Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

Plastic Radiator Overflow Tank Epoxy Fix (ISB/ISC/ISL) Preventative Service (PM)

If you have over 75,000 miles on your coach, and your engine is outfitted with a plastic radiator overflow tank, chances are you have already replaced the tank because it started leaking at the seams.

So now you are running around with a new tank thinking it will be a few years before you put another 75,000 mile, but did you know you can perform a PM on your tank that will prevent a second time repair?

HOW TO PREVENT YOUR OLD OR NEW PLASTIC OVERFLOW TANK FROM LEAKING AT THE SEAMS:

* Pick up a large package of Clear JB Weld (5-minute type) $12

* Use yellow tape above and below the tank seam line

* Mix 1.5 oz of resin with 1.5 oz of hardener on a paper plate and work quickly

* Use an old tooth brush to apply epoxy to the tank seams

Note: I would also put some newspaper in your engine bay to catch the epoxy drips. ...And you will want to peal the yellow tape off when you find the epoxy starts setting up (4 minutes out of 5).

* Repeat... Tape... Apply a second coat of epoxy.

You will only be able to epoxy the front seams and around the sides of the tank, but this most the area most prone to leaking, because the sun hits the tank on this side.

To do the job "right" I suppose you would have to unbolt the plastic tank, but I did not do this. Of course, if you bought a new tank I would do this PM all the way around.

And for those of you still driving with your first plastic tank, you might want to do this PM sooner rather than later; and BTW, your alternator diodes will probably not survive if they get wet with antifreeze. So there are secondary effects and extra costs you need to be aware of, if your plastic tank starts to leak!

It only takes ~30 minutes each time you tape and epoxy!

And I highly recommend wearing latex gloves!

EXTRA TIP: The next time you are filling up and spot a DEF funnel left behind by a Dodge or Chevy diesel pick-up owner... grab it! I use this for everything! And it even makes filling your tranny fluids easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200910_135235.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	174941   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEF Funnel Is The Best.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	174942  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags