Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2022 2108DS stabilizer jacks stopped working

I am in contact with Winnebago. They sent me the wiring diagrams so I am good there, but the inline fuse for the stabilizer jacks is not to be found. I replied to the 'case' email but I guess I have to call them as I have not got a reply.

The tongue jack works, all other DC loads are working. No blown fuses that I can find (can't find the jacks inline fuse the wiring diagram shows)

I am using the front jacks to test. There is good voltage at the wires going into the switches (red and black).
  • If I actuate any switch the voltage goes to zero.
  • I removed the battery and tested with just the converter
    • Voltage was good
    • Actuate switch, v goes to zero
  • Put the battery back and turned off converter
    • Voltage was good
  • Took RV batter out, jumped leads to my car battery with car running
    • Voltage was good
  • Replaced crimped connections with wire nuts.
    • Same issue
My next test will be to directly connect one of the the front stabilizer jack's motor to the battery.

The draw is crow-barring the voltage if I actuate any of the four switches. I don't think all four motors shored out at the same time (that would blow the fuse anyway...)

I am used to this beaviour if there is a bad connection or the fuse is partially blown.

Anyone know where the inline fuse is?

TIA,
Sam
2022 2108DS
Old 09-02-2023, 10:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not getting enough info but too much!
You tell us about the voltage but not WHERE? Are you looking at the battery to get the readings or some other point?
If testing at the battery, that sounds far more like a short than blown fuse??
Stuck motor acting as a dead short as it doesn't move? But that would be assumed to have a fuse which should blow. Any thoughts of a auto rest breaker which then resets to let you try again?

There are several posts on the forum about lost 12V power on various trailers and one common item seems to be a metal 4X4 box located just forward of the trailer body but underneath the frame so that one has to look from underneath to spot it.

Pictures indicate there are two breakers, one outside but another inside and fully hidden behind wiring that takes a really good look and search to find the tiny reset button!

I'll do a search to see if I can find the posts but if the RV is handy, maybe take a look for that box as maybe quicker than me finding the posts??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

On the other hand? I may have found the correct post for you to check:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...bs-366931.html

Maybe look it all over and then there is a second link on post number 5 which may also help?

Kind of "seat of the pants" thought as not all trailers may be the same? But possibly a place to look for a tiny little button on the side of a micro switch looking part hidden down under the wires. Maybe something in that box as it seems to hold a number of different circuits going to different things.

If you have a good set of drawings from Winnebago, that is kind of my field and we can look it over if you can get it posted online anywhere?

Best of luck on the search!
Old 09-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I thought I said at the wiring of the front switches, my bad. I disconnected
the main power in (split to second switch) and then tested open circuit
voltage. Good.

Connected to one switch and actuated the switch. V goes to zero at the
switch. No motor sound.

When I run the hitch jack, and watch the voltage at the solar charger, it
goes down .2 volts.

I did look at the wiring threads. They don't cover the stabilizers. I did look at all the fuses/breakers mounted to the tongue... Don't get me started on that design... And opened the galvanized double gang box. I did not see an inline fuse.The power comes to the forward stabilizers from the back of the trailer. It comes out then goes up to the stabilizer wiring. May have to pull the converter to find the origin point.

Winnebago diagrans do not show where it originates.

I am going to connect a battery directly to the switch next.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I looked at the wiring diagram that Winnebago sent and the jack appears to be the tongue jack not the stabilizer jacks. The hunt continues.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay, a couple thoughts to let you check for what you have done to see if it makes any sense?
This communications stuff is harder than it looks so I may not be getting the right ideas of what you are testing and how??
When looking at RV switches, it is sometimes "different" like a lot of things on RV.
The switch may not have battery and ground to it but may just pass battery through!

My main hangup on the voltage going to zero is that means you are connecting some ground to totally wipe out the 12V and that really should blow a fuse or breaker! Kind of hard to connect 12V to ground without noticing "something" happen!

I don't want to hammer a dead idea but that little bitty micro switch sized thing is one that a lot of people missed seeing as it is tiny and mounted to the bottom/back inside of the box and under lots of wires. I agree it seems like they were really putting too much stuff in one box!

That can set us up to make a mistake if we are looking at a switch using one line as ground and the other as battery! When we then switch it on, the voltage appears to go zero but it is not that it dropped but the two points we were testing are both the same voltage and that means no difference to read on the meter?
Reading with one probe on ground like the frame, etc. and seeing voltage go down gets a different thing?

But that's where I don't know how and where you were putting the probes when the voltage seemed to go down? One of those little tricky things that might snag us if we are used to the way other stuff is wired and wanted to mention it???

On motorized there is a code stamped on the small wires. Is it the same on trailers? Don't know but I'll pass this idea along---just in case?
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	187140
Then if we find a code, we can use this chart to find the "from" and "to" of that wire:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Sorry but I'm still hung on finding that tiny little breaker hiding in the box as so many have had trouble spotting it!
Old 09-03-2023, 09:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What brand and model is your stabilizing system?? Without that information we must play a guessing game.
Keep in mind the 12V positive wire is only of the circuit. Test the ground half too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks