridge is propane.
Woolecox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolecox View Post
Thanks for the reply and thank you for your service. Retired Navy here.

Yes, looking at this trailer for my next one, once I sell the one I have now. I have been to the dealer once to look at it. I did not pay much attention to the solar arrangement and I did not get up on the roof and look around.

If there is room for 8 panels, why the side mount prep for additional panels? Camping in the shade?

I am about 98% sure this will be my next trailer.

I am thinking, add one more panel and upgrade to two premium lithium batteries to run the essential DC equipment. We don't boondock except overnight on the way. Not sure about the 12VDC fridge on this trailer though. My current fridge is propane.

Thank you for serving. I spent a lot of time on ships.

400w rooftop solar (2x 200w) and 400ah (2x 200ah) of LiFePo4 should be ideal for that size Rv. Of course, you’ll want to install an inverter or inverter/charger, to optimize your setup. Inverter/Charger a bit more, but gives you extremely fast charging of your batteries. The solar and batteries can be added in steps (start with 200 solar and 200 batteries), as long as you start out with an inverter/charger or converter/charger upgrade. Some of the newer models have programmable chargers, but they still won’t do as good a job as an inverter/charger. IMHO, since you’re going to want an inverter anyway, may as well just jump directly to inverter charger, which kills two birds with one stone for less money.

Yes, sidewall solar prep is for portable panels. Most WBGO give you the port, but no charge controller for the port. Put a mppt charge controller between the port and batteries. This will enable you to put portable panels 30ft away from the RV. Do not buy a portable panel with built-in controller. We installed a side port wired to a seperate mppt, and often used it when we’re were parked in shade.

You can take a look at my albums for ideas on installation. Sold mt trailer on doctors orders, but I still lurk the forum, and available for help.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, voyage