Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
2005 Minnie 22R

Vinyl insert on sidewall screw covers

The vinyl inserts that covers the fasteners along the sidewall and up the cab- over have weathered and shrunk. Has anyone replaced these? The metal sidewall piece has tabs on the ends that fold over the end of the vinyl and I'm hesitant to bend these open to remove and replace the vinyl.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Tim Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Tim, could you please at the very least give us the year and model of your RV? And, in this case a photo of what you're taking about sure would help a bunch.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
2005 Minnie 22R

Here is the info and photo:
2005 Minnie Winnie 22R

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200806_155524475.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	174491
Old 08-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not sure of the question but perhaps a look at the parts catalog here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...05/5wf322r.pdf
I think you are asking about exterior trim and that is down about page 75-80 to spot exact which?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
2005 Minnie 22R

Thanks for the info. I want to replace the vinyl and it attaches under that metal tab.The metal tab looks like it might slide out the end but I don't want to force it. Other option is to bend it out remove the screw holding the vinyl and bend it back but metal never bends back flush.

At first I thought the vinyl would simply pull out but it's definitely attached to the sidewall with a small screw.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Site Team

That is standard plastic trim insert and is available in rolls both online and at RV supply stores. There are a couple of different shapes and widths but most are similar. Some shapes are easier to install but loose their shape faster. While thicker plastic lasts longer but is harder to Install. You can even pick it up at Camping World stores.

Search for “rv vinyl cap molding“ or “ rv vinyl screw covering”

I’ve replaced mine on previous RVs it was straight forward but not super easy. As to the tabs mine did not have those style caps. If you need to bend that tab to get at a screw you most likely can replace the end cap. But it may not be easy to find. Sorry I cannot help with that.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
2005 Minnie 22R

Thank you for responding. I've selected the vinyl cover material I'm going to use. Those metal tabs are the hold up. May have to call Winnebago and hope to find someone that has replaced those as a service call. They look like they with some effort "should" slide off the end.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Craig View Post
The vinyl inserts that covers the fasteners along the sidewall and up the cab- over have weathered and shrunk. Has anyone replaced these? The metal sidewall piece has tabs on the ends that fold over the end of the vinyl and I'm hesitant to bend these open to remove and replace the vinyl.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
I replaced mine on a 2004 Minnie. Easy job.
jbarry130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

They zipper right out however the job is a lot easier when they have been warmed up by a few hours of sunshine on a warm sunny day. Pretty common item thats been used on camping trailers and motor homes for over 50 years now. You can buy it in a variety of widths and colors now too.

Yes some installers add a small screw at each end to fight shrinkage and to keep them from unzipping while traveling, Some get thinner when they shrink and almost come out by themselves when they get old.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
US1
Winnebago Camper

You can pull the insert out of the metal track away from the end, then heat the insert end with a hair dryer to make it soft. Doesnt take much heat for it to turn to rubber. Then just pull on the trim from the end till the screw pulls thru the trim. When reinstalling, just have the trim go over the screw head. Most inserts are not screwed in. That will avoid cracking the end cap paint, if you wish to avoid that.
When installing new trim, don’t stretch it. I always make a hair long and then install. Kinda like bunching it up if you will.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

You may have a nasty surprise when you remove the vinyl strip that covers the screws. On my Itasca Cambria 2005, I found that more than half of the screws underneath were so corroded that they were no longer holding anything tight. The threads on the screws were all rusted away. That jogged my memory because 4 years ago on a Winnebago factory tour it was mentioned that they had upgraded the quality of the screws they were using.
The screws they use on the side panels, on my Cambria, were #8, 3/4", kind of a semi-rounded phillips head. I chose to oversize the screws with #10 replacements. The huge industrial mail order house, McMaster Carr sells just about every kind of fastner made, including those which are made to be used on aluminum with minimal corrosion problems. I got some #10 self-tapping "Aluminized" screws to use in those corroded holes. Also used some 3M Molycote on the threads to help minimize corrosion. However, some of the holes were so corroded that I had to go another size larger to #12 screws. And on two of the holes I had to go another size larger to 1/4" diameter screws. I also cautiously added a few extra holes & screws. The repairs have held up well on our 4 month trip last year.
I am a retired aerospace reliability engineer who spent many years working on failure modes and accelerated life testing on electronics and missiles. I really like my 2005 Cambria from the engineering standpoint, but the manufacturing on the coach was not done particularly well. Materials, workmanship, and sub-contractor control have a number of deficiencies.
billr
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Yes indeed pay attention and use fasteners designed to play well with the aluminum tracks. Many make the mistake of using stainless or brass screws and then find the screw holes in the aluminum eaten out so badly (often in a very short time) that the screw heads are now pulling through. You do not want to use screws so dissimilar that you end up creating a battery.

Tags
scr