Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2023, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water leak from slide locks

Ok I think this is my issue but I'm confused on the drain holes I read about and not sure this applies? I have a 2009 Journey 39Z with two big slides. I upgraded to the cloth awnings last year. Shortly after that we had a rain storm and I found water on the couch. Traced it down to the water was puddling on he new awnings and coming through. The high grade fabric used by "Shade Pro". which was not a good experience with these people to begin with. So in the center of the slide roof is the black lock box cover? It leaks against the wall in the cabinet of the slides where the lock box is and into the cabinet. It's doing this on both sides now?

Has anyone come across this and if so thank you in advance? There was a post on drains but not sure where the drains would be. Its mounted dead center on top of the slide roof closest to the far wall
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This has happened to my 2009 Journey. The slide lock has a thin drain tube that drains out down the outside wall. The drain tube clogs easily since the tube inside diameter is about 1/8 to 3/16 inch. You will have to find something small and stiff enough to ream out the tube. My full wall slide has two locks and the sofa slides has one lock. Bed slide has none. Try to clean the tubes each time you wax the rig since you will have the ladder out anyway.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Pipe cleaners work great for cleaning those drain tubes.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I find the interactive drawings much nicer to use and knowing how Winnebago does keep things year to year, I went to the 2011 model to look at this drain. Does this look the same for your 2009, etc.?

Click to get better view.
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch drain.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	187040

Seems to be very short run on a small tube. We clean this sort of things with air when they stop up. Any chance you can hold a small tube over the hole and simply blow into it hard enough to clear debris? Or would it need a compressor?
One problem with tubes that are getting older and tend to get brittle is that we can push a wire through the tubing side and then we DO have a big problem as we have to get the equipment apart to replace the tube!

Alternate thought to try to avoid shooting our foot?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Richard sorry about the delayed response! It's very hard for me to tell where that drain is? I have a blk plastic cover in my cabinet above my sofa. I didn't really notice a drain tube. Now it only happened once to me. I believe it was due to the new awning upgrade to the cloth material and the water came through the fabric. Above my kitchen sink the headliner material has kind of came loose also. Its ok though above the couch
Old 10-23-2023, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Take a look at post 2 above and see if it fits what you have? You probably have to look from the outside and maybe even need a ladder to spot a small point like the end of a drain tube??
Or there are times when water finds a way in and we never know how?
Old 12-02-2023, 12:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Still kind of lost on drain line. Very hard me to picture where this line is? Very possible that this is my issue. Funny thing only seen it leak once?
Old 12-02-2023, 03:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

What I read into their post above at 2 is that there is a small plastic tube that leads from the slide lock to the outside, so that water that would collect in the slide lock will then have a way to drain outside?
Can you spot anything like a small hole from the outside? That might be the outer end of the tube and you might try to clear it by blowing air into the hole?
Possible it was not enough water inside to leak in except one time. It may just depend on random things like which way the RV is tilted?
Maybe most of the time the water runs toward the outer edge, etc. instead of into the latch hole?
Nature can be a mean mother to figure at times!!
Old 12-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You may eliminate the ponding on the topper by tightening the springs one round at a time until the ponding is eliminated. Over-tightening can cause the slide room to not fully extend at the top.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you still haven't located the drain. If you look under your slide topper you should be able to see the slide lock depression, it is at the center of the slide. come straight out from that box and you should see a rubber grommet of sorts, that is your lock pocked drain. I will try to find a picture so you know what your looking for. As others have said use a pipe cleaner to clear the hole
Old 12-04-2023, 09:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Pulled these screen shots from a manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 111157.png
Views:	19
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	188012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 111118.png
Views:	22
Size:	162.0 KB