Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

7.5 Onan Generator hard starting cold

I have an 04 Journey with a 7.5 Onan that is hard to start cold. I am suspecting an issue with the glow plug system. When I first start the generator cold, there is no delay, or preheat. It goes to crank mode right away without preheat. Priming seems to have no effect. When the unit finally does start, it runs as it should after clearing out the un-burned fuel. After the gen has run, it starts right up warm. I bought the factory service and parts manuals from Cummins to figure out this issue. I suspect, but am not sure yet, that it has a bad temp sensor from what I have read in the manual. It has sometimes thrown a code 33, which is a high temp issue. Not the case when starting cold, so I believe the code is an error, or ecm is reading that the temp is high when cold and not turning on the glow plug system. Has anyone else out there had this trouble and found it to be a temp sensor at fault? I did buy a new sensor and also a water pump belt to change just because. I am trying to figure out the best way to lower the gen down to remove panels. The service manual says, no matter what panel you want to remove, the top panel has to come off first, is this true? So prep the gen to lower, remove panels, and reinstall gen to do the electrical check? If their is a short cut to this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
bigtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

OP: How many hours are on your Onan 7500?

I think you are on the right track. Your temp sensor can rust and send mixed-messages to your control board.

...So change your thermostat.

...And/or change your fuel filter first if you have not done so.

...If you still have issues, you may need to consider the fuel pump?

Keep us posted on your fix!

Thanks.

PS

My 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD Genset is on a slideout. Is your Journey?

Note: The fan belt is in back and there is no access or trap door back there. But if you have to drop your AC then then you might consider replacing it.
Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan