Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 32YE Grill bracket coming free of epoxy

Hi All,
I tried to post this in the other thread but it says the thread is too old to post to...
I have a 2018 Vista 32YE with 12,000 miles on her.
Well after getting home from a 500 mile trip from Florida i noticed the front grill wasnt properly closed on the passenger side. I heard something strange on the trip , kind of a light banging sound during the journey but it was intermittent and i couldnt pinpoint it.
I even did a walkaround at the next gas stop but didnt notice the grill.
After trying to relatch the grill i knew something wasnt right, and low and behold the bracket on the passenger side was very loose.
It appears the metal bracket was loose in the epoxy bed but still holding on by the epoxy that seeped thru the holes.
So off to the forums i go...
After reading ALL the posts on this issue and all the remedies applied.. some successful(for now) , some not.. and knowing that without removing the entire front end , laying it flat , clamping everything down and doing the job properly ... it would be a shot in the dark as to whether any epoxy fix would hold at all or for how long.
Also the thought of worrying whether the grill was falling off everytime i hit a bump for the entire foreseeable future of owning this motorhome IS NOT very appealing to me!
So after some serious deliberation and planning i went BOLD!
I used a razor blade to remove the epoxy from two holes on either bracket (2nd from top and second from bottom), just made it flush to the bracket.
I drilled a small pilot hole from back to front , and then after running the bit in reverse until i got the hole semi drilled, i drilled thru from the front .
I used 10-24x1 Stainless screws with a dress ring and a teflon washer thru the front, and a 3/16x1 stainless washer and a stainless locknut on the back .
To be honest i think it looks pretty good and if you didnt know they weren't supposed to be there .. you wouldn't look twice.
And more importantly, my grill problem is fixed for life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_115956.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	174959  
UrbanTarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looks like a good fix! I like the idea of fixing it once, rather than fixing it many times.
If we don't have time to do the job right, how will we ever have time to do it over?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Looks like a good fix! I like the idea of fixing it once, rather than fixing it many times.
If we don't have time to do the job right, how will we ever have time to do it over?
Thank you
The problem with this is , it was allegedly done "right" the first time .. and "right" barely lasted 12,000 miles! So I wasnt all that thrilled with putting in all that time and work .... just to duplicate a failure.
UrbanTarzan is offline   Reply With Quote